Happy Thanksgiving!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
BackInTex
Posts: 10832
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: In Texas of course!

Happy Thanksgiving!

#1 Post by BackInTex » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:32 am

Turkey is almost done.

4 pies made last night: Pecan, pumpkin, caramel apple with cornbread crust, some sort of custard. My wife made all the pies this year. I usually make the pecan and pumpkin, but she got busy and did 'em all.

Dressing is ready to go in as soon as the turkey is done. Then a few casseroles about 1/2 hour after that.

We are eating early (11:00) so S-i-l's family can go to her husband's brother's house for the afternoon and evening. His, my b-i-l, brother's wife has cancer and goes in tomorrow for 1st round of chemo.

Big, big game tonight. A&M vs. t.u.. Last time for a while so the winner gets extended bragging rights. My oldest took my two youngest to College Station last night for midnight (at 8 P.M.) yell practice. A huge eye opener for the two of them.

Emily, my 2nd oldest, is in India with my wife's sister and her husband. So we'll have a reduced crowd at the house today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and is thankful for something.
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.

User avatar
MarleysGh0st
Posts: 27830
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Elsewhere

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:53 am

BackInTex wrote:Emily, my 2nd oldest, is in India with my wife's sister and her husband.
India!? Are they on vacation or do they live/work there?



Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

User avatar
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend
Posts: 9593
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 am

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:56 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I want to go to India, too.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

User avatar
ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars
Posts: 19442
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:52 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:26 am

Happy Thanksgiving! It's always nice to have someone else cooking. Off to my family's "dinner" at 2pm. We've always had it at this time. This allows me to stop by a couple of others feasts later in the day. This year there's only one stop at my girlfriend's sister's house. And the weather is nice which is always a bonus.
And then there's roasted bruin on Saturday. Last Saturday it was cooked duck.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

User avatar
BackInTex
Posts: 10832
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: In Texas of course!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#5 Post by BackInTex » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:30 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BackInTex wrote:Emily, my 2nd oldest, is in India with my wife's sister and her husband.
India!? Are they on vacation or do they live/work there?



Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

B-i-l has a business over there and spends about 1/3 of his time in India. My S-i-l goes over there 2-3 times a year with him. They invited Emily for the week. They, S-i-l and Emily, are touring. They are hitting three or four different places in India. Emily was most excited about doing an Elephant safari (riding an elephant through the jungle). She and Mowgli would hit it off.
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.

User avatar
MarleysGh0st
Posts: 27830
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Elsewhere

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:30 am

ulysses5019 wrote:Happy Thanksgiving! It's always nice to have someone else cooking. Off to my family's "dinner" at 2pm. We've always had it at this time. This allows me to stop by a couple of others feasts later in the day. This year there's only one stop at my girlfriend's sister's house. And the weather is nice which is always a bonus.
And then there's roasted bruin on Saturday. Last Saturday it was cooked duck.
Found it! :)

User avatar
mellytu74
Posts: 8668
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#7 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:35 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Happy Thursday to our Canadian friends.

Turkey is in the oven. I am ready to go pick up TLAF. Target dinner is 2 p.m.

Boonie made the stuffing and potatoes. I made the sweet potato/apple bake (into the oven as soon as the turkey comes out) and bread pudding for dessert (ditto).

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30265
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:10 am

silvercamaro wrote:Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I want to go to India, too.

If you go, perhaps MBRS can lend a hand or four....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 11044
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:17 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from here, too. Jeff got his turkey smoking around 8, I got mine in the oven at 10 with the stuffing. We won't eat til 5 or 6 since these are monster birds. Making a sweet potato dish that does not include marshmallows! Roast them, peel skins off, then fry the skins and cover the whole mess with a vinaigrette sauce. Potatoes aren't started yet. D-i-l bringing beans and pie. Merv slept on my lap for a bit. Dot went swimming. It's cold here for us, which means it's lower than 75.

I love stuffing. You can throw the rest of it out, but give all the stuffing to me.

We're thankful for bunches of stuff. Stuff and stuffing! It's poetic!
Oh please.

