RIP Charlie Daniels

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

RIP Charlie Daniels

#1 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:37 am

Songwriter and musician, best known for "The Devil Went Down To Georgia." Had a stroke this morning and died as a result. Age 83.

My personal favorite song of his was "Uneasy Rider," in which an out-of-towner longhair (remember, this was about 1973 when most country folks kept it short) had car troubles, stopped in a honky tonk, and mayhem ensued. Best line -- "The last thing I wanted to do was get in a fight / in Jackson Mississippi on a Saturday night." I was in the club that inspired the song with some frat brothers when I was at Alabama, and it wasn't far from the truth -- we bailed when we smelled trouble, and had gotten about three miles away when a series of police cars, sirens running, were heading in the direction of the club.

https://www.al.com/life/2020/07/charlie ... ge-83.html
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: RIP Charlie Daniels

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:42 pm

He was much loved in Southwest Colorado:

Daniels owned a home in the La Plata Canyon area, where he typically spent a couple of months each year after Christmas. He enjoyed socializing, snowmobiling and playing an occasional gig in the Durango area.

“He loved being in Durango,” said Jim Foster, a local friend. “He just was one of the most generous people you could imagine, both with his time and giving gifts to people that he liked. He was always a lot of laughs when we could get together. He’ll be sorely missed by me and by many others in town.”
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller