The Tim Marshall "Geography" Books

If it's going to get the Bored heated, then take it here PLEASE.
Spock

The Tim Marshall "Geography" Books

#1 Post by Spock » Fri May 03, 2024 3:27 pm

He has three in a series that I really recommend for a quick strategic overview of the world.

1) "Prisoners of Geography" about the 10 most important countries in the world.

2) "The Power of Geography" about more regional powers.

And Now-I am working my way through his new Space-focused

3) "The Future of Geography"

And similarly-Robert Kaplan has "The Revenge of Geography."

Some may remember my interaction with a 20-ish waitress at Texas Roadhouse in Texas who saw my "The Power of Geography" book and was very interested in it.

I was my usual suave and debonair self-"Um, Ah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Um-etc"-LOL

While I will certainly never see her again, I will always carry an old man crush on her-Hey, she talked to me about a geography book.

But whenever I want to be reminded of her-all I have to do is watch this (2-Minute) clip of a Texas waitress from the movie "Hell or High Water" and it brings me back-LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-FX_7SFSsM&t=6s

Spock

Re: The Tim Marshall "Geography" Books

#2 Post by Spock » Fri May 03, 2024 4:58 pm

Part of me wonders if the waitress in the "Hell or High Water" clip might be based on "Beebs-The Waitress Years."
Last edited by Spock on Fri May 03, 2024 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 03, 2024 5:28 pm

Well--I ain't never been a waitress, tho I was a hostess as a second job. And I dint accept any whatyawants as opposed to whatcha don't want, well unless the owner said yeah go ahead and give them green beans.

I probably look like her now with pretty much the same attitude.😄
Well, then

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Fri May 03, 2024 9:29 pm

FTR-there may be an obvious somebody who reads this thread who won't begin to understand the concept-but my waitress story in the first post is something called "self-deprecating Humor."

I do it in a lot of my posts, maybe successfully, maybe not, whatever-it amuses me anyway.

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Sat May 04, 2024 10:28 am

Spock wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:29 pm
FTR-there may be an obvious somebody who reads this thread who won't begin to understand the concept-but my waitress story in the first post is something called "self-deprecating Humor."

I do it in a lot of my posts, maybe successfully, maybe not, whatever-it amuses me anyway.
C'mon, man. You'll wait to be told what the REAL meaning of your post is by those who know better.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Sat May 04, 2024 4:06 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:28 am
Spock wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:29 pm

C'mon, man. You'll wait to be told what the REAL meaning of your post is by those who know better.
Gee, I really hope I haven't missed any more of those sophisticated arguments about how "Spock's support for Israel just proves that he is an anti-Semite"-or something.

Weyoun

#7 Post by Weyoun » Sat May 04, 2024 7:47 pm

Is it just a coincidence, or did Spock’s commentary get even more stupid after he placed me on block?

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Sat May 04, 2024 8:24 pm

Weyoun wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:47 pm
Is it just a coincidence, or did Spock’s commentary get even more stupid after he placed me on block?
Nah, just you.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Weyoun

#9 Post by Weyoun » Sun May 05, 2024 6:51 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:24 pm
Weyoun wrote:
Nah, just you.
Spock: “Let’s see if the person I won’t name (but also who I cannot stop talking about) will notice I made a lame joke about a waitress.”

Tlynn: “Arf, arf!”

Compelling stuff - thanks.

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:12 am

Weyoun wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 6:51 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
Nah, just you.
Spock: “Let’s see if the person I won’t name (but also who I cannot stop talking about) will notice I made a lame joke about a waitress.”

Sweetie, again, no one is compelling you to read it.

Weyoun

#11 Post by Weyoun » Sun May 05, 2024 8:10 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 7:12 am
Weyoun wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Nah, just you.

Understood. Again, regardless, could your comments not be so stupid?

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Sun May 05, 2024 8:25 am

Weyoun wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 8:10 am
tlynn78 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

Understood. Again, regardless, could your comments not be so stupid?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spock

#13 Post by Spock » Sun May 05, 2024 3:38 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Nah, just you.

BTW-I will still see plenty of your stuff when people "Quote Respond" to you. And I reserve the right to respond as I see fit. But it will be limited.

Thanks for spending a few seconds of your limited time on earth thinking about my waitress joke-glad you liked it.

I just figured that I would rectify a gap in the knowledge base of the smartest man on the Bored. It is quite obvious that the concept of self-effacing humor was missed in your education and life experiences.
Last edited by Spock on Sun May 05, 2024 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wbtravis007

#14 Post by wbtravis007 » Sun May 05, 2024 4:46 pm

Spock wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 3:38 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Weyoun wrote:

BTW-I will still see plenty of your stuff when people "Quote Respond" to you. And I reserve the right to respond as I see fit.

Thanks for spending a few seconds of your limited time on earth thinking about my waitress joke-glad you liked it.

I just figured that I would rectify a gap in the knowledge base of the smartest man on the Bored. It is quite obvious that the concept of self-effacing humor was missed in your education and life experiences.
Do you actually think that he didn’t realize that you thought you were being funny?

Man.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 05, 2024 5:05 pm

"How about this. I’ll make no personal insults for a week. Let’s see how that goes"

Dude.
Well, then

Spock

#16 Post by Spock » Sun May 05, 2024 5:25 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 4:46 pm
Spock wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

BTW-I will still see plenty of your stuff when people "Quote Respond" to you. And I reserve the right to respond as I see fit.

Do you actually think that he didn’t realize that you thought you were being funny?

Man.
Seriously???

Yes, I figured he got that I was joking-but I think we can both agree that he is not much for self-effacing type humor and I took the opportunity to have some fun with it a couple of times.

Sheesh-some people.

wbtravis007

#17 Post by wbtravis007 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:53 pm

Spock wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:25 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Spock wrote:

Man.
Seriously???

Yes, I figured he got that I was joking-but I think we can both agree that he is not much for self-effacing type humor and I took the opportunity to have some fun with it a couple of times.

Sheesh-some people.
Okay. Okay.

So I’ll admit then that I guess that it’s possible that somebody besides you thought that it was all really funny.

I swannee!

Spock

#18 Post by Spock » Mon May 06, 2024 12:35 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 7:53 pm
Spock wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

Man.
Seriously???

Sheesh-some people.
Okay. Okay.

So I’ll admit then that I guess that it’s possible that somebody besides you thought that it was all really funny.

I swannee!
Thanks. I think-LOL. My interaction with you had me thinking about my time on Facebook which abruptly ended on November 12,2012. Prepare for a long, maybe boring story-but Hey-I was thinking about it.

For a year or so prior to that date, I used Facebook mainly as an outlet for my extremely dry, self-effacing humor, which seemed to be well received. Maybe partially because people did not know that I was that damn funny.

You see there is CS Lewis Quote about knights that I absolutely love-mainly because I recognize myself in the "Meek" part of the quote.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/845897 ... and-iron-a

<<<"he is also a demure, almost maidenlike, guest in a hall, a gentle, modest, unobtrusive man. "<<<

I figure that is largely how people see me in real life.

But I always figured one day-one of my jokes might cross the "wife" line and she wouldn't get it and would get pissed at me. At that point, I would just end my Facebook account. That happened and I did and the only time I have looked at FB since was when she shows me something.

Dang, that was fun to have that outlet for awhile though.

Maybe I reserve the fierce part of the knight quote for here-LOL

wbtravis007

#19 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon May 06, 2024 6:42 pm

Spock wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:35 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 7:53 pm
Spock wrote:

Seriously???

Sheesh-some people.
Okay. Okay.

I swannee!
Thanks. I think-LOL. My interaction with you had me thinking about my time on Facebook which abruptly ended on November 12,2012. Prepare for a long, maybe boring story-but Hey-I was thinking about it.

For a year or so prior to that date, I used Facebook mainly as an outlet for my extremely dry, self-effacing humor, which seemed to be well received. Maybe partially because people did not know that I was that damn funny.

You see there is CS Lewis Quote about knights that I absolutely love-mainly because I recognize myself in the "Meek" part of the quote.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/845897 ... and-iron-a

<<<"he is also a demure, almost maidenlike, guest in a hall, a gentle, modest, unobtrusive man. "<<<

I figure that is largely how people see me in real life.

But I always figured one day-one of my jokes might cross the "wife" line and she wouldn't get it and would get pissed at me. At that point, I would just end my Facebook account. That happened and I did and the only time I have looked at FB since was when she shows me something.

Dang, that was fun to have that outlet for awhile though.

Maybe I reserve the fierce part of the knight quote for here-LOL
Sometimes it’s just not worth it for me to clarify a post when it’s been misinterpreted.

Sigh.

Weyoun

#20 Post by Weyoun » Mon May 06, 2024 7:31 pm

Spock wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:
Spock wrote:

Man.
Seriously???

Sheesh-some people.
The joke wasn’t great, but I was commenting more on the “oh can he see me post this comment about him, gosh, I don’t know.” So stupid. It’s clear that I’m up in your head based on all these weird shout outs and side commentary that you direct toward me.