Game #185: Resistance Is Futile!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Re: Game #185: Resistance Is Futile!

#26 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:30 pm

I don't think 69. Chris Marlowe can be right. He was a contemporary of Shakespeare's, so if none of his poems were published before his death, how did Shakespeare write so many sonnets?

I also discovered that Eubie Blake is not correct -- he only lived to be 96 (or 99, depending on whom you believe). The correct answer is ELLIOTT CARTER.

That means all the others with one question mark are correct.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#27 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:04 pm

A couple of additions
jarnon wrote:
28. During his relatively brief NFL career, this running back twice led the league in rushing attempts and became the first Giant to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.

Boonie has suggested RON JOHNSON (which fits into the common last names)

35. Often homeless and sometimes institutionalized, this American eccentric claimed to have authored the longest book ever written, and became the subject of a book and a subsequent film in which he was portrayed by Sir Ian Holm.

JOE GOULD?

85. In 1854, this British tobacconist introduced an eponymous brand of “English ovals” – and an empire was (eventually) born.

Duh - PHILLIP MORRIS

93. A member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, this British actor is best known in the United States for his Tony-winning role in which he taught us all how to do the Lambeth Walk.

I just realized that this is ROBERT LINDSAY. The show was the revival of Me and My Girl.

96. He was the protagonist of a linked series of more than 20 semi-autobiographical short stories written by arguably – as I called him in my last general knowledge game – the most influential American novelist of the 20th century.

I also just realized that this is probably NICK ADAMS - Hemingway's Nick Adams stories fits the description.

mrkelley23

#28 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 am

A couple of clarifications:

Appa is right about 8. I didn't read carefully enough, so if there was any doubt, Frank's use of present tense in writing the clue would be the clincher. Bennett died quite a while ago. Bill T. Jones is correct.

64. confused me with the wording. I think what Frank meant was that this person became the first African=American mayor of a certain California city, whereas I was reading it as the first African-American mayor of any major California city. The correct answer is Willie Brown, who became the first African American mayor of San Francisco.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

franktangredi

#29 Post by franktangredi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 am

mrkelley23 wrote:A couple of clarifications:

Appa is right about 8. I didn't read carefully enough, so if there was any doubt, Frank's use of present tense in writing the clue would be the clincher. Bennett died quite a while ago. Bill T. Jones is correct.

64. confused me with the wording. I think what Frank meant was that this person became the first African=American mayor of a certain California city, whereas I was reading it as the first African-American mayor of any major California city. The correct answer is Willie Brown, who became the first African American mayor of San Francisco.
Sorry, I can see how the wording might have been ambiguous. But you worked it out correctly.

jarnon

#30 Post by jarnon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:37 am

Updated consolidation...

Identify the 105 people in the clues below. Match them into 35 groups of three according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Then, match each threesome with FOUR of the Associated Words.

No name will be used twice.

There are some possible alternate pairs, but if you can make an alternate threesome, I’ll be astounded. This may be tough, but you'll work it out.

1. BILL CLINTON
2. JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
3. GLENN MILLER
4. CY YOUNG
5. JOHN DRYDEN
6. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
7. HENRY FORD
8. BILL T JONES
9. HENRY ADAMS
10. WILLIAM CLARK
11. PERRY MASON

12. The most important work of this British idealist philosopher was an 1893 study about the gap between appearances and reality.

13. BLAKE LEWIS
14. WILLIAM ROTH

15. While Victoria was still on the throne, this English writer helped lead the charge against Victorianism with a satirical utopian novel and a cynical, semi-autobiographical bildungsroman.

16. DICK MARTIN

17. His seventeen seasons with the oldest team in the NHL earned him a spot in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but he stated that his biggest professional thrill was winning his first Stanley Cup as a head coach.

18. Along with his Canadian colleague, this physicist earned a Nobel Prize for "the invention of an imaging semiconductor circuit—the CCD sensor.”

19. Fourth president of the Royal Academy, this English painter was notable for his portraits of such notable figures as Queen Charlotte, Alexander MacKenzie, Fanny Kemble, and the Duke of Wellington.

20. WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE
21. BILL W(ILSON)
22. RICHARD ALLEN
23. JOHN HAWKINS
24. BRIAN WILSON
25. DOROTHY SAYERS
26. BUCK HENRY
27. HENRY WALLACE

28. During his relatively brief NFL career, this running back twice led the league in rushing attempts and became the first Giant to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.
RON JOHNSON

29. This American scientist became embroiled in several nasty disputes, claiming retroactive priority over discoveries and inventions made by – among others – Samuel F.B. Morse and William T.G. Morton.

30. CASEY ANTHONY
31. TOM ANDERSON
32. BARNEY MILLER
33. JAMES THOMPSON

34. Both Paul McCartney and Julian Lennon have supported claims that this man was “the fifth Beatle,” though Julian’s father disparaged his contributions. (Of course; he would.)
BRIAN EPSTEIN? GEORGE MARTIN?

35. Often homeless and sometimes institutionalized, this American eccentric claimed to have authored the longest book ever written, and became the subject of a book and a subsequent film in which he was portrayed by Sir Ian Holm.
JOE GOULD?

