Transcript 10/2/18 Tom Colocci (TomC)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/2/18 Tom Colocci (TomC)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Tom Colocci (new BB TomC)
Management consultant
London, England

$500
With only about 3% of the American job force doing it, “active commuting” is getting to work by what means?
A: Walking or riding a bike B: Stealing a car or bus
C: Tunneling through the Earth D: Teleporting

Spoiler
A: Walking or riding a bike

$1,000
In the acclaimed baseball movie “Field of Dreams,” the lead character hears a mysterious voice whisper all but which of the following statements?
A: “If you build it, he will come.” B: “Go the distance.”
C: “Ease his pain.” D: “OMG. He’s obviously using steroids.”

Tom has not seen “Field of Dreams,” but he knows “If you build it, he will come.”

Spoiler
D: “OMG. He’s obviously using steroids.”

$2,000
Paul Simon might enjoy what Utah state park, that’s named after the brand of film National Geographic used to take color photos of it in 1948?
A: Boxer Springs B: Kodachrome Basin
C: Graceland Canyon D: Troubled Waters Recreational Area

Spoiler
B: Kodachrome Basin

$3,000
What creature whose looks wouldn’t garner a lot of right-swipes on Animal Tinder is, luckily, capable of asexual (partner-free) reproduction?
A: Fox B: Panther
C: Komodo dragon D: Golden retriever

Spoiler
C: Komodo dragon

$5,000
Which of these is a book buy Mike Tyson, and NOT one by Neil deGrasse Tyson?
A: Undisputed Truth B: Death By Black Hole
C: The Pluto Files D: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

Spoiler
A: Undisputed Truth

Commercial break

$7,000
The canton, hoist and fly are all important aspects to consider when designing a what?
A: Flag B: Shoe
C: Treehouse D: Book cover

Spoiler
A: Flag

$10,000
Which of these presidential Cabinet positions is the only one of the four that has ever been held by a woman?
A: Secretary of Labor B: Secretary of Defense
C: Secretary of Veterans Affairs D: Secretary of the Treasury

Spoiler
A: 26% B: 26% C: 4% D: 44%

Spoiler
Tom believes the audience is mistaken. They could be confused by Janet Yellen. +1 Ron agrees, and says Elaine Chao is Secretary of Labor. Tom thinks she’s Secretary of Transportation. In any case, they don’t know of any female Secretary of Defense or Veterans Affairs.

Spoiler
A: Secretary of Labor

Commercial break

Tom was a chemistry major but has always wanted to work in film. He’ll use his winnings for film school (and be sure to watch “Field of Dreams”).

$20,000
Like the VIN on your car, an IMEI number is a globally unique 15-digit number assigned to all what (which can be helpful if yours is lost or stolen)?
A: Diamonds B: Credit cards
C: Mobile devices D: Bicycles

Spoiler
C: Mobile devices

$30,000
Lady Jane Grey was Queen of England for the notoriously short period of how long?
A: Nine hours B: Nine days
C: Ninety-nine days D: Nine months

After the hard question about the U.S. Cabinet, this one is a godsend.

Spoiler
B: Nine days

Commercial break

QotD
Which of these is a nonsense word that one of our writers made up, and NOT an actual synonym of the word “nonsense”?
A: Tommyrot B: Huffmuffle
C: Codswallop D: Flapdoodle

Spoiler
B: Huffmuffle

$50,000
Featured in the names of such dishes as teriyaki, yakitori and yakisoba, what does the Japanese word “yaki” mean in English?
A: Sauce B: Savory
C: Chicken D: Grilled

Spoiler
Tom’s friend Tom from Scarsdale warned him not to explain his reasoning before the 50/50 is revealed.
50/50 leaves sauce and grilled.
Tom knows yakitori is grilled chicken, and soba is noodle. He goes for grilled.

Spoiler
D: Grilled

The horn
Tom will be back on Wednesday.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

jarnon

Re: Transcript 10/2/18 Tom Colocci

#2 Post by jarnon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 pm

My favorite episode of the season so far. Tom's a recent Princeton grad who taught high school in Singapore and works for a New York company.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:33 pm

$2,000
Paul Simon might enjoy what Utah state park, that’s named after the brand of film National Geographic used to take color photos of it in 1948?
A: Boxer Springs B: Kodachrome Basin
C: Graceland Canyon D: Troubled Waters Recreational Area

Spoiler
B: Kodachrome Basin
Everybody would enjoy Kodachrome Basin. OK, JMHO.
$10,000
Which of these presidential Cabinet positions is the only one of the four that has ever been held by a woman?
A: Secretary of Labor B: Secretary of Defense
C: Secretary of Veterans Affairs D: Secretary of the Treasury

Spoiler
A: 26% B: 26% C: 4% D: 44%

Spoiler
Tom believes the audience is mistaken. They could be confused by Janet Yellen. +1 Ron agrees, and says Elaine Chao is Secretary of Labor. Tom thinks she’s Secretary of Transportation. In any case, they don’t know of any female Secretary of Defense or Veterans Affairs.

Spoiler
A: Secretary of Labor
The first one! Francis Perkins.
$30,000
Lady Jane Grey was Queen of England for the notoriously short period of how long?
A: Nine hours B: Nine days
C: Ninety-nine days D: Nine months

After the hard question about the U.S. Cabinet, this one is a godsend.

