It's official. Things ARE bigger in Texas

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

It's official. Things ARE bigger in Texas

#1 Post by BackInTex » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 am

Buc-ee's in Katy recognized for its car wash by Guinness World Records
Guinness World Records on Tuesday recognized that the Katy location has "The longest car wash conveyor belt," which measures 77.72 meters (255 feet)."
The travel center also has more than 100 gas pumps.
The Buc-ee’s in Texas City [not the store featured in the article] has 33 urinals for the guys alone
For y'all that have never been to a Buc-ee-s, it is a treat. The cleanest restrooms around. Each stall is more like a suite, with floor to ceiling tiled walls. Plus, they have great beef jerky (not in the stalls, but up front at the registers).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

Re: It's official. Things ARE bigger in Texas

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 am

BackInTex wrote:Buc-ee's in Katy recognized for its car wash by Guinness World Records
Guinness World Records on Tuesday recognized that the Katy location has "The longest car wash conveyor belt," which measures 77.72 meters (255 feet)."
The Buc-ee’s in Texas City [not the store featured in the article] has 33 urinals for the guys alone
For y'all that have never been to a Buc-ee-s, it is a treat. The cleanest restrooms around. Each stall is more like a suite, with floor to ceiling tiled walls. Plus, they have great beef jerky (not in the stalls, but up front at the registers).
Wendy and I were first time visitors this past spring during our trip to Austin. We took a day trip/hajj to Waco for the Magnolia silos, and stopped at the Bucee's in between Austin and Waco. I can't remember if that's the Katy one or not, but it was certainly huge. The amount of stuff they sold was mind-boggling.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 am

mrkelley23 wrote: Wendy and I were first time visitors this past spring during our trip to Austin. We took a day trip/hajj to Waco for the Magnolia silos, and stopped at the Bucee's in between Austin and Waco. I can't remember if that's the Katy one or not, but it was certainly huge. The amount of stuff they sold was mind-boggling.
That would have been in Temple. Katy is a suburb (west side) of Houston.

What did you think of Magnolia? I went for the first (and hopefully last) time in June. It was hot, and as I tell everyone, I was pleasantly surprised at how little there was to see there. I was expecting this huge farmers' market type thing. We were in and out in only a couple hours, with just a t-shirt. ;)
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 pm

BackInTex wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote: Wendy and I were first time visitors this past spring during our trip to Austin. We took a day trip/hajj to Waco for the Magnolia silos, and stopped at the Bucee's in between Austin and Waco. I can't remember if that's the Katy one or not, but it was certainly huge. The amount of stuff they sold was mind-boggling.
That would have been in Temple. Katy is a suburb (west side) of Houston.

What did you think of Magnolia? I went for the first (and hopefully last) time in June. It was hot, and as I tell everyone, I was pleasantly surprised at how little there was to see there. I was expecting this huge farmers' market type thing. We were in and out in only a couple hours, with just a t-shirt. ;)
We didn't even get the T-shirt. It was Spring Break for me, and we heard that at least one school system nearby was out that Friday, as well. There must have been 10,000 people crammed into that space. You had to wait in a line of 100+ people just to get in the door of the damn store. It was like the most popular nightclub in town, or something. We took some pictures, ate lunch at one of the (overpriced) food trucks, did some people-watching, and then left. Luckily, Wendy made all those decisions. She wasn't willing to fight those crowds. I would have done it for her, but she said something to the effect of: "no home design is worth THAT." I agreed.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm

BackInTex wrote:Buc-ee's in Katy recognized for its car wash by Guinness World Records
Another article said they are doing free car washes on Thursday.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Estonut wrote:Another article said they are doing free car washes on Thursday.
Yep. I heard that on the way to work today. The only thing worse than having to wait for something free in Houston is.....well, I can't think of anything off hand.

The last time they had something "free"in Katy (a water park had free admission) the was a near riot as freebie hopefuls got turned away by the fire marshal as the park filled to capacity in about 1/2 an hour.

I can only imagine the traffic nightmare tomorrow in Katy.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:46 am

BackInTex wrote:
Yep. I heard that on the way to work today. The only thing worse than having to wait for something free in Houston is.....well, I can't think of anything off hand.

The last time they had something "free"in Katy (a water park had free admission) the was a near riot as freebie hopefuls got turned away by the fire marshal as the park filled to capacity in about 1/2 an hour.

I remember when the first few In-N-Out burgers opened in the DFW(?) area. Some people camped overnight and others waited in multi-mile long lines just to get burgers. They weren't even giving anything away for free!

I think In-N-Out burgers are pretty good, but I've never understood the obsession some people have for them (even less that for 5 Guys). I'd never wait more than 3-5 cars for In-N-Out.

I understand this was something new, but, geez, come back in a few days and you could probably drive right up.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 am

Estonut wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I remember when the first few In-N-Out burgers opened in the DFW(?) area. Some people camped overnight and others waited in multi-mile long lines just to get burgers. They weren't even giving anything away for free!

I think In-N-Out burgers are pretty good, but I've never understood the obsession some people have for them (even less that for 5 Guys). I'd never wait more than 3-5 cars for In-N-Out.

I understand this was something new, but, geez, come back in a few days and you could probably drive right up.

Not quite the same thing... but this reminds me of the special promotion some local gas station did after the baseball season in 1998. In honor of Mark McGwire's 70 homerun season, they offered regular unleaded gas at 70 cents (Probably also plus that 9/10) per gallon for one morning. Needless to say, they had traffic backed up quite a bit because of everyone wanting to take advantage of an offer they might never see again.....

Only they did see it again. The price of oil crashed that Fall, and just two months later in early December, the cheapest stations on the Missouri side of the river were selling regular unleaded for 65 cents a gallon. Still the cheapest price for the lowest grade gasoline I can remember in my lifetime (What, you weren't born after the energy crisis?)

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 pm

littlebeast13 wrote: Not quite the same thing... but this reminds me of the special promotion some local gas station did after the baseball season in 1998. In honor of Mark McGwire's 70 homerun season, they offered regular unleaded gas at 70 cents (Probably also plus that 9/10) per gallon for one morning. Needless to say, they had traffic backed up quite a bit because of everyone wanting to take advantage of an offer they might never see again.....

Only they did see it again. The price of oil crashed that Fall, and just two months later in early December, the cheapest stations on the Missouri side of the river were selling regular unleaded for 65 cents a gallon. Still the cheapest price for the lowest grade gasoline I can remember in my lifetime (What, you weren't born after the energy crisis?)

lb13
My first job with a paycheck was pumping $.32/gal gas for $1.25/hour. I was 15, now it is illegal for persons under 16 to operate the pumps.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote: My first job with a paycheck was pumping $.32/gal gas for $1.25/hour. I was 15, now it is illegal for persons under 16 to operate the pumps.
I too pumped gas as a 14 or 15 year-old. I checked the oil, fixed flats, and changed & mounted tires, too; all at the Enco station where my dad worked part time. He was friends with the owner and we needed extra money so we worked the weekends together.
~~ Thomas Jefferson