I'm beginning to find Beto O'Rourke impressive

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Re: I'm beginning to find Beto O'Rourke impressive

#76 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:06 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: The wisdom of the electoral college is to save us from the tyranny of states like California and New York, states that have more people than sense.
So, your support of the electoral college is because the substantial majority of people in the more populous states don't see eye to eye with you on politics. Got it.
That is correct, sir. Sometimes you actually get it right, despite yourself. If the federal government would keep to it's enumerated powers, there would be no problem for any of the states. But with the Fed taking over more and more power, we have to have protection of some form for the smaller states. Unless you want would bob-tel wants. To do away with states altogether and have a dictatorship in Washington taking direction from the urban areas. I guess you can attribute this one to Glenn Beck. You haven't used him in awhile.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#77 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: The wisdom of the electoral college is to save us from the tyranny of states like California and New York, states that have more people than sense.
So, your support of the electoral college is because the substantial majority of people in the more populous states don't see eye to eye with you on politics. Got it.
That is correct, sir. Sometimes you actually get it right, despite yourself. If the federal government would keep to it's enumerated powers, there would be no problem for any of the states. But with the Fed taking over more and more power, we have to have protection of some form for the smaller states. Unless you want would bob-tel wants. To do away with states altogether and have a dictatorship in Washington taking direction from the urban areas. I guess you can attribute this one to Glenn Beck. You haven't used him in awhile.

Good lord, this has to be one of the most self serving comments I've ever seen in one of these damned threads. And that's really saying something....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#78 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:43 pm

I just have a question. What does remake our immigration laws in our image MEAN?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#79 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 pm

It looks like I got my money's worth. Beto lost, but it looks like he did a good enough job increasing turnout to flip some close districts. As I write this, Pete Sessions has already lost and Lizzie Panill Fletcher has a narrow lead over John Culberson. I think there's at least one other current Republican district that's still in play. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#80 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Here in Georgia, it looks like the Republicans will continue to hold all the statewide offices and my 6th District where Karen Handel has about a 1,000 vote lead with virtually all the votes in. However, the Democrats will pick up the adjacent 7th District, which is also suburban Atlanta Gwinnett County (where my daughter lives), and which has a growing Hispanic and Asian populace.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#81 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Here in Georgia, it looks like the Republicans will continue to hold all the statewide offices and my 6th District where Karen Handel has about a 1,000 vote lead with virtually all the votes in. However, the Democrats will pick up the adjacent 7th District, which is also suburban Atlanta Gwinnett County (where my daughter lives), and which has a growing Hispanic and Asian populace.
It looks like that was a data error. ABC now is projecting that Woodall has won that race. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#82 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:17 am

Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Here in Georgia, it looks like the Republicans will continue to hold all the statewide offices and my 6th District where Karen Handel has about a 1,000 vote lead with virtually all the votes in. However, the Democrats will pick up the adjacent 7th District, which is also suburban Atlanta Gwinnett County (where my daughter lives), and which has a growing Hispanic and Asian populace.
It looks like that was a data error. ABC now is projecting that Woodall has won that race. --Bob
When I went to bed last night, Karen Handel was up in my district by about 1000 votes and the Democratic candidate in the 7th was up by about 3,000. The race in the 7th flipped somehow, but there's still absentee ballots and problems with voting machines in some of the precincts that led to them keeping voting places open until after 10:00 (polls normally close at 7:00). Believe it or not, the batteries died on some of the machines and it took a couple of hours to located a power cord to recharge them.

Here in the 6th, late absentees have given Lucy McBath about a 3,000 vote lead and what's left would appear to lean Democratic, so I may finally have a Representative who will represent me again.

And congrats to BiT, who looks like he now has some genuine representation in Congress.

flockofseagulls104

#83 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:24 am

Bob78164 wrote:
When I went to bed last night, Karen Handel was up in my district by about 1000 votes and the Democratic candidate in the 7th was up by about 3,000. The race in the 7th flipped somehow, but there's still absentee ballots and problems with voting machines in some of the precincts that led to them keeping voting places open until after 10:00 (polls normally close at 7:00). Believe it or not, the batteries died on some of the machines and it took a couple of hours to located a power cord to recharge them.

