WoF Player Solves 7-Word, 27-Letter Puzzle W/1 Letter Clue

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

WoF Player Solves 7-Word, 27-Letter Puzzle W/1 Letter Clue

#1 Post by Estonut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:42 pm

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

TheConfessor

Re: WoF Player Solves 7-Word, 27-Letter Puzzle W/1 Letter Clue

#2 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:59 pm

As you have been known to say, the headline is "bullshit," since the actual story states that there were two letters called out before the puzzle was solved. Hey, it can happen to anyone. I realize that you were just posting an existing article, and not necessarily endorsing every word of it.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:04 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
As you have been known to say, the headline is "bullshit," since the actual story states that there were two letters called out before the puzzle was solved. Hey, it can happen to anyone. I realize that you were just posting an existing article, and not necessarily endorsing every word of it.
It's nice to see you read the article before nitpicking this time...
Groucho Marx

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Estonut wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
It's nice to see you read the article before nitpicking this time...
You taught me well!

zachhoran1

#5 Post by zachhoran1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:47 pm

People have solved puzzles from their armchair with no or one letter revealed before. Contestants have solved the puzzle on the show after just one letter was called. Tutti Frutti Ice Cream was solved in 1985 on the nighttime show with just the T's, and Nick Nolte Starring in Q&A was solved in 1990(then a recent movie) on the daytime Bob Goen version after one letter was revealed.

TheConfessor

#6 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:13 pm

This is the subject of Ken Jennings' blog post today, as well as the subsequent discussion on his message board:
http://ken-jennings.com/blog/?p=2250
http://ken-jennings.com/messageboards/v ... php?t=5979

Kazoo65

#7 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:19 pm

This is one reason why I would make a LOUSY WoF contestant-other than the fact that I'd need to stand on an orange crate to reach the stupid wheel! I can usually figure out the puzzles with only a few letters showing. I probably wouldn't win too much money.
I'm just a game show nerd.

FannytheBull
Ole!

#8 Post by FannytheBull » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:23 pm

zachhoran1 wrote:People have solved puzzles from their armchair with no or one letter revealed before. Contestants have solved the puzzle on the show after just one letter was called. Tutti Frutti Ice Cream was solved in 1985 on the nighttime show with just the T's, and Nick Nolte Starring in Q&A was solved in 1990(then a recent movie) on the daytime Bob Goen version after one letter was revealed.
Luck of the draw: What else could

T_TT_
_ _ _ TT _

(realistically) be?
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit......

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:29 pm

I have occasionally solved puzzles from the armchair with few or no letters (I remember impressing the hell out of the bar one afternoon when I glanced up at the screen after the puzzle had been put up, saw that it was a two word "PLACE" with an apostrophe in the first word, muttered "Fisherman's Wharf" and went back to bullshitting about golf.)

What impressed me about this one is that the category was the oh-so-generic "PHRASE." Doesn't give much of a clue, does it?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

thguy65

#10 Post by thguy65 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Article from Esquire includes interview with the WoF player to show how she systematically breaks down a puzzle.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/chris-jone ... one-letter
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:29 pm

FannytheBull wrote:
zachhoran1 wrote:People have solved puzzles from their armchair with no or one letter revealed before. Contestants have solved the puzzle on the show after just one letter was called. Tutti Frutti Ice Cream was solved in 1985 on the nighttime show with just the T's, and Nick Nolte Starring in Q&A was solved in 1990(then a recent movie) on the daytime Bob Goen version after one letter was revealed.
Luck of the draw: What else could

T_TT_
_ _ _ TT _

(realistically) be?
TITTY PRETTY
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#12 Post by Estonut » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:36 pm

thguy65 wrote:Article from Esquire includes interview with the WoF player to show how she systematically breaks down a puzzle.

Take that, Confessor! She had it solved before her opponent even called out his wrong guess of "r"...
Groucho Marx

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Finally took the time to watch the video. Am I right that she was several thousand dollars behind when she solved the puzzle? If so, my opinion of her as a player has lessened considerably.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

TheCalvinator24

#14 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:37 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Finally took the time to watch the video. Am I right that she was several thousand dollars behind when she solved the puzzle? If so, my opinion of her as a player has lessened considerably.
It was a prize puzzle, so she won the value of that. She did go on to win over $53K in cash and prizes.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#15 Post by ontellen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:48 am

I don't understand the big deal that's being made of this. I once solved the Proper Name puzzle with no letters. William F. Buckley Jr.

ShamelessWeasel

#16 Post by ShamelessWeasel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:26 pm

Estonut wrote:
thguy65 wrote:Article from Esquire includes interview with the WoF player to show how she systematically breaks down a puzzle.

Take that, Confessor! She had it solved before her opponent even called out his wrong guess of "r"...
If she knew it before her opponent guessed "r" then why not guess T instead of L. it would be worth more (3 T's vs 1 L). or G.

thguy65

#17 Post by thguy65 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:31 pm

ShamelessWeasel wrote:
Estonut wrote:

If she knew it before her opponent guessed "r" then why not guess T instead of L. it would be worth more (3 T's vs 1 L). or G.
From the article:
She landed on $900 and picked L. "I'm not sure why," she says. "I should have picked G or T, but I think because it was in the middle of the biggest word, I got stuck on it."

She would have made $1,800 more with G or T. But had she picked G or T, she wouldn't have solved the puzzle with just a single letter. She would have solved it with three. She probably would have still gone on to crush the game — Burke ended up taking it for more than $53,000 in cash and prizes — but she wouldn't have become the miracle contestant.

Only it wasn't a miracle at all.
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

Thousandaire

#18 Post by Thousandaire » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:10 pm

ontellen wrote:I don't understand the big deal that's being made of this. I once solved the Proper Name puzzle with no letters. William F. Buckley Jr.
Esto-idiot is easily impressed.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#19 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Since the show aired today....
I got the last regular game puzzle in today's show correct without a single letter.... A Gaggle of Geese.

I rarely ever watch WoF anymore (The only reason I saw it was because I was at the World's Worst Family Christmas Gathering), but I saw it plenty BITD, and I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've ever gotten a puzzle of any length with no letters and no giveaway punctuation marks....

Sister #1 was impressed at the very least.....
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com