36. GEORGE KELLY
37. WOLFGANG PETERSEN
38. JAMES DOUGLAS
39. RICHARD "RIP" HAMILTON

40. A pioneer in the field of Google Hacking, this computer security expert also founded the non-profit group Hackers for Charity.

41. HELEN KELLER

42. He founded the empirical form of philosophy known as Australian Realism, based on the principle that "whatever exists … is real, that is to say it is a spatial and temporal situation or occurrence that is on the same level of reality as anything else that exists."

43. A leading figure in the transition from Federal architecture to Greek Revival, he designed many New England homes and also authored the first American pattern books, such as 1830’s Practical House Carpenter.

44. PAUL SMITH
45. JOHN NEWTON
46. GEORGE PICKETT
47. ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
48. JACK BUCHANAN
49. CLIFF BURTON
50. ELIZABETH RYAN
51. ROY KERR
52. HENRY BILLINGS BROWN
53. FRANK KING

54. This abolitionist became celebrated as “the Man with the Branded Hand” due to the punishment he received for trying to help seven runaway slaves to freedom.

55. HENRY HUGGINS
56. MICHAEL KENNEDY
57. LEONARD COLEMAN

58. In 1579, this English clergyman broke from the Church of England to form an early Congregationalist church; though he himself soon return to the Anglican church, his influence remained, and the majority of the Separatists aboard the Mayflower were members of the sect that bore his name.

59. KAY THOMPSON
60. CHARLES WHITMAN
61. STEVE VAN BUREN
62. JUSTIN WILSON
63. VIRGINIA JOHNSON
64. WILLIE BROWN

65. Considered by Milton Friedman to be America’s greatest economist, he played a major role in developing the quantity theory of money, but his reputation did suffer major damage when he declared that the stock market had reached a “permanently high plateau” – in 1929.

66. He is the only living person to have commanded a mission that landed on the moon.

67. A Loyalist officer during the American Revolution, he gained notoriety for his role in the Cherry Valley Massacre.

68. PAUL TAYLOR

69. One of the earliest poets of the English Renaissance, he helped introduce the sonnet form in England, though none of his own poems were published during his short lifetime.

70. GALE GORDON
71. JAMES TAYLOR

72. This Victorian illustrator and caricaturist helped create our images of what Fagin, Bill Sikes, and Mr. Bumble look like.

73. HERBERT SPENCER
74. LEE RAYMOND
75. CLARENCE PAGE

76. In addition to building the first American steam locomotive and operating the first U.S. ferry service, this inventor also played a major role in establishing U.S. patent law.

77. HOWARD DEAN
78. WILL PARKER
79. PHIL JACKSON
80. ROBERT ANDERSON
81. WAYNE BRADY
82. TONY BENNETT

83. He became the most celebrated of the three radicals who founded the Black Guerrilla Family in 1970.

84. JANE PIERCE

85. In 1854, this British tobacconist introduced an eponymous brand of “English ovals” – and an empire was (eventually) born.
PHILLIP MORRIS

86. In the 1920s, he became one of the first evangelists to broadcast over the radio and founded an institution to combat what he saw as the dangerous secularization of American higher education.

87. In 1953, this political theorist published a book that played a large role in shaping the modern American conservative movement; toward the end of his life, he became a vocal critic of Republican militarism and U.S. involvement in the Gulf War.

88. WARREN CHRISTOPHER
89. ROBERT EDWARDS
90. JUSTIN ROSE

91. This poet was the 17th successor to the poet in Clue #5, but he became a dirty word to some who blamed him for the death another poet.

92. GENE CHANDLER

93. A member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, this British actor is best known in the United States for his Tony-winning role in which he taught us all how to do the Lambeth Walk.
ROBERT LINDSAY

94. This crime lord once said, “I wanted to be rich. I wanted to be Donald Trump rich, and so help me God, I made it" – but, despite some claims, he probably didn’t make it by smuggling drugs in the coffins of dead American soldiers.

95. GILBERT STUART

96. He was the protagonist of a linked series of more than 20 semi-autobiographical short stories written by arguably – as I called him in my last general knowledge game – the most influential American novelist of the 20th century.
NICK ADAMS

97. MARY HARRIS JONES
98. GEORGE MARSHALL

99. In 1833, this English physiologist propounded the theory that the spinal cord is comprised by a chain of units that functions as an independent reflex arcs.

100. One of the chief proponents of the philosophical school of pragmatism, he also was a major figure in the development of progressive education.

