Game #195: Discography

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
A Non E. Muss

Re: Game #195: Discography

#51 Post by A Non E. Muss » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 am

I'm noticing that a few of the names in List B have the same first letter in their first & last names (Farrah Fawcett, Steve Stevens, Mitch McConnell, etc.). Could this be a clue to the Tangredi?

themanwho

#52 Post by themanwho » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:57 am

B-83. This playwright won his third Pulitzer Prize for an experimental nine-act play.

Eugene O'Neill, Strange Interlude
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

franktangredi

#53 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:41 am

So what can I do to help?

A Non E. Muss

#54 Post by A Non E. Muss » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 am

I looked up some answers for Part B just to get this game going again.

B-15. His discoveries in the field of immunology led him to become the first Belgian to win the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

JULES BORDET

B-18. He delivered the last line – which was also the title – of a popular 1960s all-star comedy. (No, not that popular 1960s all-star comedy … though he appeared in that one as well.)

BEN BLUE

B-19. This Nobel laureate was a key figure in the Trümmerliteratur ("rubble literature") movement that arose in postwar Germany.

HEINRICH BOLL

B-25. This jurist – the first Supreme Court Justice to hire a law clerk – was succeeded on the bench by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

HORACE GREY

B-45. A hero of the Franco-PrussianWar, he became known as General Revanche for his extreme nationalism and desire to avenge France’s defeat.

GEORGES ERNEST BOULANGER

B-46. This philosopher posited a system of three worlds in which World One was the physical world, World Two was the world of the mind, and World Three was the body of human knowledge.

KARL POPPER

B-55. A member of the Will Eisner Award Hall of Fame, this underground cartoonist is best known for his creation of a hedonistic wizard whose mystical hat covers his entire body down to his legs.

VAUGHN BODE

B-71. This architect’s work included the triumphal arch in Washington Square Park, the Boston Public Library, and an arena that was demolished in 1925.

STANFORD WHITE

B-77. This boxer, who took his ring name from a fast-firing weapon, held the World Light Heavyweight title for two years in the early 1950s.

JOEY MAXIM

B-80. The last words of this war criminal– convicted at Nuremberg for coordinating slave labor for the Third Reich – were, “I die an innocent man, my sentence is unjust. God protect Germany! May it live and one day become great again! God protect my family."

FRITZ SAUCKEL

B-89. Though he spent much of his career painting dogs and horses, this Victorian artist also created the lion sculptures in Trafalgar Square.

EDWIN LANDSEER

franktangredi

#55 Post by franktangredi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:34 am

I think I finally came up with something that was too hard to find. Should I give a bigger hint - such as giving you one correct match and letting you work from there - or just throw in the towel?

Sorry this one was so hard.

jarnon

#56 Post by jarnon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:02 am

franktangredi wrote:I think I finally came up with something that was too hard to find. Should I give a bigger hint - such as giving you one correct match and letting you work from there - or just throw in the towel?

Could you give us a clue to the other wrong answer (besides Garibaldi)? I looked and looked but can't find it.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#57 Post by franktangredi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:52 am

jarnon wrote:
franktangredi wrote:I think I finally came up with something that was too hard to find. Should I give a bigger hint - such as giving you one correct match and letting you work from there - or just throw in the towel?

Could you give us a clue to the other wrong answer (besides Garibaldi)? I looked and looked but can't find it.
B-76 is still wrong. Oort fulfills half of the requirements of the clue, but someone else fits both.

A Non E. Muss

#58 Post by A Non E. Muss » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:17 am

B-76. This Dutch astronomer made important discoveries about the structure of the Milky Way and discovered the globules of interstellar gas and dust that bear his name.

BART BOK

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#59 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:29 am

A Non E. Muss wrote:B-76. This Dutch astronomer made important discoveries about the structure of the Milky Way and discovered the globules of interstellar gas and dust that bear his name.

BART BOK

So many weird names in this game. This one might actually take the cake, but I still can't make anything out of it...

