Oklahoma City tornado

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Oklahoma City tornado

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Local news here just put on a live video from a storm chaser or a tornado on Piedmont Rd. near Oklahoma City. Hope everyone is safe.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Re: Oklahoma City tornado

#2 Post by kayrharris » Tue May 24, 2011 4:12 pm

The White Hot Glare is hard at work. Hopefully, we'll hear from SC soon.

The report I saw looked like it was outside of the Norman area, but the radar looks horrific.
I've had enough of these tornadoes!!!!

kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Snaxx

#3 Post by Snaxx » Tue May 24, 2011 4:37 pm

ABC News mentioned it during coverage of the Joplin tornado aftermath...Part of Norman is in the warned area.
(Weather Channel, weather.com )
Tornado Warning for Cleveland County, OK
until 6:00 PM CDT, Tue., May 24, 2011
Issued by The National Weather Service
Oklahoma City, OK

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... NORTHWESTERN CLEVELAND COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA... NORTHEASTERN GRADY COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA... NORTHWESTERN MCCLAIN COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...

* UNTIL 600 PM CDT

* AT 522 PM CDT... A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH A LARGE TORNADO WAS MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH. THIS STORM IS TRAVELING TOWARD BRIDGE CREEK... NEW CASTLE... MOORE. THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS TORNADO.

* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE AMBER... BLANCHARD... BRIDGE CREEK... MIDDLEBERG... MOORE... NEWCASTLE... NORTHWESTERN NORMAN... SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA CITY... STANLEY DRAPER LAKE AND TABLER.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 35 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 110 AND 120.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 44 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 85 AND 114.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. LEAVE MOBILE HOMES AND VEHICLES. IF POSSIBLE... MOVE TO A BASEMENT OR STORM SHELTER. OTHERWISE MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM OR HALLWAY ON THE LOWEST FLOOR. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS AND OUTSIDE WALLS.

&&
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

Snaxx

#4 Post by Snaxx » Tue May 24, 2011 5:03 pm

There are two more tornado alerts; the second is especially scary.
(weather.com)
until 6:30 PM CDT, Tue., May 24, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Tue, May 24, 2011, 5:48 PM CDT

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... CLEVELAND COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA... CENTRAL MCCLAIN COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...

* UNTIL 630 PM CDT

* AT 547 PM CDT... NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 13 MILES SOUTHWEST OF GOLDSBY... MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH. SOUTHERN AND EASTERN PARTS OF NORMAN ARE MORE AT RISK WITH THIS STORM. WASHINGTON AND NOBLE ARE ALSO IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM.

* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE GOLDSBY... LAKE THUNDERBIRD... NOBLE... NORMAN... SLAUGHTERVILLE... SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA CITY AND STELLA.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 35 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 95 AND 109.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 40 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 169 AND 173.

IN ADDITION TO A TORNADO THREAT... THIS STORM LIKELY CONTAINS DAMAGING HAIL TO THE SIZE OF BASEBALLS OR LARGER.

&&

until 6:45 PM CDT, Tue., May 24, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Tue, May 24, 2011, 5:55 PM CDT

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... NORTHWESTERN CLEVELAND COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA... NORTHWESTERN MCCLAIN COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA... OKLAHOMA COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...

* UNTIL 645 PM CDT

* AT 555 PM CDT... A LARGE... VIOLENT TORNADO WAS LOCATED 4 MILES NORTHEAST OF NEWCASTLE... MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE ARCADIA... CHOCTAW... DEL CITY... EASTERN EDMOND... EASTERN OKLAHOMA CITY... FOREST PARK... HARRAH... JONES... LAKE ALUMA... LUTHER... MIDWEST CITY... MOORE... NEWALLA... NEWCASTLE... NICOMA PARK... NORTHWESTERN NORMAN... SPENCER... STANLEY DRAPER LAKE... TINKER AIR FORCE BASE AND VALLEY BROOK.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 35 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 110 AND 146.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 40 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 147 AND 172.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 44 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 105 AND 152.

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. IF YOU ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS LARGE AND DESTRUCTIVE TORNADO... TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY. A BASEMENT OR STORM SHELTER IS BEST. OTHERWISE... TAKE COVER IN AN INTERIOR CLOSET OR BATHROOM AWAY FROM OUTSIDE WALLS AND WINDOWS. COVER YOUR HEAD WITH PILLOWS AND BLANKETS.

&&
---

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Two dead and many injured already this evening in Oklahoma. :(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 24, 2011 6:02 pm

This was fun. Not. Around 5:30 p.m. I looked at the local area interactive radar on-line and counted 17 rotations in the line of storms from perhaps 20 miles north of Oklahoma City to around 40 miles south. By 5:40, three tornados were on the ground. The two biggest ones were to the west, and both seemed to be heading toward Norman. Both seemed to be getting bigger and stronger, and both seemed determined to stay on the ground forever. Perhaps prompted by the so-recent photos from Joplin, I began to get a wee bit nervous. For the first time ever, I cleared out half a closet, threw in pillows and a comforter, and put on my old bike helmet.

I never quite got into the closet. The phone started to ring. Son # 1 from Tulsa: "Are you, by chance, watching television?" Son #2 from Idaho: "I'm watching the emergency line from the fire station, and I just wanted to make sure you were doing well." By the time I figured out that Beebs also had called and left a message, one storm had passed about a mile or two south of me, and the other about eight miles north.

Cookies in pocket to lure dog into closet: approx. $.15
Bike helmet: approx. $34.95 a long, long time ago
White Hot Glare of Righteous Indignation: Priceless
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:04 pm

silvercamaro wrote:This was fun. Not. Around 5:30 p.m. I looked at the local area interactive radar on-line and counted 17 rotations in the line of storms from perhaps 20 miles north of Oklahoma City to around 40 miles south. By 5:40, three tornados were on the ground. The two biggest ones were to the west, and both seemed to be heading toward Norman. Both seemed to be getting bigger and stronger, and both seemed determined to stay on the ground forever. Perhaps prompted by the so-recent photos from Joplin, I began to get a wee bit nervous. For the first time ever, I cleared out half a closet, threw in pillows and a comforter, and put on my old bike helmet.

I never quite got into the closet. The phone started to ring. Son # 1 from Tulsa: "Are you, by chance, watching television?" Son #2 from Idaho: "I'm watching the emergency line from the fire station, and I just wanted to make sure you were doing well." By the time I figured out that Beebs also had called and left a message, one storm had passed about a mile or two south of me, and the other about eight miles north.

Cookies in pocket to lure dog into closet: approx. $.15
Bike helmet: approx. $34.95 a long, long time ago
White Hot Glare of Righteous Indignation: Priceless
If there is a next time, take the phone into the closet, please. Glad you're safe.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 24, 2011 6:06 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Cookies in pocket to lure dog into closet: approx. $.15
Memo to Lizbit: It may seem strange, but when Mom tells you to go into the closet with her, GO!

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2011 6:11 pm

4 confirmed deaths, total of 8 suspected deaths after Oklahoma tornadoes - kfor.com

Snaxx

#10 Post by Snaxx » Tue May 24, 2011 6:18 pm

tlynn78 wrote: If there is a next time, take the phone into the closet, please. Glad you're safe.

t.
Ditto. The stuff is close to Tulsa now. Hopefully it has weakened at least somewhat.
---

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 pm

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#12 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Fatalities across central Oklahoma are being reported. It will be a while before anybody guesses how many. The areas of damage are vast, including rural areas, small towns, and good-sized cities. Three small children, staying together, first were reported missing. Then, two of them were found and flown to a hospital. One of them is in critical condition. The third is still missing. Divers currently are searching a large neighborhood lake. I pray that child was found and taken in by another family to keep him safe.

One surreal-but-funny image appeared on television. A TV helicopter was shooting the foundation of a former house. In the middle of the foundation was a strange square box (a storm shelter or safe room.) As the camera zoomed into the foundation to show how virtually no rubble remained on the slab, a door in the shelter suddenly opened, and out popped a dozen or more people, one by one, like clowns from a miniature car.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 24, 2011 6:43 pm

The line of storms reaches down to Fort Worth, where current tornado warnings also are in effect.

Stay safe, DK and Cal!

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Looks like Tulsa is about to get it. :evil:

christie1111
11:11

#15 Post by christie1111 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 pm

This season is scary!

Glad you are safe SC.

Hope all BBs and their neighbors are as well.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Snaxx

#16 Post by Snaxx » Tue May 24, 2011 8:22 pm

That line of storms is approaching ... Joplin, Mo. Tornado warning in that county.
---

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 pm

NBCDFW Weather:

The Tornado Warning for Dallas has been canceled since storm is moving out but a new Severe t-storm warning is about to be issued.

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Bag claims jamming at DFW terminal D as airlines return luggage from canceled flights

http://twitpic.com/5264fa/full

TheCalvinator24

#19 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 pm

My parents were in Piedmont at the time of the OK storms. Made it to my Uncle's storm cellar before it hit.

I drove home from rehearsal for "The Music Man" through a pretty severe thunderstorm. Didn't know it was that bad when I headed for home. It was only lightly raining at the theatre in Garland.

Our power went out about an hour ago after the last line of storms went by. Lying in bed with no air conditioning or ceiling fan. I will have trouble falling asleep because I am so hot-natured.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#20 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 24, 2011 11:28 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:My parents were in Piedmont at the time of the OK storms. Made it to my Uncle's storm cellar before it hit.

I drove home from rehearsal for "The Music Man" through a pretty severe thunderstorm. Didn't know it was that bad when I headed for home. It was only lightly raining at the theatre in Garland.

Our power went out about an hour ago after the last line of storms went by. Lying in bed with no air conditioning or ceiling fan. I will have trouble falling asleep because I am so hot-natured.
I'm glad you made it home, with or without AC. I am particularly happy to hear that your parents are okay, thanks to your uncle and his storm celler. Piedmont will be painful to see in the morning.

One story out of the Piedmont area did make me smile. After the tornado passed, a man walked out of his house, which had been damaged, but not destroyed. He was astonished to discover a seemingly healthy horse standing in the shallow end of his swimming pool. The man doesn't own a horse, and neither do any of his close neighbors.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#21 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:01 am

Here's hoping there will be no need for duck and cover today......

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

MarleysGh0st

#22 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 25, 2011 7:09 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Here's hoping there will be no need for duck and cover today......

lb13
Found it!

And ditto.

christie1111
11:11

#23 Post by christie1111 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:11 am

Found it.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#24 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am

LB, I love your new avatar! Thank you for making me laugh.

How did ES know that Lizbit had a Hello Kitty helmet? She never wears it when he's around.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#25 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:13 am

silvercamaro wrote:LB, I love your new avatar! Thank you for making me laugh.

How did ES know that Lizbit had a Hello Kitty helmet? She never wears it when he's around.

Surely Lizbit doesn't think ES can't see through the windows...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com