Hug somebody

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Hug somebody

#1 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 pm

I had a reminder today about the strangeness of life and death. I went to a memorial service for someone I hadn't seen in at least 15 years. I didn't know she had died until her husband called me around 10 p.m. last night. The husband and his late wife were part of the group with whom I used to play NTN trivia, as it then was called. We played at a restaurant/bar that shut down, and none of the other places we might have played seemed quite the same or as much fun, so gradually the group -- the usual conglomerate of people of varying ages and occupations in a college town -- drifted apart. I still liked the heck out of all those folks, mind you, but our lives no longer intersected very often. I always assumed that I would run into each of them sooner or later -- lots of time for that sort of thing! -- until one of us ran out of time. She had a heart attack. She was 46.

I probably wasn't the first choice for the husband's phone call, but as so many people have turned to cell phones and unlisted numbers, I may have been the only trivia player of long-ago whose name currently is listed in the phone book. He apologized for the lateness of his call, but said he had just started thinking about some of the people from those days and wanted to let us know. I promised I would try to reach some of the others who still lived in this area. I reached three of them quickly and found someone to give me an e-mail address for another. Despite the late notification, all but one of them were able to rejuggle their schedules and join me at the services. In the hallway of the church, we ran into the wife and parents of the owner of the restaurant where we all had laughed so much, competed against each other with such fervor, and gained mutual lasting friendships. We decided on the spot that we would throw a group reunion for ourselves, to drink a little, jabber a lot, laugh more, and catch up on years and years of celebrations, tears, and hugs.

In the meantime, I intend to find someone else to hug tomorrow. I advise you to do the same. You never know. There might not be time to do it later.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

jaybee

Re: Hug somebody

#2 Post by jaybee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:52 pm

You have got to be the classiest person that I've ever met.

What a nice and complete way to honor your friend.
Jaybee

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:49 am

Wise advice, as usual.......

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Snaxx

#4 Post by Snaxx » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:58 am

Touching story, and a nice inspiration for ES I see.
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:25 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Wise advice, as usual.......

lb13
Found it!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:31 am

That's why a lot of people like Facebook. It allows us to give cyber-hugs to our old high school classmates, old neighbors, old NTN teammates, etc.

Through Facebook I found out a few weeks ago that an high school classmate who lived in Mexico was beaten to death a few years ago by two teen-aged Americans who had invaded her house. :cry:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:18 am

Judy, that is so cool. You ARE a class act and a sweetheart. I will hug several people today.
Well, then

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:22 am

Uday,

That your friend's death allowed for people to reconnect and possible stay connected says so much about your people. I love that her husband called you. I really love that.

You are a great friend.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#9 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:50 am

This was a wonderfully written post. I am playing Buzztime (NTN) tonight with KT and friends here in Vegas. This is the first group I ever played bar trivia with. I haven't seen them since KT moved back to Pittsburgh and in the course of time, Paul, one of my favorites has passed away. I shall have a drink and toast to his memory and that of your friend.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

christie1111
11:11

#10 Post by christie1111 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:54 am

ulysses5019 wrote:This was a wonderfully written post. I am playing Buzztime (NTN) tonight with KT and friends here in Vegas. This is the first group I ever played bar trivia with. I haven't seen them since KT moved back to Pittsburgh and in the course of time, Paul, one of my favorites has passed away. I shall have a drink and toast to his memory and that of your friend.

I guess asking you to hug KT for me would be a bit much.

Hugs to you both virtually.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#11 Post by minimetoo26 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:02 am

christie1111 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:This was a wonderfully written post. I am playing Buzztime (NTN) tonight with KT and friends here in Vegas. This is the first group I ever played bar trivia with. I haven't seen them since KT moved back to Pittsburgh and in the course of time, Paul, one of my favorites has passed away. I shall have a drink and toast to his memory and that of your friend.

I guess asking you to hug KT for me would be a bit much.

Hugs to you both virtually.
I'll shower before I hug anyone. So you have to hug KT for me, too... :P
Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used.

-Carl Sagan

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#12 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:09 am

I'll will convey hugs to KT in a manly, but virtual, way. BTW, Paul was a good trivia player and hailed from the 'Burgh.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.