Class of 2020 / 2024 Cannot Catch a Break

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

Class of 2020 / 2024 Cannot Catch a Break

#1 Post by Appa23 » Mon May 06, 2024 9:49 am

In all of the coverage of the campus protests, including college commencements being cancelled, I have not heard much being reported about the fact that this will be the second time that those students will have been robbed of being able to celebrate a graduation with their classmates due to actions by other people, without really being able to provide their input.

To be honest, I had not connected the dots until I spoke with my daughter last week about her upcoming graduation. Her school has not seen the influx of outside protesters or had the influx of tent villages like universities on the coasts. Still, there was some activity last week, and she was slightly concerned that it would grow and impact her graduation.

This class of students had to endure missing their senior prom, high school graduation, and not being able to participate in other school-specific traditions. (For some, like my daughter, they had to pick a college without being able to take a real college visit.) Then, their first year or more of college was anything but a normal college experience, as it was filled with Zoom classes, mandatory quarantines if they were in close contact with anyone with a positive Covid test, and ceaseless testing. It was no surprise when they experienced increased levels of mental health issues, leading too often to campus suicides.

It is unnecessarily unfortunate that no one (neither university administration nor protesters) have given much (if any) thought about the real impacts to the students when dealing with the ongoing protests.

[I do not view this to be a political post, but others may.]

BackInTex

Re: Class of 2020 / 2024 Cannot Catch a Break

#2 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 06, 2024 12:08 pm

My wife brought this to my attention (4 years ago the same kids missed thier HS graduations due to Covid) last week when they were reporting some cancelled graduation ceremonies. Truly sad for thos kids, and any that experiences either cancellations, let alone, both.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue May 07, 2024 6:07 am

Absolutely sad, and thank you for posting about it. I had not realized it, probably because I'm no longer teaching.

I'm not sure if it would be better to have a commencement with a heavy police presence or not have one at all. But I strongly disagree with these decisions by colleges and universities.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Thu May 09, 2024 2:27 pm

I participated in Temple University's 137th Commencement on Wednesday. The individual schools within the University hold smaller ceremonies where the walking across the stage occurs.

Several years ago, Temple began inviting "Golden Owls" to join the commencement - graduates from 50 years ago (or longer) march in after the students.

Quinta Brunson was our commencement speaker - she was honored by the Lew Klein School of Media and Communications the night before. She spoke with humor and compassion about keeping your friends, your tribe, the people who have always supported you - My Owls, she called them - close to you.

Student speaker Journee Reba Katz (remember that name, folks) also addressed the lack of real-life ceremonies since eighth grade for the vast number of students with humor and compassion.

In the stands, I saw - and waved to - one of my old neighbors who was there to see her grandson. In the pre-ceremony reception, I saw college friends I hadn't seen in years. It was just a wonderful experience.

A wonderful day.