THE END IS NEAR!!!!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Iben Browning
Merry Man

THE END IS NEAR!!!!

#1 Post by Iben Browning » Wed May 18, 2011 8:18 am

A worldwide earthquake on Saturday!!!!

So sayeth LB's complimentary USA Today he got this morning....

You have been warned!!!
Disaster strikes December 3, 1990! You have been warned!

Chicken Little
Merry Man

Re: THE END IS NEAR!!!!

#2 Post by Chicken Little » Wed May 18, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks IB, I'll spread the word.
“The Arctic will be ice-free in 5 years”

- Al Gore, December, 2008

In this case, use of the more technically “correct” term is actually less likely to convey the key implications to a lay audience.

- Michael Mann, SEEDMAGAZINE.COM May 30, 2009

Vague Mini
Merry Man

#3 Post by Vague Mini » Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 am

What is up with this??

First we have the world ending on Erin's birthday (12/21) and now you move it up to her friend Molly's birthday Saturday!!! Can you at least wait until after the party???????
Huh? What?

christie1111
11:11

#4 Post by christie1111 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:38 am

Vague Mini wrote:What is up with this??

First we have the world ending on Erin's birthday (12/21) and now you move it up to her friend Molly's birthday Saturday!!! Can you at least wait until after the party???????

That is what a co-workers was saying. She is having a birhtday party (her birthday) at her house on Saturday. She was hoping the end of the world would come later in the day so they could at least have had something to eat and drink first.

So I thought the Messiah had to come back first, then we had a bit of time to enjoy it, then the end of the world. Damn, I sould have read some of those pamphlets so I could have planned better!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:38 am

Oh come on, Lenny Bruce is not afraid.....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am

christie1111 wrote:So I thought the Messiah had to come back first, then we had a bit of time to enjoy it, then the end of the world. Damn, I sould have read some of those pamphlets so I could have planned better!

Hasn't The Messiah been in office for two years now.....? :P

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

christie1111

#7 Post by christie1111 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
christie1111 wrote:So I thought the Messiah had to come back first, then we had a bit of time to enjoy it, then the end of the world. Damn, I sould have read some of those pamphlets so I could have planned better!

Hasn't The Messiah been in office for two years now.....? :P

lb13
Bad LB!

Try to keep the political threads contained in just a couple that are easy to ignore!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:46 am

Listen here. We have the Ironman race going on on Saturday! If the world ends there'll be a big mess to clean up and the contestants will be off their times. This isn't going to work.
Well, then

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 am

The earthquake is supposed to occur at 6PM Eastern time, so plan your parties for earlier in the day and you'll be fine.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 18, 2011 8:55 am

earendel wrote:The earthquake is supposed to occur at 6PM Eastern time, so plan your parties for earlier in the day and you'll be fine.

I would prefer it earlier in the day. I have to dig up and remove the post from an in-ground gas grill. It would be much easier if the ground were softened up a bit first.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 am

Can I get my toes did first?
Well, then

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 am

Yeah, that's not going to work for me, either.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#13 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:15 am

tlynn78 wrote:Yeah, that's not going to work for me, either.

t.
You wanna go for a mani-pedi together?
Well, then

Appa23

#14 Post by Appa23 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:15 am

christie1111 wrote:

That is what a co-workers was saying. She is having a birhtday party (her birthday) at her house on Saturday. She was hoping the end of the world would come later in the day so they could at least have had something to eat and drink first.

So I thought the Messiah had to come back first, then we had a bit of time to enjoy it, then the end of the world. Damn, I sould have read some of those pamphlets so I could have planned better!
If you do not have a Bible or two sitting around the house, so you can peruse Revelation, you have many online options. :)

SpacemanSpiff

#15 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed May 18, 2011 9:16 am

christie1111 wrote:

What I've heard is that the rapture is to happen this weekend; the actual end isn't until October. Which is to say, anyone you see at church on Sunday hasn't really been saved. :? :shock:

(In all seriousness, when I hear folks genuinely promote this, I keep thinking of a classic line from Ramses II in The Ten Commandments: "Let him rave on, so men may know him mad.")
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Buffacuse

#16 Post by Buffacuse » Wed May 18, 2011 9:17 am

earendel wrote:The earthquake is supposed to occur at 6PM Eastern time, so plan your parties for earlier in the day and you'll be fine.
There goes my golf trip Sunday...damn, and I've been hitting the ball pretty well...

clem21
Nose Exploder

#17 Post by clem21 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:18 am

You know! My last final is on Friday. Can't I even get my grades back?? Or is all this studying for nothing... Harumph.
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

peacock2121

#18 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:26 am

Monday would work in my schedule.

christie1111

#19 Post by christie1111 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 am

If 6 o'clock is the time, I should be home by then.

I will have spent the afternoon quilting with friends followed by eating lobster since this is the annual fundraiser by the local fire dept. near the hosting friend's house.

I am bringing the wine, so that will be taken care of.

Vague Mini
Merry Man

#20 Post by Vague Mini » Wed May 18, 2011 9:40 am

Hmmm...they're picking up Erin around 4:30ish, then heading to dinner, then a movie, then the frozen yogurt place before bringing her back.

Can we make this more like 9 pm? Unless Mini-me's playoff game gets scheduled in the 7:30 slot, then I won't be free until closer to 10.

It is just so hard scheduling these Apocalyses anymore!!! I long for the good ol' days when they were non-negotiable. I mean, it used to be "Get that there ark built or learn to swim by sundown" but now they've got all these fringe cultures chiming in and putting their Rapture before mine on the calendar. How thoughtless!!!!
Huh? What?

BackInTex

#21 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 18, 2011 9:45 am

Crap! Just thought about something. Is the 6PM thing EDT or EST? Did they have DST factored into the original analysis?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

franktangredi

#22 Post by franktangredi » Wed May 18, 2011 9:55 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:(In all seriousness, when I hear folks genuinely promote this, I keep thinking of a classic line from Ramses II in The Ten Commandments: "Let him rave on, so men may know him mad.")
And I think of this one: ""No one but the Father knows the day and the hour." Apparently, they skipped that part of the Bible.

Depending on your viewpoint, then, this guy who has 'figured out' the day and hour is either a nut or guilty of HUBRIS. Or both.

earendel

#23 Post by earendel » Wed May 18, 2011 10:00 am

franktangredi wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:(In all seriousness, when I hear folks genuinely promote this, I keep thinking of a classic line from Ramses II in The Ten Commandments: "Let him rave on, so men may know him mad.")
And I think of this one: ""No one but the Father knows the day and the hour." Apparently, they skipped that part of the Bible.

Depending on your viewpoint, then, this guy who has 'figured out' the day and hour is either a nut or guilty of HUBRIS. Or both.
Actually, Frank, he does discuss this in one of the pamphlets available at his Web site. In a nutshell (no pun intended) he says that Jesus told his followers that so that they wouldn't fret about the end coming. But now things are different and a "true believer" can understand and derive the date of the end from the Bible.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

franktangredi

#24 Post by franktangredi » Wed May 18, 2011 10:06 am

earendel wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

Actually, Frank, he does discuss this in one of the pamphlets available at his Web site. In a nutshell (no pun intended) he says that Jesus told his followers that so that they wouldn't fret about the end coming. But now things are different and a "true believer" can understand and derive the date of the end from the Bible.
So he even knows what Jesus was thinking, eh?

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 am

At 6 PM Saturday I'll be somewhere near Louisville.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.