Has mrkelley been around lately?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

franktangredi

#60 Post by franktangredi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:57 am

I will offer this advice. Forget the songs for the moment. Try to see what people might be paired together and work the songs in later.

jarnon

#61 Post by jarnon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Now that the two wrong answers have been identified, the others in the Sept. 19 consolidation must all be right…

Game #195: Discography

Identify the 45 songs in List A and the 100 people in List B. Then, match each song to two people, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Five songs will be used twice.

LIST A: SONGS

A-1. Rock of Ages – Def Leppard

A-2. Barracuda -- Heart

A-3. Have You Ever Seen the Rain – Creedence Clearwater Revival

A-4. Back to Black – Amy Winehouse

A-5. Good Morning Starshine -- Oliver

A-6. Closer – Nine Inch Nails

A-7. Sweet Emotion -- Aerosmith

A-8. Playground – Another Bad Creation

A-9. Puppy Love – Paul Anka or Donny Osmond

A-10. This Kiss – Faith Hill

A-11. I Like It — Dino

A-12. Mr. Roboto -- Styx

A-13. Stressed Out – Twenty-one Pilots

A-14. Name – Goo Goo Dolls

A-15. Graduation Song – Vitamin C

A-16. Street Dreams — Nas

A-17. Jump (for my Love) – The Pointer Sisters

A-18. Wannabe – Spice Girls

A-19. Sorry – Justin Bieber

A-20. Easy – The Commodores

A-21. Dizzy – Tommy Roe

A-22. Thunder – Imagine Dragons

A-23. Let’s Go – The Cars

A-24. I Could Not Ask for More – Edwin McCain

A-25. Mockingbird — Eminem

A-26. Macho Man – Village People

A-27. Atlanta Lady — Marty Balin

A-28. If I were a Boy -- Beyonce

A-29. Don’t Worry Baby – The Beach Boys

A-30. Ain't it Funny — Jennifer Lopez

A-31. December – Collective Soul

A-32. Everybody Wants to Rule the World – Tears for Fears

A-33. Heartless — Kanye West

A-34. Cold As Ice -- Foreigner

A-35. Nothing Else Matters -- Metallica

A-36. Can’t Help But Wait — Trey Songz

A-37. Don’t Hang Up – The Orlons

A-38. Humble — Kendrick Lamar

A-39. Jamboree — Naughty By Nature

A-40. Selfie – The Chainsmokers

A-41. My Eyes Adored You – Frankie Valli

A-42. Running with the Night – Lionel Richie

A-43. Amish Paradise – Weird Al Yankovic

A-44. I Can’t Get Next To You – The Temptations

A-45. God's Plan — Drake

LIST B: PEOPLE

B-1. Wolfgang A. Mozart

B-2. John F. Kennedy

B-3. Louis Pasteur

B-4. William Makepeace Thackeray

B-5. John D. Rockefeller, Jr.

B-6. Auguste Renoir

B-7. Ryan Lochte

B-8. Russell Crowe

B-9. Joe Hill

B-10. Judith Jamison

B-11. Giuseppe Garibaldi

B-12. Norman Vincent Peale

B-13. Yvonne Braithwaite Burke

B-14. Bryan Ferry

B-15. His discoveries in the field of immunology led him to become the first Belgian to win the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

Jules Bordet

B-16. Superman/Clark Kent

B-17. Edward Gibbon

B-18. He delivered the last line – which was also the title – of a popular 1960s all-star comedy. (No, not that popular 1960s all-star comedy … though he appeared in that one as well.)

Ben Blue

B-19. This Nobel laureate was a key figure in the Trümmerliteratur ("rubble literature") movement that arose in postwar Germany.

Heinrich Boll

B-20. Dave Roberts

B-21. Lincoln Steffens

B-22. Bertrand Russell

B-23. Neil Armstrong

B-24. James Lovell

B-25. This jurist – the first Supreme Court Justice to hire a law clerk – was succeeded on the bench by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Horace Gray

B-26. Xavier Cugat

B-27. Bill Blass

B-28. Harvey Milk

B-29. Frederick William Lanchester

B-30. Agatha Christie

B-31. Jean-Jacques Annaud

B-32. Shannon Miller

B-33. Walker Evans

B-34. Howard Hughes

B-35. Jack Ruby

B-36. John Coltrane

B-37. Boss Tweed

B-38. Max Born

B-39. Although he never made Cardinal – probably through the machinations of Eamon de Valera – this Dublin archbishop was the most influential clergyman in Ireland for more than 30 years.

William Walsh

B-40. Werner Krauss

B-41. Garson Kanin

B-42. Harry Harlow

B-43. Nick Faldo

B-44. Prince Archie Mountbatten-Windsor

B-45. A hero of the Franco-Prussian War, he became known as General Revanche for his extreme nationalism and desire to avenge France’s defeat.

Georges Ernest Boulanger

B-46. This philosopher posited a system of three worlds in which World One was the physical world, World Two was the world of the mind, and World Three was the body of human knowledge.

Karl Popper

B-47. Steve Stevens

B-48. Bea Arthur

B-49. Gregory Pincus

B-50. Charles Dudley Warner

B-51. Fred Shuttlesworth

B-52. Melvin Laird

B-53. Amy Vanderbilt

B-54. Baron Davis

B-55. A member of the Will Eisner Award Hall of Fame, this underground cartoonist is best known for his creation of a hedonistic wizard whose mystical hat covers his entire body down to his legs.

Vaughn Bode

B-56. Jacob Marley

B-57. Corey Haim

B-58. His celebrated clients included an osteopath, a U.S. Army captain, and a football player.

F. Lee Bailey

B-59. Lynn Anderson

B-60. The Nicholas Brothers

B-61. Moscow Mitch McConnell

B-62. Joseph Schumpeter

B-63. Jacques Cousteau

B-64. Gore Vidal

B-65. Billy Smith

B-66. Curtis LeMay

B-67. Alex Grass

B-68. Brian Williams

B-69. Patricia Ireland

B-70. Thomas Keller

B-71. This architect’s work included the triumphal arch in Washington Square Park, the Boston Public Library, and an arena that was demolished in 1925.

Stanford White

B-72. In the 1950s, he co-founded the first experimental theatre company in the United States. (One NY critic, clearly not sympathetic to the avant-garde, famously complained that the theatre “should drop dead.”)

B-73. Mary Shelley

B-74. Though he only served one term as Secretary of State, he was instrumental in getting the U.S. involved in one war and helped nudge the nation on the long road toward another war.

B-75. Blind Melon

B-76. This Dutch astronomer made important discoveries about the structure of the Milky Way and discovered the globules of interstellar gas and dust that bear his name.

Bart Bok

B-77. This boxer, who took his ring name from a fast-firing weapon, held the World Light Heavyweight title for two years in the early 1950s.

Joey Maxim

B-78. Phineas Fogg

B-79. Harriet Lane

B-80. The last words of this war criminal– convicted at Nuremberg for coordinating slave labor for the Third Reich – were, “I die an innocent man, my sentence is unjust. God protect Germany! May it live and one day become great again! God protect my family."

Fritz Sauckel

B-81. This general got his nickname for his role in suppressing a rebellion against the Qing dynasty, but he failed to repeat such success on another continent.

B-82. Minutes after hearing that his firm had won a landmark 1934 Supreme Court ruling, this publisher ordered his typesetters to get to work on the book that was the subject of the suit.

Bennett Cerf

B-83. This playwright won his third Pulitzer Prize for an experimental nine-act play.

Edward Albee? Eugene O'Neill?

B-84. The two films that he made with Bette Davis were, in their own way, every bit as violent as the three films he made with Lee Marvin.

B-85. Robert Plant

B-86. Nebuchadnezzar

B-87. Rollie Fingers

B-88. Claude Shannon

B-89. Though he spent much of his career painting dogs and horses, this Victorian artist also created the lion sculptures in Trafalgar Square.

Edwin Landseer

B-90. Franz Boas

B-91. Dorothea Dix

B-92. Mary Magdalene

B-93. Henry Hudson

B-94. Farrah Fawcett

B-95. Igor Stravinsky

B-96. Emily Dickinson

B-97. Amos Alonzo Stagg

B-98. George W. Bush

B-99. Herbert Spencer

B-100. Alexander Graham Bell
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#62 Post by franktangredi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:56 pm

I hate to say this ... but one name that was added since the last consolidation is wrong. (It wasn't suggested as a definite anyway.) Let's not worry about that right now.

kroxquo

#63 Post by kroxquo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Frank, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've been up, down, and across these answers and I am coming up with nothing.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

mellytu74

#64 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:09 pm

kroxquo wrote:Frank, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've been up, down, and across these answers and I am coming up with nothing.
Ditto.

