RIP Roy "Doc" Halladay

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

RIP Roy "Doc" Halladay

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Former Blue Jays pitcher. Died in plane crash in the Gulf of Mexico. Just heard this on Toronto radio station.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/fo ... ane-crash/
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

jarnon

Re: RIP Roy "Doc" Halladay

#2 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:32 pm

As the article notes, Roy won the AL Cy Young Award on the Blue Jays and the NL Cy Young Award on the Phillies. Only five other pitchers have ever achieved this distinction. RIP
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:43 pm

jarnon wrote:As the article notes, Roy won the AL Cy Young Award on the Blue Jays and the NL Cy Young Award on the Phillies. Only five other pitchers have ever achieved this distinction. RIP
And the second pitcher, after Don Larsen, to throw a no-hitter in the post-season. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:27 pm

I would imagine the list of first ballot Hall of Famers to be elected posthumously is a very short list (I can only come up with Clemente off the top of my head). Halladay will be on next year's ballot and already had a good chance of making it before this happened...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

a1mamacat

#5 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:05 pm

I am so saddened. He was the heart of the Blue Jays for so long. :(
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Was at a meeting at work. Had phone on vibrate.

Looked at phone for message.

Co-worker looked at HIS phone for a message at the same time.

We exchanged looks across the room, right before we both took out hankies/tissues and dabbed our eyes.

Punch in the gut.

RIP Doc.

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:19 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:I would imagine the list of first ballot Hall of Famers to be elected posthumously is a very short list (I can only come up with Clemente off the top of my head).
The only other one is Christy Mathewson, who died in 1925 and was in the first Hall of Fame class in 1936.
littlebeast13 wrote:Halladay will be on next year's ballot and already had a good chance of making it before this happened...
Yes!

Also elected today:
Edgar Martinez
Mike Mussina
Mariano Rivera
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:55 pm

I posted this in 2010: "I picked Halladay as a 'sumjunggun' on the advice of BDM and never regretted it. Those were the years before we had a keeper league, though -- the Rocks never saw him again."

Thanks to Jarnon for bringing this up so I could recall that memory again. Still very sad that Halladay died so young.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Jim Salisbury wrote:Brandy Halladay said Roy will go into Hall with no team logo on cap. It is out of respect for Toronto and Philly, two cities he loved
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:23 pm

jarnon wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:I would imagine the list of first ballot Hall of Famers to be elected posthumously is a very short list (I can only come up with Clemente off the top of my head).
The only other one is Christy Mathewson, who died in 1925 and was in the first Hall of Fame class in 1936.
Actually, because of the various Veterans Committees that vote on players who have been retired for, in some cases, decades, there are now 107 posthumously elected Hall of Famers. That number includes managers, executives, and umpires, as well as players (Lou Gehrig was elected before his death but not inducted until afterwards.)

https://baseballhall.org/discover-more/ ... sthumously
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#12 Post by jarnon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:58 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
jarnon wrote:
Actually, because of the various Veterans Committees that vote on players who have been retired for, in some cases, decades, there are now 107 posthumously elected Hall of Famers. That number includes managers, executives, and umpires, as well as players (Lou Gehrig was elected before his death but not inducted until afterwards.)

https://baseballhall.org/discover-more/ ... sthumously
Mathewson, Clemente and Halladay stand out because they were elected the first year they were eligible, and were no longer alive. You'd have to check the managers, executives, and umpires to see if any of them share that distinction.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#13 Post by jarnon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:53 pm

New Phillie Bryce Harper, who happened to wear #34, the same as Doc, when he was a National, has changed his number to 3 as a tribute to Doc. If the Phillies were thinking about retiring #34, now they have to. The Blue Jays retired Doc's number last year.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#14 Post by jarnon » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:31 am

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#15 Post by jarnon » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 am

jarnon wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:53 pm
New Phillie Bryce Harper, who happened to wear #34, the same as Doc, when he was a National, has changed his number to 3 as a tribute to Doc. If the Phillies were thinking about retiring #34, now they have to. The Blue Jays retired Doc's number last year.
The Phillies were waiting for a fitting occasion. They'll retire Doc's #34 at a tribute on May 29, the tenth anniversary of his perfect game. :(
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי