Oh No!!!!! I Just Realized Something

If it's going to get the Bored heated, then take it here PLEASE.
Spock

Oh No!!!!! I Just Realized Something

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:02 am

For anyone that remembers-Weyoun regards the fact that I really like an obscure movie that took place during the Boer War as some sort of warning sign or something-and this on a trivia-birthed forum. Apparently, you can't want to learn more about the Boer War according to him. Is it OK that I read Candice Millard's book on Churchill in the Boer War?

I just realized that when we got back from South Africa in summer 2023-the Spocklette and I read James Michener's The Covenant which is about South Africa. It had been several decades since I read it and, I know that Weyoun won't approve but it even had a long chapter on the Boer War-Gasp-clutch pearls-get panties in a wad.

I wonder what Weyoun's approved topics are for me?

Boer War is out-Can I read booksand like movies about the Anglo-Zulu War about 20 years before the Boer War? Can I be interested in WW1 in Africa -Von Lettow Worbeck and all that-I have several books on the topic and I would hate to not read the unread ones.

Oh, and then there is the Mau-Mau-one of my favorite novels is about the Mau Mau (Something of Value)-is that OK?

I think even Weyoun would approve of my readings of Alexandra Fuller on growing up in Africa in the 1970's and 1980's-she is a vegetarian, hard-core liberal who got bored with her husband and cheated on him and wrote an Oh-poor me divorce memoir-but who wrote one of my favorite books (Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness)-but you can't read that one first-you have to read "Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight" and "Scribbling the Cat" first

The kids laugh at me because most of my favorite movies (Not that Weyoun will approve) are either set in Africa or have Africa themes.

1)Blood Diamond

2) Secondhand Lions

3) Zulu

4) Breaker Morant

5) African Queen

6) The Wild Geese

7) Hatari!

tlynn78

Re: Oh No!!!!! I Just Realized Something

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:42 am

You will just have to endeavor to persevere in the face of his disapproval. Here's hoping you have the strength to carry on...
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

Re: Oh No!!!!! I Just Realized Something

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:52 am

Spock wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:02 am

The kids laugh at me because most of my favorite movies (Not that Weyoun will approve) are either set in Africa or have Africa themes.

1)Blood Diamond

2) Secondhand Lions

3) Zulu

4) Breaker Morant

5) African Queen

6) The Wild Geese

7) Hatari!
I liked those films as well, although I wouldn't call any of them my favorites (and The African Queen is an acknowledged classic). I notice you don't have Zulu Dawn, Sands of the Kalahari, or The Ghost and the Darkness on your list.

I would add that one of my all-time favorite films, Flight of the Phoenix (the original, not the atrocious remake), is set in north Africa.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com