I suspect it's one of those things that, once we FIND it, we will do fairly well.

But, until then, I have the same dilemma as Krox. And I was looking for something for Garibaldi...

jarnon

#65 Post by jarnon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:40 pm

franktangredi wrote:I will offer this advice. Forget the songs for the moment. Try to see what people might be paired together and work the songs in later.
I tried to find matches but don't see any pattern.

Don’t Hang Up / Clark Kent / Alexander Graham Bell

God's Plan / Nebuchadnezzar / Mary Magdalene

Good Morning Starshine / Neil Armstrong / James Lovell

Closer / Rollie Fingers / Ben Blue
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#66 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Would you like me to give you one correct pairing and let you work it out that way?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#67 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:08 am

franktangredi wrote:Would you like me to give you one correct pairing and let you work it out that way?

I'll agree to that.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

franktangredi

#68 Post by franktangredi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:23 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:Would you like me to give you one correct pairing and let you work it out that way?

I'll agree to that.

lb13
Okay. See if you can figure out why B-11 goes with B-86. Or why B-19 goes with B-67.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#69 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:45 pm

franktangredi wrote:Okay. See if you can figure out why B-11 goes with B-86. Or why B-19 goes with B-67.

B-11. Giuseppe Garibaldi
B-86. Nebuchadnezzar

B-19. Heinrich Boll
B-67. Alex Grass

Anyone? I suspect there's some kind of word/letter play here since the names in the latter match in particular are not noteworthy... but I'm not seeing it.

mrkelley23

#70 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Wow. Trying to finalize my dissertation proposal, advocating for teachers in a very messy contract negotiation, and just trying to live life has kept me mostly away.

I still don't have a surefire connection, but I might be able to jar some things loose.

Heinrich Boll was a frenemy and contemporary of Gunter Grass, which would match up well with Alex Grass, I guess. Gunter's only work familiar to me is The Tin Drum. So I don't really see any connection to any of the songs or artists.

Nebuchadnezzar is the name of an opera by Giuseppe Verdi, but I don't see any connection to Aida, or Rigoletto, or La Traviata in the song list.

I thought maybe the "missing name" might be anagrammed in the song list somewhere, but I don't see any anagram of Gunter or Verdi there.

I'll keep thinking.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

jarnon

#71 Post by jarnon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:43 pm

Along these lines, Phineas Fogg is a creation of Jules Verne (Jules Bordet). Mozart could go with Franz Liszt (Franz Boas). Max Born matches Wolfgang Pauli (Wolfgang Mozart). Jack Ruby killed Lee Oswald (F. Lee Bailey). John D. Rockefeller, Jr. goes with Cornelius Vanderbilt (Amy Vanderbilt). Farrah Fawcett was married to Lee Majors (F. Lee Bailey). George W. Bush ran against Al Gore (Gore Vidal).
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mrkelley23

#72 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:47 am

B-100 Alexander Graham Bell competed with B-25 (Horace) Elisha Gray for the title of inventor of the telephone

B-97 Amos Alonzo Stagg and B-50 (Charles Dudley) Pop Warner were legendary college football coaches

There's almost certainly something there, but I haven't found a way to connect it to the songs/artists yet.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

franktangredi

#73 Post by franktangredi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:55 am

You're there. You're almost there.

mrkelley23

#74 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:42 am

Verdi = Drive, a song by The Cars

Pop = OPP, a song by Naughty by Nature

Gunter = Urgent, a song by Foreigner

Verne = Never, a song by Heart

Sorry, I don't have time to write this up better right now. I'll try to come back and fix it later. But that's it.

kroxquo

#75 Post by kroxquo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:18 am

mrkelley23 wrote:B-100 Alexander Graham Bell competed with B-25 (Horace) Elisha Gray for the title of inventor of the telephone
And this possibly goes with A-37 DON'T HANG UP?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams