The first GOP candidate debate

If it's going to get the Bored heated, then take it here PLEASE.
earendel

The first GOP candidate debate

#1 Post by earendel » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:31 am

I was "sitting on a sofa" (but not on a Sunday afternoon), "going to the candidate debate." Yes, I watched the GOP debate last night out of sheer morbid curiosity. My opinion, FWIW, was that Nikki Haley had the best showing. I felt sorry for Asa Hutchinson, Doug Burgum, and Tim Scott - they seemed to be just set decoration for the most part. The only time Hutchinson was able to make a substantive statement was when he said he wouldn't support Donald Trump if he were convicted of a "major felony", and suggested that Trump was disqualified from running because of the insurrection clause of the 14th Amendment. I will say that the candidates did stress the importance of having India, China, and Africa reduce their carbon footprints, and that our move toward EVs and solar panels only helps the Chinese economy. I'm not sure what to make of Vivek Ramaswamy - at times he seemed like a child among adults (I particularly liked Chris Christie's putdowns). He (and Haley) are right when they call for a generational change in leadership, but if Ramaswamy is opposed to support for Ukraine and Taiwan, then I have a problem with him. Plus, he claims to be "Trump 2.0", and IMO we don't need more of that. Perhaps saddest of all was Ron DeSantis. He didn't manage to shake off his wooden image, mostly sticking to his talking points and trying to remain "above the fray".

That's my rection to the debate.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

Re: The first GOP candidate debate

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:53 am

earendel wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:31 am
I felt sorry for Asa Hutchinson, Doug Burgum, and Tim Scott - they seemed to be just set decoration for the most part.
Asa Hutchinson is Chris Christie Lite (in more ways than one). Doug Burgum is "some other random guy up on the stage because he decided to run." I'm surprised at Tim Scott's poor showing and lack of assertiveness. I've heard his name bandied around as a positive alternative to Trump. But he didn't give people any reason to coalesce around him as the "non-Trump."
Perhaps saddest of all was Ron DeSantis. He didn't manage to shake off his wooden image, mostly sticking to his talking points and trying to remain "above the fray".
DeSantis was badly beaten by Andrew Gillum in the 2018 governor's debate, and a lot of people thought Gillum would win. Even Chris Christie outperformed him last year in the debate. DeSantis only works when he has a captive audience and a legislature eager to do his bidding.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:10 pm

Alternated between debate and Astros. Ramaswany is attractive if only for the facts that he isn't old and entrenched. And, don't forget Trump had no political or foreign policy experience when he ran, in re Pence's on the job training remark.
Well, then

Pastor Fireball

#4 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:23 pm

Apart from Pence, all of the candidates are merely getting groomed to be Former Guy's new running mate.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:38 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:23 pm
Apart from Pence, all of the candidates are merely getting groomed to be Former Guy's new running mate.
You're actually right.
Well, then

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:26 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:23 pm
I don't think Chris Christie is in the running for that, but I concede your overall point.

The funny/tragic thing to me is that the Republicans seem to be repeating the mistakes of 2016 all over again. Too many candidates, each siphoning off an important part of the Republican primary electorate, so that Trump, with his rock solid 33-40%, will win the nomination. And I honestly think that if he does, he will lose the general (of course, he will claim cheating), even with a weak slate like Biden/Harris.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:37 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:10 pm
Alternated between debate and Astros. Ramaswany is attractive if only for the facts that he isn't old and entrenched. And, don't forget Trump had no political or foreign policy experience when he ran, in re Pence's on the job training remark.
Yes, and IMO Trump's lack of foreign policy experience was one of his shortcomings. Given what Ramaswamy has said about "bought and paid-for politicians" I wonder who he might consider as a running mate.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."