User avatar
George Carlin
Merry Man
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:30 am
Location: HBO usually

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#10 Post by George Carlin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:21 am

Beebs52 wrote:Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from here, too. Jeff got his turkey smoking around 8, I got mine in the oven at 10 with the stuffing. We won't eat til 5 or 6 since these are monster birds. Making a sweet potato dish that does not include marshmallows! Roast them, peel skins off, then fry the skins and cover the whole mess with a vinaigrette sauce. Potatoes aren't started yet. D-i-l bringing beans and pie. Merv slept on my lap for a bit. Dot went swimming. It's cold here for us, which means it's lower than 75.

I love stuffing. You can throw the rest of it out, but give all the stuffing to me.

We're thankful for bunches of stuff. Stuff and stuffing! It's poetic!

The goal in life is to get more stuffing!
I'm feeling fine AND dandy, thank you....

User avatar
ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars
Posts: 19442
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:52 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#11 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:35 am

George Carlin wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from here, too. Jeff got his turkey smoking around 8, I got mine in the oven at 10 with the stuffing. We won't eat til 5 or 6 since these are monster birds. Making a sweet potato dish that does not include marshmallows! Roast them, peel skins off, then fry the skins and cover the whole mess with a vinaigrette sauce. Potatoes aren't started yet. D-i-l bringing beans and pie. Merv slept on my lap for a bit. Dot went swimming. It's cold here for us, which means it's lower than 75.

I love stuffing. You can throw the rest of it out, but give all the stuffing to me.

We're thankful for bunches of stuff. Stuff and stuffing! It's poetic!

The goal in life is to get more stuffing!

Like formaldehyde?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

User avatar
Buffacuse
Posts: 1726
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:52 pm

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#12 Post by Buffacuse » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:48 am

Hope everyone has a great day.

User avatar
earendel
Posts: 12972
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#13 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Happy thanksgiving from all the elves in Rivendell!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

User avatar
elwoodblues
Posts: 3630
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#14 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

User avatar
MarleysGh0st
Posts: 27830
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Elsewhere

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Beebs52 wrote:It's cold here for us, which means it's lower than 75.
It's in the mid-50's here, which is mild for Thanksgiving. And the next couple of days are supposed to reach 60! :)

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Happy Thanksgiving from Seattle. I hope it's a great one. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 23289
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:25 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I want to go to India, too.
I work with a few dozen Indians; we had an Indian food lunch yesterday. That's going to count as my big Thanksgiving meal.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
peacock2121
Posts: 18422
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:58 am

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#18 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:54 am

BackInTex wrote:Turkey is almost done.

4 pies made last night: Pecan, pumpkin, caramel apple with cornbread crust, some sort of custard. My wife made all the pies this year. I usually make the pecan and pumpkin, but she got busy and did 'em all.

Dressing is ready to go in as soon as the turkey is done. Then a few casseroles about 1/2 hour after that.

We are eating early (11:00) so S-i-l's family can go to her husband's brother's house for the afternoon and evening. His, my b-i-l, brother's wife has cancer and goes in tomorrow for 1st round of chemo.

Big, big game tonight. A&M vs. t.u.. Last time for a while so the winner gets extended bragging rights. My oldest took my two youngest to College Station last night for midnight (at 8 P.M.) yell practice. A huge eye opener for the two of them.

Emily, my 2nd oldest, is in India with my wife's sister and her husband. So we'll have a reduced crowd at the house today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and is thankful for something.
May we be thankful next year for your b-i-l's s-i-l's good health.

Awesome that Emily is having that opportunity.

User avatar
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!
Posts: 20244
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#19 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:26 pm

I hosted 10 for Thanksgiving dinner for the first time in a loooooong time. Very enjoyable, with others bringing stuff.

Pies were fabu! Homemade from home-grown pumpkins. We have a gluten-intolerant person amongst us, so she made one of them with rice flour. She said it was difficult, and experimentation with non-glutenized substances continues. I admit, I ate the regular one.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

User avatar
kusch
Posts: 1502
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:37 am

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

#20 Post by kusch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:40 am

Bob78164 wrote:Happy Thanksgiving from Seattle. I hope it's a great one. --Bob
So, what events are you playing?

Good luck!!!!

Post Reply