Fukushima comparisons to Chernobyl are nonsense

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Fukushima comparisons to Chernobyl are nonsense

#26 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:37 am

Come on, what's the worst that could happen.....?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#27 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:40 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Come on, what's the worst that could happen.....?

lb13
Found it!

LOL, BTW...
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#28 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:43 am

Rexer25 wrote:

lb13
Found it!

LOL, BTW...

I'd like to see the Colorado Border Patrol stop ES now.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

a1mamacat

#29 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:22 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:

lb13
Found it!

LOL, BTW...

lb13
Sprots Kong will come to the rescue :lol:
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

themanintheseersuckersuit

#30 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:32 am

a1mamacat wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
Found it!

LOL, BTW...

lb13
Sprots Kong will come to the rescue :lol:
Honey I Blew Up Mattias
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#31 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:48 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:

lb13
Found it!

LOL, BTW...

lb13
Some farmer out on the Eastern Plains will have that pelt in his trophy room by nightfall.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#32 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
Found it!

LOL, BTW...

lb13
Some farmer out on the Eastern Plains will have that pelt in his trophy room by nightfall.

ES would use their silo as a toothpick.....

lb13

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#33 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:

lb13
Found it!

LOL, BTW...

lb13
How about Destroyah? Or the tag team match of Mothra and King Ghidorah? Trivia tidbit...Godzilla has his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

#34 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed May 11, 2011 7:06 am

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/ ... r_disaster
The fact that Japan organised a prompt evacuation, provided iodine pills and kept radioactive material out of the food chain means that experts expect Fukushima to have a negligible public-health effect, at least in terms of radiation (stress, fear and being removed from one’s home are forms of harm less easily measured). Less widely acknowledged is how well safety procedures for the staff in the plant appear to have worked. According to Mr Masui, not a single worker at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant received a radiation dose of more than 250 milliSieverts, the raised limit for emergency responders set by government dispensation. That is five times the maximum annual dose for a nuclear worker, but it is well short of what is seen as a serious health risk.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#35 Post by etaoin22 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:44 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/ ... r_disaster
The fact that Japan organised a prompt evacuation, provided iodine pills and kept radioactive material out of the food chain means that experts expect Fukushima to have a negligible public-health effect, at least in terms of radiation (stress, fear and being removed from one’s home are forms of harm less easily measured). Less widely acknowledged is how well safety procedures for the staff in the plant appear to have worked. According to Mr Masui, not a single worker at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant received a radiation dose of more than 250 milliSieverts, the raised limit for emergency responders set by government dispensation. That is five times the maximum annual dose for a nuclear worker, but it is well short of what is seen as a serious health risk.
An excellent article. Of course. It confirms what I knew would be happening. :) :) :) :)

In terms critiquing the media, however, I will mitigate my previous point of view ("truth is irrelevant") in one aspect, since it is now clear that the seven levels scale for measuring the severity of accidents has proved to be insensitive to the differences between Fukushima and Chernobyl, and this would seem to have made the job of interpreting and reporting to the public more difficult.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#36 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Maybe this thread should be entered in the sports madness contest...
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

#37 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 16, 2011 12:23 pm

Based on provisional analysis of data on the reactor, the utility concluded that the water level in the pressure vessel began to drop rapidly immediately after the tsunami, and the top of the fuel began to be exposed above the water around 6 p.m. Around 7:30 p.m., the fuel was fully exposed above the water surface and overheated for more than 10 hours. At about 9 p.m., the temperature in the reactor core rose to 2,800 degrees Celsius, the melting point for fuel. At approximately 7:50 p.m., the upper part of the fuel started melting, and at around 6:50 a.m. on March 12, a meltdown occurred.
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/201 ... 8000c.html
Suitguy is not bitter.

#38 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Quote of the Day
One German organic farm has killed twice as many people as the Fukushima nuclear disaster and the Gulf Oil spill combined.
crickets.
Posted by: richfisher at June 10, 2011 1:33 PM
Suitguy is not bitter.

#39 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:57 pm

German Greens and their European Union acolytes have long fought scientific advances in food production and protection. After a spice manufacturer in Stuttgart employed the world's first commercial food irradiation in 1957, West Germany banned the practice in 1959 and has since allowed few exceptions. So it's no small scandal that the latest fatal E. coli outbreak has been linked to an organic German farm that shuns modern farming techniques.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 06926.html?
Suitguy is not bitter.

#40 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:09 am

So far, no radiation-linked death or sickness has been reported in either citizens or workers who are shutting down the Fukushima nuclear plants.
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/11/fukush ... -long.html
Suitguy is not bitter.