Transcript 11/08/07 - Harry Pappas

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/08/07 - Harry Pappas

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:11 pm

Grand Giveaway Week - All contestants start with $1,000.

Harry Pappas
West Boylston, MA

Meredith: How are you doing, Harry?

Harry: I am well.

Meredith: Good! A New Englander, huh, from Massachusetts.

Harry: Go Red Sox!

Meredith: Go Red Sox, okay!

Audience: [Mixed applause and boos.]

Meredith: Be nice! Harry is our guest, okay?

$2,000
In Archie comics, Forsythe Pendleton Jones III is known to his friends by what more folksy nickname?

A: Jughead B: Moose
C: Bingo D: Pop

$4,000
In 1971, the New York Times published excerpts of top-secret Vietnam War documents, commonly known as the what?

A: White House Papers B: Senate Papers
C: Supreme Court Papers D: Pentagon Papers

ATA: A: 7% B: 1% C: 1% D: 91%

Harry: Right on! I was almost on top of that and I said, "Nope, I'm gonna to blow it."

Millionaire's Grand Giveaway $1,000 Winners
Doug Ackerman - Apple Valley, MN
Shayna Beck - Salisbury, NH
Sonya Beckley -Benld, IL
Cassy Jordan - Pueblo, CO
Gordon Matts - Lebanon, IN

-- Commercial Break --

Harry came here, in part, to dispel a myth.

Harry: The myth, as I've told my kids, just because there's snow on the roof, that doesn't mean the fire is out.

Harry has been married to his wife for 53 years.

Harry: She's a gem!

Harry's son, Aris (sp?), is in the audience.

$8,000
Named the 2006 Word of the Year by the American Dialect Society, "to pluto" something means to do what?

A: Embrace it B: Add it to something else
C: Devalue it D: Look inside it

50/50 leaves C & D.

Harry: All right, I'm going to look to what happened to poor Pluto, so I'm going to go with devalue it, final answer.

$16,000
Often referenced in rap songs, what alcoholic beverage was originally created in 1876 for Czar Alexander II?

A: Hennessy B: Bacardi
C: Courvoisier D: Cristal

Harry calls Mary, a friend of theirs. He repeats the choices twice.

Mary: Okay, I know it's not Bacardi. I'm between Hennessey--

Harry: I'm leaning very strongly towards Courvoisier but I can't have enough certitude to do it, Meredith, so I guess on these questions, catch up to you. So I think I'm going to have to say, thanks a lot!

Harry walks with $8,000.

Millionaire's Grand Giveaway $1,000 Winners
Louise Davis - Oakley, MI
Carrie Delp - Harleysville, PA
Veronica Derosier - Cape Coral, FL
Edward Markowitz - Pueblo, CO
Tara Simonic - Phoenixville, PA

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$2,000: A: Jughead
$4,000: D: Pentagon Papers
$8,000: C: Devalue it
$16,000: D: Cristal

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:09 am

$16K: A booze question disguised as a rap question. I had no idea on this one, so I would've tried the PAF.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:18 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:$16K: A booze question disguised as a rap question. I had no idea on this one, so I would've tried the PAF.
I am stunned that you said this, Nelly. This may be one of the few rap questions of which I've been certain. I'm not sure whether I've heard lyrics that mentioned Cristal, or I've seen references on gossipy web sites about who was seen at which club (demanding a bottle of what.) Since I've never gone looking for this information, there must be lots of it out there.

I don't blame this good-looking 80-year-old for not knowing the question about rap and over-priced champagne. On the other hand, I was astonished that he wanted any help to answer the question about the Pentagon Papers.

peacock2121

Re: Transcript 11/08/07 - Harry Pappas

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:23 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$2,000
In Archie comics, Forsythe Pendleton Jones III is known to his friends by what more folksy nickname?

A: Jughead B: Moose
C: Bingo D: Pop

Made me laugh. Too bad they didn't have this question before my 125K question.

I wonder if one day they will ask what Jughead's real middle name is.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:24 am

I think Uday is correct - he shoulda known Pentagon Papers.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:05 am

silvercamaro wrote: I don't blame this good-looking 80-year-old for not knowing the question about rap and over-priced champagne. On the other hand, I was astonished that he wanted any help to answer the question about the Pentagon Papers.
Agreed. Since it's rare to see a senior citizen quite so senior as Harry on the show, I was hoping he'd do better. (And, incidentally, shame on TPTB for not mentioning that he's (one of?) the oldest contestants ever to be on the show, when we've seen Meredith fawn over a college senior as being "one of the youngest contestants ever on our show".)