101. JAMES FENIMORE COOPER
102. GEORGE MITCHELL

103. Talk about durability: this two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize for music published his last work only a few months before his death – at the age of 103.
ELLIOTT CARTER

104. JOSH GIBSON
105. JOHN FORD

ASSOCIATED WORDS
Shakespeare
Spenser
Hardy
Strouse
Berkeley
MacDonald
Duran
Dodd
West
Kramer
Chapman
Jefferson
Clinton
Trump
Margaret
Donna
Albert
Peggy
Jerry
Greg
Gilda
Floyd
Dennis
Ali
Bonnie
Clarence
Mark
Def
Tammy
Jesse
Fred
Tor
Mick
Mickey
Daisy
Daffy
Faith
Charity
Buck
Panther
Horse
Rooster
Hound
Sheep
Foxes
Whales
Fighters
Rascals
Murderers
Sniper
Rifleman
Spy
Devil
Standup
Jerk
Giant
Patriot
Mayor
Chief
Chaplain
Martyr
Astronomer
Naturalist
Trapper
Media Mogul
Godfather
Wife
VP
OK
HUD
North Carolina
South Carolina
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Las Vegas
Seattle
Detroit
San Antonio
St. Louis
Baltimore
Nuremberg
Manila
Flatbush
Chesapeake
Nile
Neverland
Oz
Mercury
Apollo
Capricorn
Empty
Metaphysical
Spiritual
Bewitched
Wicked
Lust
Sin
Virtue
Property
Cello
Piccolo
Makeover
Reconstruction
Gold Rush
Golf
Poker
Swing
Jump
Press
Blow
Chop
Jelly
Ice Cream
Upstairs
Laundry
Enterprise
Arcades
College
Funk
Fever
Anesthesia
Formula
Ion
Magnetism
Circuit
Ferry
Train
One Way
Patches
Rules
Wars
Front Page
Middle
Center
Lost
This Week
Last Summer
Farewell
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#31 Post by franktangredi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:45 am

Everything on here is right, or includes the right answer as one of its alternatives. Good job!
jarnon wrote:Updated consolidation...

Identify the 105 people in the clues below. Match them into 35 groups of three according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Then, match each threesome with FOUR of the Associated Words.

There are some possible alternate pairs, but if you can make an alternate threesome, I’ll be astounded. This may be tough, but you'll work it out.

1. BILL CLINTON
2. JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
3. GLENN MILLER
4. CY YOUNG
5. JOHN DRYDEN
6. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
7. HENRY FORD
8. BILL T JONES
9. HENRY ADAMS
10. WILLIAM CLARK
11. PERRY MASON

12. The most important work of this British idealist philosopher was an 1893 study about the gap between appearances and reality.

13. BLAKE LEWIS
14. WILLIAM ROTH

15. While Victoria was still on the throne, this English writer helped lead the charge against Victorianism with a satirical utopian novel and a cynical, semi-autobiographical bildungsroman.

16. DICK MARTIN

17. His seventeen seasons with the oldest team in the NHL earned him a spot in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but he stated that his biggest professional thrill was winning his first Stanley Cup as a head coach.

18. Along with his Canadian colleague, this physicist earned a Nobel Prize for "the invention of an imaging semiconductor circuit—the CCD sensor.”

19. Fourth president of the Royal Academy, this English painter was notable for his portraits of such notable figures as Queen Charlotte, Alexander MacKenzie, Fanny Kemble, and the Duke of Wellington.

20. WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE
21. BILL W(ILSON)
22. RICHARD ALLEN
23. JOHN HAWKINS
24. BRIAN WILSON
25. DOROTHY SAYERS
26. BUCK HENRY
27. HENRY WALLACE

RON JOHNSON

29. This American scientist became embroiled in several nasty disputes, claiming retroactive priority over discoveries and inventions made by – among others – Samuel F.B. Morse and William T.G. Morton.

30. CASEY ANTHONY
31. TOM ANDERSON
32. BARNEY MILLER
33. JAMES THOMPSON

34. Both Paul McCartney and Julian Lennon have supported claims that this man was “the fifth Beatle,” though Julian’s father disparaged his contributions. (Of course; he would.)

JOE GOULD?

36. GEORGE KELLY
37. WOLFGANG PETERSEN
38. JAMES DOUGLAS

40. A pioneer in the field of Google Hacking, this computer security expert also founded the non-profit group Hackers for Charity.

41. HELEN KELLER

42. He founded the empirical form of philosophy known as Australian Realism, based on the principle that "whatever exists … is real, that is to say it is a spatial and temporal situation or occurrence that is on the same level of reality as anything else that exists."

43. A leading figure in the transition from Federal architecture to Greek Revival, he designed many New England homes and also authored the first American pattern books, such as 1830’s Practical House Carpenter.

44. PAUL SMITH
45. JOHN NEWTON
46. GEORGE PICKETT
47. ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
48. JACK BUCHANAN
49. CLIFF BURTON
50. ELIZABETH RYAN
51. ROY KERR
52. HENRY BILLINGS BROWN
53. FRANK KING

54. This abolitionist became celebrated as “the Man with the Branded Hand” due to the punishment he received for trying to help seven runaway slaves to freedom.

55. HENRY HUGGINS
56. MICHAEL KENNEDY
57. LEONARD COLEMAN

58. In 1579, this English clergyman broke from the Church of England to form an early Congregationalist church; though he himself soon return to the Anglican church, his influence remained, and the majority of the Separatists aboard the Mayflower were members of the sect that bore his name.

59. KAY THOMPSON
60. CHARLES WHITMAN
61. STEVE VAN BUREN
62. JUSTIN WILSON
63. VIRGINIA JOHNSON
64. WILLIE BROWN

65. Considered by Milton Friedman to be America’s greatest economist, he played a major role in developing the quantity theory of money, but his reputation did suffer major damage when he declared that the stock market had reached a “permanently high plateau” – in 1929.