Spoiler
B: Nine days
Ugh. I do not know this. I googled it, and her nickname "The nine day queen" popped right up. Ask a friend.
$50,000
Featured in the names of such dishes as teriyaki, yakitori and yakisoba, what does the Japanese word “yaki” mean in English?

Spoiler
Tom’s friend Tom from Scarsdale warned him not to explain his reasoning before the 50/50 is revealed.

Spoiler
ATA, although I'd feel a lot better about it if it were a New York audience. Let's say they know it.

Tom will be back on Wednesday.

Oh boy! I can watch Tom win a bunch of money and still make my lunch date!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:57 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tom Colocci
Management consultant
London, England
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000
Like the VIN on your car, an IMEI number is a globally unique 15-digit number assigned to all what (which can be helpful if yours is lost or stolen)?
Spoiler
I know that diamonds are inscribed with a set of numbers [NOTE: I originally thought all were, but it turns out that only certain ones are], so it's either that or mobile devices. Since I still have my 50:50 I'll use it and hope A and C aren't the remaining answers.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
Spoiler

Spoiler
Well reasoned.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:28 am

earendel wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Well reasoned.
Spoiler
This was a pretty nasty question. Though "yaki" does mean cooked over direct heat, teriyaki is a sauce and yakisoba is fried buckwheat noodle dish which may not have any grilled ingredients.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#6 Post by triviawayne » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:33 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tom Colocci
Management consultant
London, England
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000
Spoiler
I know that diamonds are inscribed with a set of numbers [NOTE: I originally thought all were, but it turns out that only certain ones are], so it's either that or mobile devices. Since I still have my 50:50 I'll use it and hope A and C aren't the remaining answers.

I once worked for Omnipoint, used to know what IMEI stood for
Spoiler

Spoiler
Well reasoned.
Teppanyaki is the style of cooking at a Japanese steak house such as Benihana, that left me with A&D, but D made more sense as not everything has sauce.

TomC

#7 Post by TomC » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:16 am

Hey guys, Tom here.
Glad you all enjoyed my show!

The editing is quite generous to me here; I took a long time with Kodachrome because I'd never heard of the song, and so Troubled Waters sounded vaguely plausible too.

And yeah, I agonized over the $50k question, trying to think which one matched best

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:37 am

Estonut wrote:
earendel wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Well reasoned.
Spoiler
This was a pretty nasty question. Though "yaki" does mean cooked over direct heat, teriyaki is a sauce and yakisoba is fried buckwheat noodle dish which may not have any grilled ingredients.
Spoiler
Wrong! Teriyaki is not the sauce but the dish. Yakisoba is fried on a grill. The grills are a flat piece of steel, not like a barbeque grill.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:04 am

Hey guys, Tom here.

The editing is quite generous to me here; I took a long time with Kodachrome because I'd never heard of the song, and so Troubled Waters sounded vaguely plausible too.

And yeah, I agonized over the $50k question, trying to think which one matched best
Excellent job - congratulations!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:17 am

Tom:

Its a great song, as I'm sure you've found out by now. One of the few I know by heart.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:21 am

TomC wrote:Hey guys, Tom here.

Welcome aBored! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:46 am

2K: Never heard of Basin before but love the song.

I wish my anemic Alcatel tablet got me the green of summers or any other colors so well.

10K: Knew this because FDR's choice was 1st woman in any Cab post.

20K: too many #s for small diamonds to bear, my bike's never had one, my CC # is 16#s.

30K: Knew it was short time but would asked +1 for help between B & C.

50K: Know you can have beef teriyaki so rules out chicken. Knoiw soba is noodles. Between grilled, which know teriyaki is, & also savory, which teriyaki is. 50/50

Looking forward to today's show.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:24 pm

jarnon wrote:My favorite episode of the season so far. Tom's a recent Princeton grad who taught high school in Singapore and works for a New York company.
How did you know this? They didn't offer one word of explanation on the show.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:28 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
jarnon wrote:My favorite episode of the season so far. Tom's a recent Princeton grad who taught high school in Singapore and works for a New York company.
I'm guessing the information came from an alumni communication. If memory serves, jarnon is a Princeton graduate. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
earendel wrote:Well reasoned.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Wrong! Teriyaki is not the sauce but the dish. Yakisoba is fried on a grill. The grills are a flat piece of steel, not like a barbeque grill.
Spoiler
You're wrong, too. You really should look things up before "correcting" people.

Teriyaki is not a particular dish. It is both a cooking style and the sauce used in that style.

Yakisoba literally means "fried buckwheat," and, thus, must be fried, but not necessarily fried on a grill.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

ulysses1950

#16 Post by ulysses1950 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
I'm guessing the information came from an alumni communication. If memory serves, jarnon is a Princeton graduate. --Bob
That's probably the reason. I was supposed to be his +1and I talked to him about game strategy etc. IHe told me that he was a recent Princeton grad and was working in NYC. His three citizenships/passports are Italian, UK and USA.

jarnon

#17 Post by jarnon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:39 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Shortly after the show, posts about Tom appeared on FB and Twitter. But I liked the contestant even before I knew he was a Princeton alum.

I put the supplemental info in a separate post, not the transcript. Except for his profession; I got that from an official @MillionaireTV tweet, so I included it in the transcript.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי