Anyone watching "Child Support"?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Anyone watching "Child Support"?

#1 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Caught the first episode last night - I think as a re-run. Holy cow - easy money.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Anyone watching "Child Support"?

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:18 pm

The unicorn thing...
Well, then

Billy Bored Thornton
Merry Man

#3 Post by Billy Bored Thornton » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Watch it? I live it every day.
What the f$%$ck are you looking at?

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:47 pm

The first episode was OK, but I expect it’ll be more if the same every week (like Deal or No Deal was) so I won’t keep watching.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

lilclyde54

#5 Post by lilclyde54 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 pm

I watched about half of tonight's episode. It seemed very staged to me.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

Brit Canuck

#6 Post by Brit Canuck » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 pm

It's almost a direct rip-off of 'Fifth Grader' (even the set, lighting and camera angles are similar), and also swipes a rule or two from 'Millionaire Hot Seat' (the top amount on the money tree is axed each time the contestant misses a question). The only noticable difference is that contestants are forced to redo a level with a new question when wrong instead of automatically advancing a level when saved by the kids. This slows the game down and increases the chances of a contestant leaving empty-handed (after two episodes as of tonight, the record's a barely-passable 2 for 4).

Right now it's coming across as just a cheap 'Fifth Grader' knockoff, with Ricky Gervais taking most of the Jeff Foxworthy role by being around the kids. Of course, they're in another room, leaving Fred Savage to fend for himself if games turn sour. There are times when Fred could use a hostess - preferably Danica McKellar, they've gotten along well together in the past. :)

ABC's had better game shows in the past. In many cases, however, and not just with their game shows, they simply lack either the patience to let them reach their full potential, the programming strategy to make them work (counterprogramming them against much more popular shows doesn't work), or the ability to not tinker with them and mess them up outright (read: 500 Questions, Richard Mason).

It probably deserves better, but I sense a good old fashioned 'Fifth Grader' 'Flunk Out' for this one.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 pm

So they have three teams of kids. What's to keep them from switching to a team that missed the answer after the contestant also missed? I saw the pilot (I'll watch tonight show tomorrow.) and they seem to have done exactly that once. The team of kids who all missed along with the contestant was different from the team they showed for every other question.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:21 am

Brit Canuck wrote:It probably deserves better, but I sense a good old fashioned 'Fifth Grader' 'Flunk Out' for this one.
Flunk out? I'd bet most game show producers would KILL for a 385-episode "flunk out" over 6 seasons!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:50 pm

Ricky's the worst part. He seems to veer between drunk and over-it bored.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am

tlynn78 wrote:Ricky's the worst part. He seems to veer between drunk and over-it bored.
I'd have to be drunk to sit there with those kids. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.