66. He is the only living person to have commanded a mission that landed on the moon.

67. A Loyalist officer during the American Revolution, he gained notoriety for his role in the Cherry Valley Massacre.

68. PAUL TAYLOR

69. One of the earliest poets of the English Renaissance, he helped introduce the sonnet form in England, though none of his own poems were published during his short lifetime.

70. GALE GORDON
71. JAMES TAYLOR

72. This Victorian illustrator and caricaturist helped create our images of what Fagin, Bill Sikes, and Mr. Bumble look like.

73. HERBERT SPENCER
74. LEE RAYMOND
75. CLARENCE PAGE

76. In addition to building the first American steam locomotive and operating the first U.S. ferry service, this inventor also played a major role in establishing U.S. patent law.

77. HOWARD DEAN
78. WILL PARKER
79. PHIL JACKSON
80. ROBERT ANDERSON
81. WAYNE BRADY
82. TONY BENNETT

83. He became the most celebrated of the three radicals who founded the Black Guerrilla Family in 1970.

84. JANE PIERCE

PHILLIP MORRIS

86. In the 1920s, he became one of the first evangelists to broadcast over the radio and founded an institution to combat what he saw as the dangerous secularization of American higher education.

87. In 1953, this political theorist published a book that played a large role in shaping the modern American conservative movement; toward the end of his life, he became a vocal critic of Republican militarism and U.S. involvement in the Gulf War.

88. WARREN CHRISTOPHER
89. ROBERT EDWARDS
90. JUSTIN ROSE

91. This poet was the 17th successor to the poet in Clue #5, but he became a dirty word to some who blamed him for the death another poet.

92. GENE CHANDLER

ROBERT LINDSAY

94. This crime lord once said, “I wanted to be rich. I wanted to be Donald Trump rich, and so help me God, I made it" – but, despite some claims, he probably didn’t make it by smuggling drugs in the coffins of dead American soldiers.

95. GILBERT STUART

NICK ADAMS

97. MARY HARRIS JONES
98. GEORGE MARSHALL

99. In 1833, this English physiologist propounded the theory that the spinal cord is comprised by a chain of units that functions as an independent reflex arcs.

100. One of the chief proponents of the philosophical school of pragmatism, he also was a major figure in the development of progressive education.

102. GEORGE MITCHELL

103. Talk about durability: this two-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize for music published his last work only a few months before his death – at the age of 103.
ELLIOTT CARTER

104. JOSH GIBSON
105. JOHN FORD

ASSOCIATED WORDS
Shakespeare
Spenser
Hardy
Strouse
Berkeley
MacDonald
Duran
Dodd
West
Kramer
Chapman
Jefferson
Clinton
Trump
Margaret
Donna
Albert
Peggy
Jerry
Greg
Gilda
Floyd
Dennis
Ali
Bonnie
Clarence
Mark
Def
Tammy
Jesse
Fred
Tor
Mick
Mickey
Daisy
Daffy
Faith
Charity
Buck
Panther
Horse
Rooster
Hound
Sheep
Foxes
Whales
Fighters
Rascals
Murderers
Sniper
Rifleman
Spy
Devil
Standup
Jerk
Giant
Patriot
Mayor
Chief
Chaplain
Martyr
Astronomer
Naturalist
Trapper
Media Mogul
Godfather
Wife
VP
OK
HUD
North Carolina
South Carolina
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Las Vegas
Seattle
Detroit
San Antonio
St. Louis
Baltimore
Nuremberg
Manila
Flatbush
Chesapeake
Nile
Neverland
Oz
Mercury
Apollo
Capricorn
Empty
Metaphysical
Spiritual
Bewitched
Wicked
Lust
Sin
Virtue
Property
Cello
Piccolo
Makeover
Reconstruction
Gold Rush
Golf
Poker
Swing
Jump
Press
Blow
Chop
Jelly
Ice Cream
Upstairs
Laundry
Enterprise
Arcades
College
Funk
Fever
Anesthesia
Formula
Ion
Magnetism
Circuit
Ferry
Train
One Way
Patches
Rules
Wars
Front Page
Middle
Center
Lost
This Week
Last Summer
Farewell

mrkelley23

#32 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:47 am

Let's see if I can put this into words:

From the group of three names, make four new names. For each set of four new names, one will be made by combining two first names, one by combining two last names, and the other two will be combinations of first and last names. Each of the four new names will match a word from the word list.

75. Clarence Page, 103. Elliott Carter, and 35. Joe Gould can make

(FL) Clarence Carter (Patches)
(LL) Carter Page (Trump)
(FL) Elliott Gould (Trapper)
(FF) Joe Elliott (Def)

38. Barney Miller, 53. Frank King, and 55. Henry Huggins make

(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(LL) Miller Huggins (Murderers)
(FL) Henry Miller (Capricorn)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)

78. Will Parker, 47. Robert L Stevenson, and 18. George Smith make

(FL) Robert Parker (Spenser)
(LL) Parker Stevenson (Hardy)
(FF) George Will (This Week)
(FL) Will Smith (Ali)

Because of the duplication of some names and such, this becomes devilishly difficult. I have several partials, but I don't know if I want to list them, because it might just make things harder. The number of Post-its I have spread around right now is pretty amazing. But I got three complete sets, so I'm going ahead.

And once again, I smdh in awe of the Great Tangredi. Can't imagine how many Post-Its he has. :)

earendel

#33 Post by earendel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 am

Filling in a few blanks...

GEORGE E. SMITH

SIR JOHN EVERETT MILLAIS

JOHNNY LONG

JOHN ANDERSON

JONATHAN WALKER

ROBERT BROWNE

DAVID SCOTT

WALTER BUTLER
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

franktangredi

#34 Post by franktangredi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Let's see if I can put this into words:

From the group of three names, make four new names. For each set of four new names, one will be made by combining two first names, one by combining two last names, and the other two will be combinations of first and last names. Each of the four new names will match a word from the word list.
There is a less complicated way of describing this that will make it easier, but you've got the idea! Good work!
And once again, I smdh in awe of the Great Tangredi. Can't imagine how many Post-Its he has. :)
Thanks! It's actually a table in Word, but it can get pretty elaborate.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#35 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:59 am

franktangredi wrote:

There is a less complicated way of describing this that will make it easier, but you've got the idea! Good work!

Since the title phrase references The Borg, I'd assume the middle name is being "assimilated" into the other two names to make the new foursome. Or something like that....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

mellytu74

#36 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm

75. Clarence Page, 103. Elliott Carter, and 35. Joe Gould can make

(LL) Carter Page (Trump)
(FF) Joe Elliott (Def)

38. Barney Miller, 53. Frank King, and 55. Henry Huggins make

(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)

78. Will Parker, 47. Robert L Stevenson, and 18. George Smith make

(FL) Will Smith (Ali)

Because of the duplication of some names and such, this becomes devilishly difficult. I have several partials, but I don't know if I want to list them, because it might just make things harder. The number of Post-its I have spread around right now is pretty amazing. But I got three complete sets, so I'm going ahead.

Professor Tangredi - he is so clever. I bow. I just bow.

This WILL be fun!!

EDITED TO ADD: You, too, Mr K

mellytu74

#37 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:12 pm

GEORGE JACKSON??

Turns out

is BOB JONES
Last edited by mellytu74 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mellytu74

#38 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:32 pm

Watching The Big Sleep on TCM.

If we don't get

92. Gene Chandler, 74. Lee Raymond, and

(FL)
(LL) Raymond Chandler (Farewell)
(FF)
(FL)

out of this, it will be disappointing

jarnon

#39 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:53 am

Mr. K, your talent in deciphering Tangredis is astounding!
mrkelley23 wrote:38. Barney Miller, 53. Frank King, and 55. Henry Huggins make

(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)
This one doesn't fit the pattern of the other two: the last name that's used twice ("assimilated" as LB calls it) should belong to the same person as the first name that's used twice. An alternative could look like this:

3. Glenn Miller, 105. John Ford, and 55. Henry Huggins make

(FF) John Glenn
(FL) Glenn Ford

38. Barney Miller, 53. Frank King

(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(LL) (first name King)
(FL) (last name King)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mellytu74

#40 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:09 am

jarnon wrote:Mr. K, your talent in deciphering Tangredis is astounding!
mrkelley23 wrote:38. Barney Miller, 53. Frank King, and 55. Henry Huggins make

(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)
This one doesn't fit the pattern of the other two: the last name that's used twice ("assimilated" as LB calls it) should belong to the same person as the first name that's used twice. An alternative could look like this:

3. Glenn Miller, 105. John Ford, and 55. Henry Huggins make

(FF) John Glenn
(FL) Glenn Ford

38. Barney Miller, 53. Frank King

(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(LL) (first name King)
(FL) (last name King)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)
Glenn Ford's word is GILDA

John Glenn's is likely MERCURY

mrkelley23

#41 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:15 pm

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#42 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:31 pm

That damn curse!

I should have made up a phony name.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

franktangredi

#43 Post by franktangredi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:13 pm

silvercamaro wrote:That damn curse!

I should have made up a phony name.
At least I can't be blamed for Aretha Franklin or Neil Simon.

jarnon

#44 Post by jarnon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:01 am

Updated consolidation...

1. BILL CLINTON
2. JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
*3. GLENN MILLER
4. CY YOUNG
5. JOHN DRYDEN
6. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
7. HENRY FORD
8. BILL T JONES
9. HENRY ADAMS
10. WILLIAM CLARK
11. PERRY MASON

13. BLAKE LEWIS
14. WILLIAM ROTH

16. DICK MARTIN

*18. GEORGE E. SMITH

SIR JOHN EVERETT MILLAIS

20. WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE
21. BILL W(ILSON)
22. RICHARD ALLEN
23. JOHN HAWKINS
24. BRIAN WILSON
25. DOROTHY SAYERS
26. BUCK HENRY
27. HENRY WALLACE
28. RON JOHNSON

30. CASEY ANTHONY
31. TOM ANDERSON
32. BARNEY MILLER
33. JAMES THOMPSON

*35. JOE GOULD
36. GEORGE KELLY
37. WOLFGANG PETERSEN
38. JAMES DOUGLAS

JOHNNY LONG

41. HELEN KELLER

JOHN ANDERSON

44. PAUL SMITH
45. JOHN NEWTON
46. GEORGE PICKETT
*47. ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
48. JACK BUCHANAN
49. CLIFF BURTON
50. ELIZABETH RYAN
51. ROY KERR
52. HENRY BILLINGS BROWN
53. FRANK KING

JONATHAN WALKER

*55. HENRY HUGGINS
56. MICHAEL KENNEDY
57. LEONARD COLEMAN

ROBERT BROWNE

59. KAY THOMPSON
60. CHARLES WHITMAN
61. STEVE VAN BUREN
62. JUSTIN WILSON
63. VIRGINIA JOHNSON
64. WILLIE BROWN

DAVID SCOTT

WALTER BUTLER

68. PAUL TAYLOR

70. GALE GORDON
71. JAMES TAYLOR

73. HERBERT SPENCER
74. LEE RAYMOND
*75. CLARENCE PAGE

77. HOWARD DEAN
*78. WILL PARKER
79. PHIL JACKSON
80. ROBERT ANDERSON
81. WAYNE BRADY
82. TONY BENNETT

GEORGE JACKSON?

84. JANE PIERCE
85. PHILLIP MORRIS

BOB JONES

88. WARREN CHRISTOPHER
89. ROBERT EDWARDS
90. JUSTIN ROSE

92. GENE CHANDLER
93. ROBERT LINDSAY

95. GILBERT STUART
96. NICK ADAMS
97. MARY HARRIS JONES
98. GEORGE MARSHALL

102. GEORGE MITCHELL
*103. ELLIOTT CARTER
104. JOSH GIBSON
*105. JOHN FORD

TANGREDI

MATCHES

75. Clarence Page, 103. Elliott Carter, and 35. Joe Gould
(LL) Carter Page (Trump)
(FF) Joe Elliott (Def)

78. Will Parker, 47. Robert L Stevenson, and 18. George Smith
(FL) Will Smith (Ali)

3. Glenn Miller, 105. John Ford, and 55. Henry Huggins
(FF) John Glenn (Mercury)
(FL) Glenn Ford (Gilda)

UNUSED ASSOCIATED WORDS
Shakespeare
Strouse
Berkeley
MacDonald
Duran
Dodd
West
Kramer
Chapman
Jefferson
Clinton
Margaret
Donna
Albert
Peggy
Jerry
Greg
Floyd
Dennis
Bonnie
Clarence
Mark
Tammy
Jesse
Fred
Tor
Mick
Mickey
Daisy
Daffy
Faith
Charity
Buck
Panther
Horse
Rooster
Hound
Sheep
Foxes
Whales
Fighters
Rascals
Sniper
Rifleman
Spy
Devil
Standup
Jerk
Giant
Patriot
Mayor
Chief
Chaplain
Martyr
Astronomer
Naturalist
Media Mogul
Godfather
Wife
VP
OK
HUD
North Carolina
South Carolina
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Las Vegas
Seattle
Detroit
San Antonio
St. Louis
Baltimore
Nuremberg
Manila
Flatbush
Chesapeake
Nile
Neverland
Oz
Apollo
Empty
Metaphysical
Spiritual
Bewitched
Wicked
Lust
Sin
Virtue
Property
Cello
Piccolo
Makeover
Reconstruction
Gold Rush
Golf
Poker
Swing
Jump
Press
Blow
Chop
Jelly
Ice Cream
Upstairs
Laundry
Enterprise
Arcades
College
Funk
Fever
Anesthesia
Formula
Ion
Magnetism
Circuit
Ferry
Train
One Way
Rules
Wars
Front Page
Middle
Center
Lost
Last Summer
Farewell
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#45 Post by franktangredi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:32 pm

There is now one definite answer that is wrong. Everything else is either right or includes the right answer as an alternate.

Now that you've figured out the mechanics, it might be easier for you to think of the matches this way: In every threesome, there is one name that is split in two. The first name gets inserted into the middle of one of the other names, the last name gets inserted into the middle of the other. (Middle names can be discarded.)

jarnon wrote:Updated consolidation...

1. BILL CLINTON
2. JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
*3. GLENN MILLER
4. CY YOUNG
5. JOHN DRYDEN
6. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
7. HENRY FORD
8. BILL T JONES
9. HENRY ADAMS
10. WILLIAM CLARK
11. PERRY MASON

13. BLAKE LEWIS
14. WILLIAM ROTH

16. DICK MARTIN

*18. GEORGE E. SMITH

SIR JOHN EVERETT MILLAIS

20. WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE
21. BILL W(ILSON)
22. RICHARD ALLEN
23. JOHN HAWKINS
24. BRIAN WILSON
25. DOROTHY SAYERS
26. BUCK HENRY
27. HENRY WALLACE
28. RON JOHNSON

