It's The Most Horrible Time Of The Year.....

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

It's The Most Horrible Time Of The Year.....

#1 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:46 am

Bah effing humbug!!! :evil:

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

christie1111
11:11

Re: It's The Most Horrible Time Of The Year.....

#2 Post by christie1111 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:50 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Bah effing humbug!!! :evil:

lb13

Found it LOL!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

geoffil

#3 Post by geoffil » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:58 am

Mecca has already started playing Christmas carols? Come to Dallas. Holidays are very low key and they don't overboard with the music and decorations.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#4 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:28 am

I had to go to the mall {{{{HORRORS}}}} on Saturday and the decorations were already up. It's ridiculous. Maybe a week before Thanksgiving, but not before Halloween, fercryinoutloud...
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:51 am

Except for Mecca, which marches to a corporate drum hundreds of miles from here, the local stores do pretty well. The radio stations start with the Christmas music on Black Friday, and that's pretty much when the decorations start too.

OldRadioDude, who started out as a regular DJ and left as program manager to become program manager at a bigger station, hated Christmas music and apparently forbade playing two Christmas songs in a row. So you would get Jingle Bells next to Talking in Your Sleep. We'll see how it goes this year.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 am

I actually thought this was going to be about Daylight Savings Time ending. I know you hate it when it goes on, as do I, so I assume you hate it when it goes off too.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 am

geoffil wrote:Mecca has already started playing Christmas carols? Come to Dallas. Holidays are very low key and they don't overboard with the music and decorations.
Great!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Kazoo65

#8 Post by Kazoo65 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:47 pm

My Mecca has had Christmas stuff out since mid-October. They put it in a section in the rear of the store (near the garden center) that is used for seasonal stuff. They had Halloween candy on one side and Christmas trees and decorations on the other. Way too early for me-but the local holiday parade is a week from Saturday, November 12th.
I'm just a game show nerd.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:45 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:I actually thought this was going to be about Daylight Savings Time ending. I know you hate it when it goes on, as do I, so I assume you hate it when it goes off too.

DST beginning is the pain because I just have to work the lost hour and stay until 8:00. Back in the day, we used to just lose the hour of work, which was fine by me...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:47 pm

And does anyone remember when Christmas stuff was trickling onto the shelves after Labor Day? I remember the days when Halloween and Christmas freight would start arriving at the same time in late August....

It has actually gotten better....

lb13

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:08 am

Oh, I never did remember to update this thread.... but when I went into work Friday night, everything was silent again.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the message board over on Mecca's associate site being flooded with employees pissed off at having to listen to it so early and so LOUD......?

Now to see if the silence remains through December....

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Really? Associates can openly grumble about the company on the company message board? :mrgreen:

themanintheseersuckersuit

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:35 pm

“We won’t be decking our halls until Nov. 25,” says Nordstrom. “We just like the idea of celebrating one holiday at a time.” Some holiday merchandise goes on sale early, but it's largely confined to decor, like Christmas ornaments.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:36 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Really? Associates can openly grumble about the company on the company message board? :mrgreen:

I was surprised to see it myself. I never look at it (I think you have to sign up with Mecca's version of Facebook to post anyway), but I had to confirm my benefits enrollment last week, and there is a link to it on the front page along with the most active threads, and the Xmas music one was most active by a long shot. I got curious and clicked on it and was surprised Mecca's Minister of Propaganda hadn't nuked that thread as soon as it hit their board. It was up to 450+ posts, and everything I saw on the first page was definitely grumbling, or stronger.....

lb13

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:42 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
“We won’t be decking our halls until Nov. 25,” says Nordstrom. “We just like the idea of celebrating one holiday at a time.” Some holiday merchandise goes on sale early, but it's largely confined to decor, like Christmas ornaments.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Kazoo65

#16 Post by Kazoo65 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Well, the radio station from Grand Rapids is now playing all Christmas music. They started on Tuesday. I was in my mom's car, and I heard it. There's nothing like hearing "Let It Snow" when it's pouring rain outside-but we did get snow on Thursday. Fortunately it didn't last very long and today it was sunny and in the mid-50's. Very nice weather for our Christmas parade.
I'm just a game show nerd.

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:01 am

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#18 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:58 am

Since it's gonna be a slow day, I figured I'd give an update to this thread I forgot about all week....

The music was back on when I went in Sunday night. Not as loud as the first and only other night I'd heard it when I started this thread, but there nonetheless. Then, about half an hour after my shift started that night, the power went off. The outage only lasted about 5 seconds, but when everything came back on, the music was gone again.... and it was still gone Monday and Tuesday nights! I like to think Someone intervened and said enough was enough....

I have a feeling Mecca is stubborn though, and I'll hear it when I report back Friday night....

lb13

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:35 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Since it's gonna be a slow day, I figured I'd give an update to this thread I forgot about all week....

The music was back on when I went in Sunday night. Not as loud as the first and only other night I'd heard it when I started this thread, but there nonetheless. Then, about half an hour after my shift started that night, the power went off. The outage only lasted about 5 seconds, but when everything came back on, the music was gone again.... and it was still gone Monday and Tuesday nights! I like to think Someone intervened and said enough was enough....

I have a feeling Mecca is stubborn though, and I'll hear it when I report back Friday night....

lb13
Opening at 10pm tonight....

It was nice knowing you, lb.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#20 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:39 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Since it's gonna be a slow day, I figured I'd give an update to this thread I forgot about all week....

lb13
Opening at 10pm tonight....

It was nice knowing you, lb.

That's just when the first sale starts.... we're open right now and don't close until midnight tomorrow....

And I just happen to be off Blitz this year... 8)

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:57 am

littlebeast13 wrote:The music was back on when I went in Sunday night. Not as loud as the first and only other night I'd heard it when I started this thread, but there nonetheless. Then, about half an hour after my shift started that night, the power went off. The outage only lasted about 5 seconds, but when everything came back on, the music was gone again.... and it was still gone Monday and Tuesday nights! I like to think Someone intervened and said enough was enough....
Here's hoping those "unexplained power outages" continue to plague your store as often as necessary. :twisted:

themanintheseersuckersuit

#22 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:23 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.