State capital trivia

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
macrae1234

State capital trivia

#1 Post by macrae1234 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:35 pm

Some state capital names are obvious but these 10 aren't

It was renamed following a bitter boundary dispute between two towns.

Named after a general who died in the American Revolutionary War attempting to capture Quebec, Canada

Named after a brigadier general mortally wounded while leading his brigade in the Battle of Germantown on October 4, 1777

Named after their hometown by investors who were sold land in a floodplain that was underwater during the majority of the year.

Named for an affluent merchant who probably died of a stroke; however, three slaves were arrested and hanged, allegedly for poisoning him.

Named after the daughter of an American physician, statesman and veteran of both the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Named after the son of one of the first settlers in St. Louis

Named after a religious ceremony

Named after a pioneer who was killed by Indians while making salt

Named for the father of the person who purchased the claim for the original townsite

wintergreen48

#2 Post by wintergreen48 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:17 pm

These are tough.

It was renamed following a bitter boundary dispute between two towns. Salem, OR or Concord, NH, go with Salem (WAG, but would make sense)

Named after a general who died in the American Revolutionary War attempting to capture Quebec, Canada Montgomery, AL

Named after a brigadier general mortally wounded while leading his brigade in the Battle of Germantown on October 4, 1777 Harrisburg, PA (WAG, but there must have been someone named Harris at that battle, and the battle was in PA and Harrisburg is west of Germantown...

Named after their hometown by investors who were sold land in a floodplain that was underwater during the majority of the year. NAC

Named for an affluent merchant who probably died of a stroke; however, three slaves were arrested and hanged, allegedly for poisoning him. Nashville, TN WAG

Named after the daughter of an American physician, statesman and veteran of both the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Augusta, ME or Helena, MT, go with Augusta WAG

Named after the son of one of the first settlers in St. Louis Pierre, SD WAG, wouldn't it be something French?

Named after a religious ceremony Oahu, HI WAG, but makes sense to me

Named after a pioneer who was killed by Indians while making salt NAC

Named for the father of the person who purchased the claim for the original townsite NAC[/b]

christie1111
11:11

#3 Post by christie1111 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:19 pm

I think 4 is Des Plains. Wait, that is a capital, isn't it?

Sheesh, now I have to go look them all up again.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:24 pm

1. Concord
2. MOntgomery
3. Nashville
4. nope
5. nope
6. Augusta
7. nope
8. nope
9. Sacramento
10. nope
11. nope

i suck at State capitals.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

macrae1234

#5 Post by macrae1234 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:27 pm

Spoiler
It was renamed following a bitter boundary dispute between two towns. Concord NH as in agreement

Named after a general who died in the American Revolutionary War attempting to capture Quebec, Canada Montgomery AL

Named after a brigadier general mortally wounded while leading his brigade in the Battle of Germantown on October 4, 1777 Nashville Tn

Named after their hometown by investors who were sold land in a floodplain that was underwater during the majority of the year. Lansing MI

Named for an affluent merchant who probably died of a stroke; however, three slaves were arrested and hanged, allegedly for poisoning him. Trenton NJ

Named after the daughter of an American physician, statesman and veteran of both the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Augusta ME

Named after the son of one of the first settlers in St. Louis Pierre SD

Named after a religious ceremony Sacramento CA

Named after a pioneer who was killed by Indians while making salt Frankford KY

Named for the father of the person who purchased the claim for the original townsite Charleston WV

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:35 pm

macrae1234 wrote:
Spoiler
Named after their hometown by investors who were sold land in a floodplain that was underwater during the majority of the year. Lansing MI
Spoiler
To be clear, it was Lansing, Michigan, that was located in the floodplain. The settlers' hometown was Lansing, NY, which is right here next to Ithaca and is high and dry above Cayuga's waters. :)

macrae1234

#7 Post by macrae1234 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:01 pm

Marley the category was state capitals

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:09 pm

macrae1234 wrote:Marley the category was state capitals
Yeah, fine. Let me get my local plug in here, since it's related to one of the questions, will ya? 8)

wintergreen48

#9 Post by wintergreen48 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:13 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler
To be clear, it was Lansing, Michigan, that was located in the floodplain. The settlers' hometown was Lansing, NY, which is right here next to Ithaca and is high and dry above Cayuga's waters. :)

High above Cayuga's waters
There's an awful smell;
Some say it's Cayuga's waters,
Others say Cornell.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:18 pm

Wintergreen gets the classic reference, of course! :lol:

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:21 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
macrae1234 wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
And the one in New York was named for one of my cousins, a descendant of early settlers of Albany.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:30 pm

Bob Juch wrote: And the one in New York was named for one of my cousins, a descendant of early settlers of Albany.
He wouldn't be buried here, would he, Bob? They still have some very well preserved 200-year-old headstones in town!

BTW, I like your costume today! :D

macrae1234

#13 Post by macrae1234 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:22 pm

No he would not

His cousin's death was the most mysterious of all the delegates to the Constitutional Convention. While on a visit to New York City in 1829, he left his hotel to post some letters. No trace of him was ever found, and it was supposed that he had been murdered

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:40 pm

macrae1234 wrote:No he would not

His cousin's death was the most mysterious of all the delegates to the Constitutional Convention. While on a visit to New York City in 1829, he left his hotel to post some letters. No trace of him was ever found, and it was supposed that he had been murdered
Correct! Of course his family members are buried around there.