George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#26 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 31, 2020 3:59 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:13 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:43 pm
What is it that you, sss, bobs, want out of all this? What are you gonna do to remove bad cops?
What are you gonna do to stop people from burning their own peeps' businesses?
What are you gonna do about peeps who kill random people? Just because they're nihilist?

You are mouths.
We're all mouths. Haven't you noticed? That's what we do here. So unless you've got a solution up your sleeve, you're as much a mouth as anybody else.
Sanctimonious mouths. My bad.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#27 Post by Bob Juch » Sun May 31, 2020 6:13 pm

In Camden, New Jersey, Police Officers Marched Peacefully With Protesters, Even BBQ’d Together

http://www.shorenewsnetwork.com/2020/05 ... -together/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#28 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 am

Our building was vandalized on Saturday night, I learned this morning. The windows at ground level were broken (it's pretty much all glass at that level), and there was some vandalism on the ground floor and a TV was stolen. The gate to the parking garage was also broken. However, no one went upstairs, so the offices, including ours, were untouched. Not surprisingly, we've all been told to stay home for the foreseeable future until things calm down. People who had made appointments to claim prizes are being notified to reschedule. I'm guessing that there are a bunch of other businesses in downtown Atlanta that are telling people to stay home as well.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#29 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:26 am

George Zimmerman Arrested In Atlanta On DUI Charges

It happened Friday night. He probably got to spend time in the same holding tank with people who were arrested during the protests. I'm not sure if they wore masks or practiced social distancing. I've gotten in trouble once before for commenting on situations like this so I won't say anything more.

silverscreenselect

#30 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:37 am

Joe Biden 5/31/20 wrote:We are a nation in pain, but we must not allow this pain to destroy us. We are a nation enraged, but we cannot allow our rage to consume us. We are a nation exhausted, but we will not allow our exhaustion to defeat us. The only way to bear this pain is to turn all that anguish to purpose.
Donald Trump 6/1/20 wrote:You [state governors and mayors] have to dominate, if you don’t dominate you’re wasting your time. They’re going to run over you, you’re going to look like a bunch of jerks. You have to dominate. You’ve got to arrest people, you have to track people, you have to put them in jail for 10 years and you’ll never see this stuff again. You’re making a mistake because you're making yourselves look like fools. And some have done a great job. But a lot of you, it’s not – it’s not a great day for our country.
That last statement is one of the few with which I agree.

silverscreenselect

#31 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:09 am

Donald Trump learned from the best:
Donald Trump 1990 wrote:When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak … as being spit on by the rest of the world—
Donald Trump 6/1/20 wrote: we are ending the riots and lawlessness that has spread throughout our country. We will end it now. Today I have strongly recommended to every governor to deploy the National Guard in sufficient numbers that we dominate the streets, mayors and governors must establish an overwhelming law enforcement presence until the violence has been quelled... If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them. I am also taking swift and decisive action to protect our great capital Washington, D.C. What happened in this city last night was a total disgrace. As we speak, I am dispatching thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers, military personnel, and law enforcement officers to stop the rioting, looting, vandalism, assaults, and the wanton destruction of property.

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:56 pm

Derek Chauvin has now been charged with second-degree murder and the other three officers on the scene were charged with aiding and abetting. Both second-degree murder and aiding and abetting are punishable by up to 40 years in prison.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/georg ... index.html

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#33 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:37 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:56 pm
Derek Chauvin has now been charged with second-degree murder and the other three officers on the scene were charged with aiding and abetting. Both second-degree murder and aiding and abetting are punishable by up to 40 years in prison.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/georg ... index.html
Excellent.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#34 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:58 pm

George Floyd tested positive for coronavirus, but it had nothing to do with his death, autopsy shows

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/health/g ... index.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#35 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 pm

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, I haven't heard any follow-up on them working together. Have their former coworkers been interviewed as to whether there was animosity between them?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#36 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:17 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:09 pm
Getting back to the original topic of this thread, I haven't heard any follow-up on them working together. Have their former coworkers been interviewed as to whether there was animosity between them?
The one story I saw on the subject said that they probably never encountered one another. One of them worked outside, the other inside. One of them worked weekends, the other weeknights. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#37 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:40 pm

According to his autopsy, George Floyd was positive for the coronavirus. Ex-officer Chauvin may soon provide us with an example of the consequences of the failure to practice social distancing.

Bob Juch

#38 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:17 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
The one story I saw on the subject said that they probably never encountered one another. One of them worked outside, the other inside. One of them worked weekends, the other weeknights. --Bob
As a lawyer, you'd want confirmation of that, of course.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#39 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:09 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:17 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
As a lawyer, you'd want confirmation of that, of course.
If I were a lawyer for the family or for Chauvin, sure. But I'm not, and in the larger context of police brutality and racism, it's at most a detail of tertiary importance. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#40 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:06 pm

White House economic advisor Peter Navarro 6/7/20 wrote:Yesterday, going to and from work, what I saw is many peaceful protesters but there were a lot of bad hombres out there as well ready to riot... Let me do a little math, a little arson and looter math. When you have an arsonist burn down a small business, that's 100 jobs you've destroyed. Not just inside the enterprise but along the supply chain. When you have a pack of animals go in and loot a big store, that's thousands of jobs. And if you add that up over the 16 major metropolitan areas where the national guard has had to be deployed, that's almost 2 million jobs that are being impacted.
So here's the next Trump line of attack. (1) Trot out the old reliable "bad hombre" and "pack of animals" dog whistles and (2) Be prepared to blame any future disappointing jobs figures on the protests and the "two million" jobs that were "impacted."

Bob Juch

#41 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:20 pm

From Quora, an answer by Carlet Langford:

How do you think Derek Chauvin (cop that killed George Floyd) feels about the massive uproar in the BLM movement he caused?
I hope he’s terrified.

He’s clearly a bully. He’s had 18 complaints lodged against him. And he was a bully in a police department that up until now tolerated it.

He probably, as Craig Weiler stated, thought he would get away with it. After all, he had 18 other people complain and nobody did anything. He thought he would at best get a slap on the wrist if anyone complained.

He may have thought for two minutes after he was told that Floyd died, “Oh my God, what did I do?”

But then the officers who were with him probably told him: “It’s okay, man. We can make a case he was dangerous, I mean, didn’t we all have to hold him down? We clearly thought he was a threat, and we will say exactly that. We can make a case that nobody could know he’d die, that Floyd was playing us when he kept calling out for his mom, kept saying he couldn’t breathe. And hey, those other cops in New York and Ferguson—nothing happened to them when they killed Eric Gardner and Michael Brown. They didn’t go to jail. It took them a while to even lose their jobs. Even George Zimmerman got off when he killed Trayvon Martin and he wasn’t even a cop. Calm down, my brother. We got you. We got this.”

Chauvin then relaxed a bit. Yeah, he thought. We’ve seen this before. And I’ve beaten the rap my own self almost 20 times. Nobody’s gonna do nothing. I might even get my job back after things cool off and the union kicks in and fights for me. And my wife will come back after all that happens. Yeah. It’ll be fine. It’ll all work out.

Then he turned on the TV when he got home. People were playing that tape over and over again, his face clearly in view. News commentators were raking him over the coals. Then it got worse. People all over the nation started protesting. Not just the usual black activists. Everyone, black and white and Hispanic and others of all ages were hitting the pavement. White people were wearing “I Can’t Breathe” t-shirts and holding BLM signs and taking a knee. Even other OFFICERS were taking a knee. Other countries were also protesting. The police station he worked in burned to the ground.