Harry also understood the current events connection for the "pluto" question, so burning the 50/50 was a waste. And if he hadn't repeated the answers during the PAF call, Mary would have had time to finish her answer.

<sigh>

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:30 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Grand Giveaway Week - All contestants start with $1,000.

Harry Pappas
West Boylston, MA
Harry: Go Red Sox!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: another hook? This is the first of two contestants that will mention the Red Sox.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000
In 1971, the New York Times published excerpts of top-secret Vietnam War documents, commonly known as the what?

A: White House Papers B: Senate Papers
C: Supreme Court Papers D: Pentagon Papers

ATA: A: 7% B: 1% C: 1% D: 91%

Harry: Right on! I was almost on top of that and I said, "Nope, I'm gonna to blow it."
Blown lifeline #1.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Harry came here, in part, to dispel a myth.

Harry: The myth, as I've told my kids, just because there's snow on the roof, that doesn't mean the fire is out.

I thought that applied to something other than brain power.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000
Named the 2006 Word of the Year by the American Dialect Society, "to pluto" something means to do what?

A: Embrace it B: Add it to something else
C: Devalue it D: Look inside it

50/50 leaves C & D.

Harry: All right, I'm going to look to what happened to poor Pluto, so I'm going to go with devalue it, final answer.

There goes the second lifeline.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000
Often referenced in rap songs, what alcoholic beverage was originally created in 1876 for Czar Alexander II?

A: Hennessy B: Bacardi
C: Courvoisier D: Cristal

Harry calls Mary, a friend of theirs. He repeats the choices twice.

Mary: Okay, I know it's not Bacardi. I'm between Hennessey--

Harry: I'm leaning very strongly towards Courvoisier but I can't have enough certitude to do it, Meredith, so I guess on these questions, catch up to you. So I think I'm going to have to say, thanks a lot!

And although this lifeline wasn't blown, it was another example of lack of preparation on the part of the contestant and the PAF.

I wouldn't have known this one, and I don't think the audience would, either, so it's time to PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

takinover

#8 Post by takinover » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:45 pm

earendel wrote:I wouldn't have known this one, and I don't think the audience would, either, so it's time to PAF.
Maybe my own bias, but I disagree, I think the audience would have gotten it. I think inserting the rap clue is the difference between this being appropriately valued where it was and it being a $500K or $1M question. I am not a big rap or music listener in general either.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:48 pm

takinover wrote:
earendel wrote:I wouldn't have known this one, and I don't think the audience would, either, so it's time to PAF.
Maybe my own bias, but I disagree, I think the audience would have gotten it. I think inserting the rap clue is the difference between this being appropriately valued where it was and it being a $500K or $1M question. I am not a big rap or music listener in general either.
I dunno - the NYC audiences are pretty au courant but I don't know if they'd pick up on this one. In retrospect, though, I might have kicked myself for not trying ATA had I been in Harry's place, hoping that the pop culture aspect of the question would overshadow the historical trivia element.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Kazoo65

RE: transcript 11/8/07 Harry Pappas

#10 Post by Kazoo65 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:29 pm

I liked this guy. He was enjoyable to watch and I was rooting for him.

Why did he burn the ATA on the Pentagon Papers question?? Was it hotseatitis? He looks old enough to REMEMBER this. I could see a typical 20-something contestant using a lifeline on this question, but some guy who's been married 53 years???
He should have kept the ATA and used it on the $16K rap music/liquor question. That's where I would have needed it.

I still think they should have a special week for seniors like J! used to. I bet there are many smart seniors out there that would LOVE to get on BAM.
I'm just a game show nerd.

gsabc

Re: RE: transcript 11/8/07 Harry Pappas

#11 Post by gsabc » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:30 am

Kazoo65 wrote:I still think they should have a special week for seniors like J! used to. I bet there are many smart seniors out there that would LOVE to get on BAM.
By the time TPTB do this, I WILL be a senior. AARP thinks I am already, but they're wrong by many years. They just want my money.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

Re: RE: transcript 11/8/07 Harry Pappas

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:44 am

Kazoo65 wrote:Why did he burn the ATA on the Pentagon Papers question?? Was it hotseatitis? He looks old enough to REMEMBER this.
Thank you, Kazoo, from all of us who are old enough to remember this. :P