RIP (sort of) Mad Magazine

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

RIP (sort of) Mad Magazine

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:26 am

The 67-year-old humor magazine and home of Alfred E. Newman will cease publication of new material with its current issue. It will continue to be sold in comic stores and online, but future issues will contain "vintage" material only. Since much of its humor was topical (parodies of current movies and TV series), I'm not sure how well a parody of a 50-year-old movie will go over with current audiences. There will be a year-end holiday special that may have some new material.

As Alfred E. Newman says, "What, me worry?"
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: RIP (sort of) Mad Magazine

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 am

Can I buy them out for $1,329,063? I'll even pay cash...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:26 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Since much of its humor was topical (parodies of current movies and TV series), I'm not sure how well a parody of a 50-year-old movie will go over with current audiences.
I haven't read one for about 45 years, but wasn't the parody just one section of each issue? They had the cover image and one parody, but the rest was all non-related, non-topical content. All the MAD books I ever bought were "Spy vs. Spy," Don Martin or Dave Berg cartoons and such.

Am I mis-remembering?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:19 pm

Estonut wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Since much of its humor was topical (parodies of current movies and TV series), I'm not sure how well a parody of a 50-year-old movie will go over with current audiences.
I haven't read one for about 45 years, but wasn't the parody just one section of each issue? They had the cover image and one parody, but the rest was all non-related, non-topical content. All the MAD books I ever bought were "Spy vs. Spy," Don Martin or Dave Berg cartoons and such.

Am I mis-remembering?
This is the first issue I could find online. It's from 1990. It's got three parodies (Honey I Shrunk the Kids, 60 Minutes, Married with Children) and some of the other articles are dated as well, like the computer practical jokes on page 40, which cater to 1990 state-of-the-art computer technology. Others, like the movie blurbs, are sill valid today. If you want to see the entire issue, cut and paste the image link and just substitute 02, 03, 04 etc. for the 01 in the URL.

Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:09 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:The 67-year-old humor magazine and home of Alfred E. Newman will cease publication of new material with its current issue. It will continue to be sold in comic stores and online, but future issues will contain "vintage" material only. Since much of its humor was topical (parodies of current movies and TV series), I'm not sure how well a parody of a 50-year-old movie will go over with current audiences. There will be a year-end holiday special that may have some new material.

As Alfred E. Newman says, "What, me worry?"
It sure will be hard to do the back cover foldover online.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:21 pm

I'll miss it (she said hypocritically, not having bought one since the 70s . . .). Still, it was nice to know it was there.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller