Who Is This Alex Murdaugh?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Who Is This Alex Murdaugh?

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:23 pm

We're now getting gavel-to-gavel coverage of his testimony and front page news reports about him. As far as I can tell, he's some obscure attorney who probably killed his wife and son, but they're acting like it's the governor of the state on trial. There have been several recent murder trials here in Atlanta that have been just or even more salacious but they get limited local attention and almost no coverage outside the state.

I wonder what this means if and when Donald Trump and associates go on trial here in Georgia. For what it's worth, Georgia laws on TV coverage of trials are very liberal, so you can expect almost non-stop broadcasts from the courtroom.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

Re: Who Is This Alex Murdaugh?

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:30 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:23 pm
We're now getting gavel-to-gavel coverage of his testimony and front page news reports about him. As far as I can tell, he's some obscure attorney who probably killed his wife and son, but they're acting like it's the governor of the state on trial. There have been several recent murder trials here in Atlanta that have been just or even more salacious but they get limited local attention and almost no coverage outside the state.

I wonder what this means if and when Donald Trump and associates go on trial here in Georgia. For what it's worth, Georgia laws on TV coverage of trials are very liberal, so you can expect almost non-stop broadcasts from the courtroom.
Looks like fodder for a Greg Iles book.

Good job working Trump's name into your post! First tingle of the day for you?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:45 pm

We've been watching throughout. Sucks ya in. I would hate to be on jury.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:00 pm

Also, Law and Crime network on youtube is best to watch.
Oh, the story is interesting cause it has gruesome needless murder, historical SC family, destruction of law firm, drugs, lies and lies and lies, etc. Hope prosecution ties up timeline and bluetarp.
Thinking he'll be jailed forever for money shit anyway.
My gut is he did it but timeline is weird. He's a sociopath fer sure.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:13 pm

He wasn't an obscure attorney. He was a mover and shaker. Look at all the cases of truly obscure people that dominated the TV news.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#6 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:50 pm

Biden Donor
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:11 pm

Guilty on all counts.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:28 pm

There ya go!
Well, then

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:04 am

As far as I can tell, he's some obscure attorney who probably killed his wife and son, but they're acting like it's the governor of the state on trial.
Since you apparently are no longer capable of doing your own research, here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murdaugh_family

This family has ruled those 5 counties for 3 generations. Their stories have been featured on "Dateline," "20/20" and "48 Hours," well before the trial even started. The sketchy circumstances surrounding the boat accident made national news, even moreso once it became known what kind of preferential treatment the son got. I first heard of them upon the death of the housekeeper and the name was imprinted a year later after the boat accident shenanigans.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:25 am

My lawyer in South Carolina was betting on a hung jury.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:22 am

Estonut wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:04 am
As far as I can tell, he's some obscure attorney who probably killed his wife and son, but they're acting like it's the governor of the state on trial.
Since you apparently are no longer capable of doing your own research, here you go:

This family has ruled those 5 counties for 3 generations. Their stories have been featured on "Dateline," "20/20" and "48 Hours," well before the trial even started. The sketchy circumstances surrounding the boat accident made national news, even moreso once it became known what kind of preferential treatment the son got. I first heard of them upon the death of the housekeeper and the name was imprinted a year later after the boat accident shenanigans.
C'mon, man, be fair - he couldn't find a way to tie it to Trump, so why bother?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:24 am

The judge didn't mention life without parole, so I don't know if that's a permissible sentence in South Carolina and the judge decided against it, or if it's not a valid sentence in that state. He did say the two sentences (for both murders) were consecutive.

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:08 am

Estonut wrote:

Congratulations. You spend more time watching true crime shows than I do.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:36 pm

Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:08 am
Estonut wrote:

You probably haven't heard of Bryan Kohlberger either.
Well, then

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:38 pm

Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:08 am
Estonut wrote:

I didn't say I watched them. I am aware of them. I also watch the news fairly often. Your lack of awareness does not make this a story about an "obscure attorney."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:51 pm

In a locally infamous case, the jury was hung.

The jury could not reach a verdict for Christopher Clements, the man charged in a child kidnapping and murder that dates to 2012. The child's remains were not discovered until 2017.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#17 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:37 am

Thought I would post this here. The article is pretty good for an out of state paper. Fun Fact: The Colleton County Courthouse and the Williamsburg County Courthouse are almost identical and were designed by Robert Mills. https://nypost.com/2023/03/04/murdaugh- ... the-bench/
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:57 pm

Murdaugh was sentenced today to an additional 27 years in prison after pleading guilty two dozen state financial crimes. That sentence will be independent of the life without parole he's serving for murder. He'll have to serve at least 85% of the sentence on the state crimes (23 years) before being eligible for parole there. The only way this would come into play would be if he's successful in appealing his murder conviction.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/28/us/alex- ... index.html

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:07 am

Alex Murdaugh was sentenced today to an additional 40 years in federal court for various federal financial crimes. Last year, he pled guilty to 22 charges including conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud, wire fraud, bank fraud, and money laundering. This sentence is in addition to the 27 year sentence he received for state financial crimes and the two consecutive life sentences for murder.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/01/us/alex- ... index.html