Here in the 6th, late absentees have given Lucy McBath about a 3,000 vote lead and what's left would appear to lean Democratic, so I may finally have a Representative who will represent me again.

And congrats to BiT, who looks like he now has some genuine representation in Congress.
Jon Ossoff blessed her.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#84 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:36 am

Another bit of good news. My state senator, Jen Jordan, who was elected last year in a special election in which two Democrats got into the runoff because four Republicans split the vote, was re-elected in a standard one-on-one race by nearly 20 points. The suburbs have started to swing back to the Democrats here in Georgia at the State level, not enough to gain majorities but enogh to keep Republicans out of supermajorities.

flockofseagulls104

#85 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:49 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Another bit of good news. My state senator, Jen Jordan, who was elected last year in a special election in which two Democrats got into the runoff because four Republicans split the vote, was re-elected in a standard one-on-one race by nearly 20 points. The suburbs have started to swing back to the Democrats here in Georgia at the State level, not enough to gain majorities but enogh to keep Republicans out of supermajorities.
Because, as we all know, republicans are evil (oh, yeah, and they're all white supremecists) and democrats are saintly. Doesn't matter who they are, just their party.

Bob Juch

#86 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Another bit of good news. My state senator, Jen Jordan, who was elected last year in a special election in which two Democrats got into the runoff because four Republicans split the vote, was re-elected in a standard one-on-one race by nearly 20 points. The suburbs have started to swing back to the Democrats here in Georgia at the State level, not enough to gain majorities but enogh to keep Republicans out of supermajorities.
Because, as we all know, republicans are evil (oh, yeah, and they're all white supremecists) and democrats are saintly. Doesn't matter who they are, just their party.
Guilt by association.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#87 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:52 pm

It looks like the race has been called for my favorite local candidate. Katie Hill is projected to oust Representative Steve Knight in CA 25. I virtually never send money to help decide a contested primary, but Rep.-elect Hill inspired me to do so for her.

Keep an eye on her, by the way. She's only 31. --Bob

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#88 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Keep an eye on her, by the way. She's only 31
Off the thread's topic, but Colorado had a measure on the ballot this time to lower the age to get to the State House/Senate from 25 to 21. It passed in three "liberal bastions" -- Boulder, Pitkin (Aspen, Snowmass), and San Miguel (Telluride) counties. Some of my friends think that 25 is too low, but somehow a measure to raise the age to serve didn't make it onto the ballot.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#89 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:50 pm

By the way, it looks like I'm not the only one who finds Rep. O'Rourke impressive. Ted Cruz's strategist, Jeff Roe, said, “The Democrats don’t have anybody like him. I've seen all of them. They don’t have anyone of his caliber on the national stage. I pray for the soul of anyone who has to run against him in Iowa in 453 days." --Bob

silverscreenselect

#90 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:56 am

Bob78164 wrote:It looks like the race has been called for my favorite local candidate. Katie Hill is projected to oust Representative Steve Knight in CA 25. I virtually never send money to help decide a contested primary, but Rep.-elect Hill inspired me to do so for her.

Keep an eye on her, by the way. She's only 31. --Bob
I have to admit I was wrong about Lucy McBath, our new Representative. At first, I thought she would be a one-issue candidate (her teenage son was killed in a drive-by shooting), and in the first primary, I voted for one of her opponents, a local consumer investigative reporter who didn't make the runoff. But for the most part, she ran a very smart election campaign (she certainly had plenty of money to do so), hammering Karen Handel on health care issues. She was able to personalize this issue as well because McBath is a breast cancer survivor. The Republicans ran their usual Nancy Pelosi puppet ads but they weren't as effective because McBath was able to create her own persona with the public, and she didn't make the gun control issue a crusade, merely the spark that caused her to get into politics.

Two years ago, Tom Price won 2/3 of the vote in this district against a joke of a fringe Democratic candidate. Now it seems poised to remain Democratic for years to come, with the adjacent 7th district to join it, if not this election, then in 2020.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#91 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am

Beto is in.

He has the inside track for my vote in the primary next year. --Bob