Transcript 10/11/07 - Kristie Appelgren

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/11/07 - Kristie Appelgren

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Kristie Appelgren
Charleston, SC
Medical student

Kristie wants to be a pediatrician. She's also a bit like a kid, herself. Before coming out to the Hot Seat, she didn't want to hear what the other contestants' questions and answers.

Kristie: I closed my eyes and I put my fingers in my eyes and I hummed to myself, because I didn't want to get psyched out!

$25,000
"Ozone" comes from a Greek word meaning what?

A: To burn B: To smell
C: To paint D: To shield

Kristie: Okay, well, what the ozone layers does is it shields the Earth from ultraviolet radiation. And so burn, smell and paint don't make any sense. So, I'm going to go with ozone means to shield. D, that's my final answer.

Kristie falls to $1,000.

Answers:
$25,000: B: To smell

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 10/11/07 - Kristie Appelgren

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:28 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000

Kristie: Okay, well, what the ozone layers does is it shields the Earth from ultraviolet radiation. And so burn, smell and paint don't make any sense. So, I'm going to go with ozone means to shield. D, that's my final answer.

Kristie falls to $1,000.
I thought D would be a nasty distractor--Kristie is too familiar with curent events and it didn't occur to her that scientists wouldn't even have been aware of the ozone layer when the word was coined.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:52 pm

One and done, all right. :(

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:54 am

$25K: As soon as that D answer showed up, I had a bad feeling that she would be snookered into picking it. As a minister, I am pretty much required to know Greek and Hebrew. I recognized that the Greek word for smell is pronounced "ozein", so I completed two tiers without using a lifeline.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:24 am

If it had been a lower level question - that would have been the answer. I would guess that she had not studied the stacks over the years to be leary of this.

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:25 am

$25,000

The word is way older than the knowledge of what the atmospheric ozone layer does.

I knew you get ozone when you burn stuff (sometimes), so that was a good distractor for me. I also knew you could smell it. I was getting nowhere with word roots here; someone will tell me what I've overlooked.

I'd 50/50, & if left with my 2 choices, PAF.

Why oh why didn't the contestant use a lifeline?

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/11/07 - Kristie Appelgren

#7 Post by earendel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kristie Appelgren
Charleston, SC
Medical student

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:After failing to go with her reasoned approach to the ATA yesterday, I wondered how she'd do here.

$25,000

Kristie falls to $1,000.

I started to chide Kristie for this, but elwing reminded me that I had done the same thing - reasoned to an answer that was wrong.

The chemical element osmium gets its name from the fact that it is the only metal with a smell.

Answers:
$25,000: B: To smell
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:02 am

ghostjmf wrote:I knew you get ozone when you burn stuff (sometimes), so that was a good distractor for me. I also knew you could smell it. I was getting nowhere with word roots here; someone will tell me what I've overlooked.
Ozone is the source of that "electrical" odor found near high-power lines and other places.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."