Oklahoma is on fire.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Oklahoma is on fire.

#1 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Throughout the state, wildfires have started and spread with 40-mph winds. A small town in a rural area about 10 miles from me has been evacuated except for emergency personnel. The schools currently are in danger. Homes have been lost and others are threatened. A nearby dog rescue shelter has turned the animals loose to give them a chance to escape because no one can transport them without cages, trucks and brave volunteers -- most of whom were ordered out earlier.

Another town is now being evacuated because of an unrelated fire.

TV helicopters are showing firemen working unrelentingly. Virtually every fire company is either working in their immediate areas or helping the firefighters in other towns. I love firemen.

I am in no immediate danger, but with all my doors and windows closed, I can smell the smoke inside of my house.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

christie1111
11:11

Re: Oklahoma is on fire.

#2 Post by christie1111 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:00 pm

This is not good.

Stay safe Silver!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

a1mamacat

#3 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:03 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Throughout the state, wildfires have started and spread with 40-mph winds. A small town in a rural area about 10 miles from me has been evacuated except for emergency personnel. The schools currently are in danger. Homes have been lost and others are threatened. A nearby dog rescue shelter has turned the animals loose to give them a chance to escape because no one can transport them without cages, trucks and brave volunteers -- most of whom were ordered out earlier.

Another town is now being evacuated because of an unrelated fire.

TV helicopters are showing firemen working unrelentingly. Virtually every fire company is either working in their immediate areas or helping the firefighters in other towns. I love firemen.

I am in no immediate danger, but with all my doors and windows closed, I can smell the smoke inside of my house.
Damn, stay safe, all of you
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Stay safe.

Keep an eye out for Lizbit. Four footers don't always react too well when they sense dangerous conditions.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:08 pm

christie1111 wrote:This is not good.

Stay safe Silver!
What christie said!

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Not good. :( I hope you have your car packed up just in case.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BigDrawMan

#7 Post by BigDrawMan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:49 pm

i would move the camaro to a wetter locale

i could look after it til the danger passes
I dont torture mallards all the time, but when I do, I prefer waterboarding.

-Carl the Duck

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:21 pm

That beedums is such a giver. Stay safe, ladysilver.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:46 pm

BigDrawMan wrote:i would move the camaro to a wetter locale

I love you, Beedums, because you are so thoughtful! If a situation arises in which the Camaro needs such protection, I would most certainly consider your kind and generous offer. Please be assured that Lizbit and I will come along with the car. We would want to make sure you could figure out how to change from heat to air conditioning without having to bring in Kay to explain it all.

Lizbit and I will be hungry.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:50 pm

A word to the wise: 'some'one's 'barbecued' is another's 'burnt'

just sayin'...

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#11 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Update: It's official. Wildfires currently are burning in all of the state's 77 counties. (This means that some parts of the surrounding states also may have big problems.)

I was a little more uneasy for a while, when the announcement came that fire had jumped the river into southwest Norman. I can see a plume of smoke directly south of me -- but it does not seem to have come closer or gotten more intense since I started watching it a couple of hours ago. The wind should go down when the sun sets, so that will slow the spread and, I hope, let the firefighters conquer most of the hot spots.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#12 Post by kayrharris » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:20 pm

It seems odd since you all have had so much winter precipation.
I pray everyone is safe & stays safe. Our firefighters are indeed brave people!

kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#13 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:33 pm

I wasn't even aware it was that dry down there.... though my timing was as impeccable as usual.....

Stay safe, and may I recommend an altered version of Burning Down the House (State) for next year's show?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#14 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:36 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:I wasn't even aware it was that dry down there.... though my timing was as impeccable as usual.....

Stay safe, and may I recommend an altered version of Burning Down the House (State) for next year's show?

lb13
I'll add a vote for that.

And my wish that everybody comes out of this with skin and homes intact.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

christie1111
11:11

#15 Post by christie1111 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
BigDrawMan wrote:i would move the camaro to a wetter locale

I love you, Beedums, because you are so thoughtful! If a situation arises in which the Camaro needs such protection, I would most certainly consider your kind and generous offer. Please be assured that Lizbit and I will come along with the car. We would want to make sure you could figure out how to change from heat to air conditioning without having to bring in Kay to explain it all.

You could go to that place where they have sandwiches where you have to have french fries on it.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Jeez Judheet. We're under fire bans all around here, but nothing is happening like up there. Please be safe.
Well, then

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#17 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Sheesh, things are nuts all over. We have apparently dodged a bullet in our area...remember in '06 when we had all that flood damage? They had all sorts of warnings and watches posted for our general area but it looks like we'll be ok. Still not completely out of the woods, what with warmer weather melting all the snow off, but the heavy rains didn't last as long as was originally predicted and wasn't quite as heavy as they anticipated, at least not in our location.

My wish is that you encounter the same fortune and also stay safe and untouched by the elements. Hey, we also have a big driveway to park in, and I'll bet Lizbit and Nipper would have tons of fun wrestling and would laff and laff.

I'm not sure how amused Gypsy and Freya would be, being of the feline persuasion, but my Beagle Boy would love it..
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#18 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:23 am

Ms. Camaro brought this heartwarming story to my attention......

http://www.kfor.com/videobeta/?watchId= ... 43c7aef81f

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#19 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:07 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Ms. Camaro brought this heartwarming story to my attention......

lb13

So this is the Found It!
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#20 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:13 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Ms. Camaro brought this heartwarming story to my attention......

lb13

So this is the Found It!

There should be two Found Its, one for each squirrel pup.....

lb13

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#21 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:14 pm

lb13
That's a great avatar!

ES taking some responsibility, cute little squirrels, great backstory -- I nominate this one for #1 this year.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Queen Fantine VIII
Her Majesty

#22 Post by Queen Fantine VIII » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

lb13

So this is the Found It!

There should be two Found Its, one for each squirrel pup.....

lb13
Li'l ES is adorable (natch), but I suspect that Li'l MBRS is rocking a weave......
Exeunt Regina......

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#23 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:54 am

The kids needed a slight makeover and some names. The Thursday night chat crew took care of the latter.... naturally, neither of my suggestions won out (I have named exactly zero of my own characters, unless you count Hooly). The name for Lil MBRS was an overwhelming favourite I had to use despite the fact that it was a name I gave to a pre-ES character I used to draw. The name for Lil ES came totally out of the blue when Ms. Camaro mentioned the Oklahoma city of the same name in a totally different conversation and the inspiration dawned on me and Fanny at the same time.......

Presenting ES's new friends, the pint sized survivors of the Oklahoma fires.....

lb13

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#24 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:06 am

littlebeast13 wrote:The kids needed a slight makeover and some names. The Thursday night chat crew took care of the latter.... naturally, neither of my suggestions won out (I have named exactly zero of my own characters, unless you count Hooly). The name for Lil MBRS was an overwhelming favourite I had to use despite the fact that it was a name I gave to a pre-ES character I used to draw. The name for Lil ES came totally out of the blue when Ms. Camaro mentioned the Oklahoma city of the same name in a totally different conversation and the inspiration dawned on me and Fanny at the same time.......

Presenting ES's new friends, the pint sized survivors of the Oklahoma fires.....

lb13
What's the tattoo that sulphur is sportin'?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#25 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:08 am

ulysses5019 wrote:What's the tattoo that sulphur is sportin'?

That would be a doggie bathroom. Sulphur's going to be Adventure Boy's new apprentice...

lb13