Wow. A Catholic speaking to Catholics offends folks not even there

If it's going to get the Bored heated, then take it here PLEASE.
BackInTex

Wow. A Catholic speaking to Catholics offends folks not even there

#1 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 16, 2024 2:34 pm

A google search of this speech yeilds nothing but anger from folks who were not being spoken to (but perhaps about).

While I have plenty of beliefs different than many Catholics, what this man says, I mostly agree with. It's a shame the voices against him are being amplified more than the voices supporting him.

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

silverscreenselect

Re: Wow. A Catholic speaking to Catholics offends folks not even there

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 16, 2024 5:26 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:34 pm
A google search of this speech yeilds nothing but anger from folks who were not being spoken to (but perhaps about).

While I have plenty of beliefs different than many Catholics, what this man says, I mostly agree with. It's a shame the voices against him are being amplified more than the voices supporting him.

This is very embarrassing for me since Harrison Butker is probably the most famous Georgia Tech player currently in the NFL (and responsible for our most recent win over Georgia with a long last-second field goal).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:31 pm

Why is it embarrassing for you?
Well, then

a1mamacat

#4 Post by a1mamacat » Thu May 16, 2024 9:53 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:31 pm
Probably the Tateness of it.

I am sure most of the women graduates that were in the audience have more brain cells then that concussed loser.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Fri May 17, 2024 7:55 am

a1mamacat wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:53 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

I am sure most of the women graduates that were in the audience have more brain cells then that concussed loser.
Wow.

I doubt you listened to the speech in its entirety. Maybe you did, but had you mind already made up about what he said.
Did you notice he got a standing ovation, even from the women graduates?
You might as well insult those women, too, since they chose to go to that backwoods college and waste their parents money on getting educated only to stay barefoot and pregant the rest of their lives.

And SSS I'm sure would have been proud rather than embarassed had he doned a dress, some pearls, a little rouge, said he was a woman and complained about the lack of access for him to get an abortion, even though he can't get pregnant (such courage, though no credit for courage given for what was said).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Fri May 17, 2024 10:21 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 7:55 am
a1mamacat wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:53 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

Wow.

I doubt you listened to the speech in its entirety. Maybe you did, but had you mind already made up about what he said.
Did you notice he got a standing ovation, even from the women graduates?
You might as well insult those women, too, since they chose to go to that backwoods college and waste their parents money on getting educated only to stay barefoot and pregnant the rest of their lives.

And SSS I'm sure would have been proud rather than embarrassed had he donned a dress, some pearls, a little rouge, said he was a woman and complained about the lack of access for him to get an abortion, even though he can't get pregnant (such courage, though no credit for courage given for what was said).
All this. My favorite is when on-line pundits say, when it's pointed out he got the standing o, ".. well, those women must have majored in 'Stepford Wives' if they gave him an ovation." Yes, of course. They don't agree with your opinion, so their opinion is invalid.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Fri May 17, 2024 12:47 pm

My favorite is when they say Butker called Pride Month a deadly sin, without recognizing the allusion to the seven deadly sins.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat May 18, 2024 9:26 am

My initial reaction to this was the same as BiT's. He's a private citizen, invited to speak at a Catholic school's commencement and expressing his opinions, which may or may not be in line with the school's positions.

Then I read that his submitted version of the speech was completely different than the one he gave. Then I saw the public statement by the college, disavowing his actions and positions and publicly stating their regret at inviting him.

He's a private citizen, acting privately. He has a right to say anything he wants. But to prevaricate and deceive in order to get your remarks more attention is not very much in keeping with his overall message, I think.

And the Chargers schedule release video was hilarious.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Sat May 18, 2024 9:47 am

The best outcome would be for Taylor Swift to buy the Chiefs and then kick the kicker to the curb! :mrgreen:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 18, 2024 11:02 am

earendel wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 9:47 am
The best outcome would be for Taylor Swift to buy the Chiefs and then kick the kicker to the curb! :mrgreen:
When he was at Tech, Butker's Twitter handle was Buttkicker87 (the number he wore at Tech). When he joined the Chiefs, he changed it to Buttkicker7.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Sat May 18, 2024 9:55 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 9:26 am
My initial reaction to this was the same as BiT's. He's a private citizen, invited to speak at a Catholic school's commencement and expressing his opinions, which may or may not be in line with the school's positions.

Then I read that his submitted version of the speech was completely different than the one he gave. Then I saw the public statement by the college, disavowing his actions and positions and publicly stating their regret at inviting him.

He's a private citizen, acting privately. He has a right to say anything he wants. But to prevaricate and deceive in order to get your remarks more attention is not very much in keeping with his overall message, I think.

And the Chargers schedule release video was hilarious.
He called out much of the hypocrisy of the Catholic leaders. He was not wrong. Throughout history there have been many men who took a stand for what they think is right and called out those who were wrong.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:30 pm

The nuns at the college where he spoke don't seem to think much of his view that a woman's highest calling is to be a homemaker and mother. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

wbtravis007

#13 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat May 18, 2024 11:00 pm

I’m not going to watch or read a transcript of his speech, but I’m guessing that if I were to do either I’d think he’s a jerk.

If I owned the team, I’d go ahead and bother to watch or read it.
If my guess about him is correct, and I owned the team, I’d cut him.

Would not want him in the locker room. He’s a good kicker, but I wouldn’t want the distraction.

Free country.

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Sun May 19, 2024 4:26 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:00 pm
I’m not going to watch or read a transcript of his speech, but I’m guessing that if I were to do either I’d think he’s a jerk.

Would not want him in the locker room. He’s a good kicker, but I wouldn’t want the distraction.

Free country.
Good thing most owners are smarter than you.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

kroxquo

#15 Post by kroxquo » Sun May 19, 2024 7:47 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 4:26 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:

Free country.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Thirty-two owners refused to sign Colin Kaepernick for taking part in a silent, non-violent protest.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

wbtravis007

#16 Post by wbtravis007 » Sun May 19, 2024 8:16 pm

BackInTex wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

Free country.
Upon further review … I’d actually try to trade him first to an owner who would be more afraid of or wanting to cater to the necks more than I, seein’s how I’m fully aware that there are quite a few of y’all and what not.
Last edited by wbtravis007 on Sun May 19, 2024 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Sun May 19, 2024 8:24 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 7:47 pm
BackInTex wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

Free country.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Thirty-two owners refused to sign Colin Kaepernick for taking part in a silent, non-violent protest.
One difference is that Colin was doing his thing on the owners time, property, and while “on the clock”, disrespecting the owner’s image.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#18 Post by tlynn78 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:20 am

kroxquo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 7:47 pm
BackInTex wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

Free country.

LOL! Couldn't be that they simply thought they had better options?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire