RIP the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

RIP the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore

#1 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:49 am

Yikes!

Cargo ship hits Baltimore’s Key Bridge, bringing it down. Rescuers are looking for people in water
BALTIMORE (AP) — A container ship rammed into a major bridge in Baltimore early Tuesday, causing it to collapse in a matter of seconds and creating a terrifying scene as several vehicles plunged into the chilly river below.

It was not clear why the cargo ship crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge long before the morning commute, or how many people might be in the waters of the busy harbor near a key port. Rescuers pulled two people from the water by mid-morning and searched for more.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

BackInTex

Re: RIP the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore

#2 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#3 Post by Vandal » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

This page has a video of the collapse. It went down like it was made of Tinkertoys.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 102358007/
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:20 am

We've been on that bridge countless times - my heart hurts for those lost and their families.

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:09 am

Just horrible.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:14 am

I thought of Legos falling. We were counting cars crossing and didn't appear any were on at impact. Hope ones just before made it.
Well, then

kroxquo

#7 Post by kroxquo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:42 am

Apparently a mayday was sent in time for authorities to close the bridge to prevent any more traffic on it.

Traffic in and aroun Baltimore is going to be a nightmare for quite a while. The bridge was main conduit for trucks carrying any hazmat materials up and down I-95 which can't use the downtown tunnels. And I would think that the Port of Baltimore will be closed also which shuts down one of the busiest on the east coast.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:19 am

kroxquo wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:42 am
Apparently a mayday was sent in time for authorities to close the bridge to prevent any more traffic on it.

Traffic in and aroun Baltimore is going to be a nightmare for quite a while. The bridge was main conduit for trucks carrying any hazmat materials up and down I-95 which can't use the downtown tunnels. And I would think that the Port of Baltimore will be closed also which shuts down one of the busiest on the east coast.
It will be a logistical mess for some time, for sure. Likely years. Hopefully the government challenges itself like it did during the Space Race to think outside the box to deliver success at an unexpected pace. Perhaps design, engineer, and contruct a new bridge parrallel to this one so the two projects (building the new one and demolishing the old one) can be done simultaneously. Though I suspect, if resources are there, the remenants of the current bridge could be cleared before the engineering work could be completed on a new one. That would free the harbor to resume operations.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:23 pm

My daughter and I drove over that about four years ago. :shock:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:54 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:19 am
It will be a logistical mess for some time, for sure. Likely years. Hopefully the government challenges itself like it did during the Space Race to think outside the box to deliver success at an unexpected pace. Perhaps design, engineer, and contruct a new bridge parrallel to this one so the two projects (building the new one and demolishing the old one) can be done simultaneously. Though I suspect, if resources are there, the remenants of the current bridge could be cleared before the engineering work could be completed on a new one. That would free the harbor to resume operations.
After the 1994 earthquake, when an overpass on the 10 freeway collapsed right in the middle of Los Angeles, they were able to get it up and running again in about 3 months. I understand that the contractor received quite a bonus for coming in well ahead of schedule. I get that bridges are harder than overpasses as well as longer, but this example gives me hope that government can work well and that the repair can be completed much faster than people currently expect. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:06 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:54 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:19 am
After the 1994 earthquake, when an overpass on the 10 freeway collapsed right in the middle of Los Angeles, they were able to get it up and running again in about 3 months. I understand that the contractor received quite a bonus for coming in well ahead of schedule. I get that bridges are harder than overpasses as well as longer, but this example gives me hope that government can work well and that the repair can be completed much faster than people currently expect. --Bob
If they decide to reuse the existing supports (other than the one hit) then it would be much faster but given they are over 40 years old, I doubt that would be acceptible. The gap between land is a little over a mile so a continuous suspension is doable. That will likely be the new design, not leaving anything in the path of any ship to repeat today's disaster.

The Gordy Howe Bridge connecting Detroit to Windsor has a span of "only" 2800 ft. Construction started in 2018 and is not expected to be complete until 2025 (7 years, not counting design and engineering). With all available resources and incentives, Chuck, I think they can build that bridge in 6 note...er.... 6 years.
~~ Thomas Jefferson