30. CASEY ANTHONY
31. TOM ANDERSON
32. BARNEY MILLER
33. JAMES THOMPSON

*35. JOE GOULD
36. GEORGE KELLY
37. WOLFGANG PETERSEN
38. JAMES DOUGLAS

JOHNNY LONG

41. HELEN KELLER

JOHN ANDERSON

44. PAUL SMITH
45. JOHN NEWTON
46. GEORGE PICKETT
48. JACK BUCHANAN
49. CLIFF BURTON
50. ELIZABETH RYAN
51. ROY KERR
52. HENRY BILLINGS BROWN
53. FRANK KING

JONATHAN WALKER

*55. HENRY HUGGINS
56. MICHAEL KENNEDY
57. LEONARD COLEMAN

ROBERT BROWNE

59. KAY THOMPSON
60. CHARLES WHITMAN
61. STEVE VAN BUREN
62. JUSTIN WILSON
63. VIRGINIA JOHNSON
64. WILLIE BROWN

DAVID SCOTT

WALTER BUTLER

68. PAUL TAYLOR

70. GALE GORDON
71. JAMES TAYLOR

73. HERBERT SPENCER
74. LEE RAYMOND
*75. CLARENCE PAGE

77. HOWARD DEAN
*78. WILL PARKER
79. PHIL JACKSON
80. ROBERT ANDERSON
81. WAYNE BRADY
82. TONY BENNETT

GEORGE JACKSON?

84. JANE PIERCE
85. PHILLIP MORRIS

BOB JONES

88. WARREN CHRISTOPHER
89. ROBERT EDWARDS
90. JUSTIN ROSE

92. GENE CHANDLER
93. ROBERT LINDSAY

95. GILBERT STUART
96. NICK ADAMS
97. MARY HARRIS JONES
98. GEORGE MARSHALL

102. GEORGE MITCHELL
*103. ELLIOTT CARTER
104. JOSH GIBSON
*105. JOHN FORD

TANGREDI

MATCHES

(LL) Carter Page (Trump)
(FF) Joe Elliott (Def)

(FL) Will Smith (Ali)

(FL) Glenn Ford (Gilda)

UNUSED ASSOCIATED WORDS
Shakespeare
Strouse
Berkeley
MacDonald
Duran
Dodd
West
Kramer
Chapman
Jefferson
Clinton
Margaret
Donna
Albert
Peggy
Jerry
Greg
Floyd
Dennis
Bonnie
Clarence
Mark
Tammy
Jesse
Fred
Tor
Mick
Mickey
Daisy
Daffy
Faith
Charity
Buck
Panther
Horse
Rooster
Hound
Sheep
Foxes
Whales
Fighters
Rascals
Sniper
Rifleman
Spy
Devil
Standup
Jerk
Giant
Patriot
Mayor
Chief
Chaplain
Martyr
Astronomer
Naturalist
Media Mogul
Godfather
Wife
VP
OK
HUD
North Carolina
South Carolina
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Las Vegas
Seattle
Detroit
San Antonio
St. Louis
Baltimore
Nuremberg
Manila
Flatbush
Chesapeake
Nile
Neverland
Oz
Apollo
Empty
Metaphysical
Spiritual
Bewitched
Wicked
Lust
Sin
Virtue
Property
Cello
Piccolo
Makeover
Reconstruction
Gold Rush
Golf
Poker
Swing
Jump
Press
Blow
Chop
Jelly
Ice Cream
Upstairs
Laundry
Enterprise
Arcades
College
Funk
Fever
Anesthesia
Formula
Ion
Magnetism
Circuit
Ferry
Train
One Way
Rules
Wars
Front Page
Middle
Center
Lost
Last Summer
Farewell

jarnon

#46 Post by jarnon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:33 pm

mellytu74 wrote:Watching The Big Sleep on TCM.

If we don't get

92. Gene Chandler, 74. Lee Raymond, and

(FL)
(FF)
(FL)

out of this, it will be disappointing
The Tangredi pattern is
(FL) _ Raymond
(FF) _ Lee
(FL) Lee _

After some searching:
92. Gene Chandler, 74. Lee Raymond, and 52. Henry Billings Brown
(FL) Gene Raymond (MacDonald)
(FF) Henry Lee (Horse)
(FL) Lee Brown (Mayor)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mrkelley23

#47 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:56 pm

franktangredi wrote:There is now one definite answer that is wrong. Everything else is either right or includes the right answer as an alternate.

Now that you've figured out the mechanics, it might be easier for you to think of the matches this way: In every threesome, there is one name that is split in two. The first name gets inserted into the middle of one of the other names, the last name gets inserted into the middle of the other. (Middle names can be discarded.)

19. is THOMAS LAWRENCE, not Millais

jarnon

#48 Post by jarnon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:05 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:There is now one definite answer that is wrong. Everything else is either right or includes the right answer as an alternate.

19. is THOMAS LAWRENCE, not Millais
So the rest of the answers are right…

1. BILL CLINTON
2. JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
*3. GLENN MILLER
4. CY YOUNG
5. JOHN DRYDEN
6. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
7. HENRY FORD
8. BILL T JONES
9. HENRY ADAMS
10. WILLIAM CLARK
11. PERRY MASON

13. BLAKE LEWIS
14. WILLIAM ROTH

16. DICK MARTIN

*18. GEORGE E. SMITH

THOMAS LAWRENCE

20. WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE
21. BILL W(ILSON)
22. RICHARD ALLEN
23. JOHN HAWKINS
24. BRIAN WILSON
25. DOROTHY SAYERS
26. BUCK HENRY
27. HENRY WALLACE
28. RON JOHNSON

30. CASEY ANTHONY
31. TOM ANDERSON
32. BARNEY MILLER
33. JAMES THOMPSON

*35. JOE GOULD
36. GEORGE KELLY
37. WOLFGANG PETERSEN
38. JAMES DOUGLAS
40. JOHNNY LONG
41. HELEN KELLER
42. JOHN ANDERSON

44. PAUL SMITH
45. JOHN NEWTON
46. GEORGE PICKETT
48. JACK BUCHANAN
49. CLIFF BURTON
50. ELIZABETH RYAN
51. ROY KERR
*52. HENRY BILLINGS BROWN
53. FRANK KING
54. JONATHAN WALKER
*55. HENRY HUGGINS
56. MICHAEL KENNEDY
57. LEONARD COLEMAN
58. ROBERT BROWNE
59. KAY THOMPSON
60. CHARLES WHITMAN
61. STEVE VAN BUREN
62. JUSTIN WILSON
63. VIRGINIA JOHNSON
64. WILLIE BROWN

66. DAVID SCOTT
67. WALTER BUTLER
68. PAUL TAYLOR

70. GALE GORDON
71. JAMES TAYLOR

73. HERBERT SPENCER
*74. LEE RAYMOND
*75. CLARENCE PAGE

77. HOWARD DEAN
*78. WILL PARKER
79. PHIL JACKSON
80. ROBERT ANDERSON
81. WAYNE BRADY
82. TONY BENNETT
83. GEORGE JACKSON
84. JANE PIERCE
85. PHILLIP MORRIS
86. BOB JONES

88. WARREN CHRISTOPHER
89. ROBERT EDWARDS
90. JUSTIN ROSE

*92. GENE CHANDLER
93. ROBERT LINDSAY

95. GILBERT STUART
96. NICK ADAMS
97. MARY HARRIS JONES
98. GEORGE MARSHALL

102. GEORGE MITCHELL
*103. ELLIOTT CARTER
104. JOSH GIBSON
*105. JOHN FORD

TANGREDI

MATCHES

(LL) Carter Page (Trump)
(FF) Joe Elliott (Def)

(FL) Will Smith (Ali)

(FL) Glenn Ford (Gilda)

92. Gene Chandler, 74. Lee Raymond, and 52. Henry Billings Brown
(FL) Gene Raymond (MacDonald)
(FF) Henry Lee (Horse)
(FL) Lee Brown (Mayor)

UNUSED ASSOCIATED WORDS
Shakespeare
Strouse
Berkeley
Duran
Dodd
West
Kramer
Chapman
Jefferson
Clinton
Margaret
Donna
Albert
Peggy
Jerry
Greg
Floyd
Dennis
Bonnie
Clarence
Mark
Tammy
Jesse
Fred
Tor
Mick
Mickey
Daisy
Daffy
Faith
Charity
Buck
Panther
Rooster
Hound
Sheep
Foxes
Whales
Fighters
Rascals
Sniper
Rifleman
Spy
Devil
Standup
Jerk
Giant
Patriot
Chief
Chaplain
Martyr
Astronomer
Naturalist
Media Mogul
Godfather
Wife
VP
OK
HUD
North Carolina
South Carolina
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Las Vegas
Seattle
Detroit
San Antonio
St. Louis
Baltimore
Nuremberg
Manila
Flatbush
Chesapeake
Nile
Neverland
Oz
Apollo
Empty
Metaphysical
Spiritual
Bewitched
Wicked
Lust
Sin
Virtue
Property
Cello
Piccolo
Makeover
Reconstruction
Gold Rush
Golf
Poker
Swing
Jump
Press
Blow
Chop
Jelly
Ice Cream
Upstairs
Laundry
Enterprise
Arcades
College
Funk
Fever
Anesthesia
Formula
Ion
Magnetism
Circuit
Ferry
Train
One Way
Rules
Wars
Front Page
Middle
Center
Lost
Last Summer
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Estonut
Evil Genius

#49 Post by Estonut » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:06 am

I thought this is PETER COOPER, who built The Tom Thumb, but I'm not sure about the ferry service and the patent law aspects of the clue. I also don't think Frank would fail to mention his connection to Jell-O.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mellytu74

#50 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Estonut wrote:76. In addition to building the first American steam locomotive and operating the first U.S. ferry service, this inventor also played a major role in establishing U.S. patent law.
I thought this is PETER COOPER, who built The Tom Thumb, but I'm not sure about the ferry service and the patent law aspects of the clue. I also don't think Frank would fail to mention his connection to Jell-O.

That's what I thought... then, i realized THIS

might be Andrew Bradley. Which, matched with Cooper goes with Sniper

EDITED: Although we have James Fennimore Cooper - we don't need this to be Peter Cooper.
Last edited by mellytu74 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.