And what? I’m going to be arrested and charged with murder? What the—-

And now, sitting in jail, with the nation convulsed with fury against him and his fellow officers, with the rest of the world protesting and viewing that tape, and hearing that the Attorney General not only upped the charge against him, but also arrested the others and charged THEM, he can’t be sleeping well. His lawyer probably told him the same thing that legal analysts everywhere have been saying: The state has a very good case for murder. Anyone knows kneeling on someone’s neck can kill them—you don’t need a medical degree to know that. And it is not a sanctioned law enforcement method for subduing anyone, particularly since you sat on his neck three minutes after he passed out.

He also has to be afraid of what the other cops will say. They now have their own asses to protect since they are also facing charges. And they didn’t sit on the man’s neck. They weren’t implicated in directly killing Floyd so they have every reason to deliver Chauvin up on a silver platter. Their lawyers are surely telling them the more they can point to Chauvin as the ringleader, the more they can hide convincingly behind the “I was following orders” excuse, the better off they will be. The DA might not be as hard on them. What in God’s name are they telling their lawyers? Telling the DA?

And he knows if convicted he may never get out of jail. If he beats the rap like the Rodney King cops, he will still be in prison. He will never have a normal life. He will not be just another failed cop. If he gets out of prison, getting a decent job will be impossible. He will be fighting off lawsuits for a long time. His life could be in danger.

He will be the reason the US changed its attitude toward cops like him. He will be the reason white people finally realize black people were telling the truth about the cops after all and are now aligning themselves with a movement that was demonized not long ago with the possibility of those white people delivering an electoral shock in the fall so massive that it could upend US politics for years to come. He will be the reason the “law and order” mentality will come to an end as a political tool. He will be the reason police practices and immunity against abusing citizens will radically change. His face and his picture kneeling on Floyd’s neck will be a rebuttal to all that would now mock Colin Keapernick and BLM—they were dead right, and the world knows it now.

His face will be everywhere, his name will be everywhere. For all the wrong reasons.

Yeah.

I hope he is as scared shitless and as bereft of hope as George Floyd was when he begged for his mother and said he couldn’t breathe.

Only it will be more than a nine minute nightmare for Chauvin.

silverscreenselect

#42 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:25 am

Donald Trump 6/9/20 wrote:Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?
Let's see. A 75-year-old man stumbles when pushed by a much younger policeman and falls awkwardly, hitting his head. I guess he had one of those fake Hollywood blood packs ready for this exact occasion. He probably also used that blackout equipment to cause the police to walk right over him without noticing. There's no lengths that those Antifa provocateurs won't go through to get innocent police in trouble.

You expect this sort of looniness from Flock and the rest of the Breitbart crowd. But it's coming from the President of the United States.

Bob Juch

#43 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:25 am
Donald Trump 6/9/20 wrote:Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?
Let's see. A 75-year-old man stumbles when pushed by a much younger policeman and falls awkwardly, hitting his head. I guess he had one of those fake Hollywood blood packs ready for this exact occasion. He probably also used that blackout equipment to cause the police to walk right over him without noticing. There's no lengths that those Antifa provocateurs won't go through to get innocent police in trouble.

You expect this sort of looniness from Flock and the rest of the Breitbart crowd. But it's coming from the President of the United States.
At least NBC is calling total bullshit on this instead of being "fair."

Bob Juch

#44 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:34 am

Derek Chauvin and George Floyd had history of not getting along, coworker says

Both George Floyd and Derek Chauvin, the ex-police officer charged for Floyd's death, worked together at a nightclub and had a history of not getting along. The owner of the nightclub says Chauvin was afraid and intimidated by black people. Jeff Pegues has the details.

Warning, this plays video immediately: https://www.cbsnews.com/video/derek-cha ... rker-says/

silverscreenselect

#45 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 am

Two updates from the entertainment world:

1) The TV series Cops has been canceled. It was airing on the Paramount Network and a new season was supposed to begin Monday. The episode was pulled from the schedule at the last minute.

2) Gone with the Wind has been removed from the TCM library on the new HBO Max service. This library has about 350 films including classics like Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, and Singing in the Rain. GWTW had been there for about two weeks since the service premiered but was pulled after a protest by John Ridley, who wrote the screenplay for 12 Years a Slave. HBO says it will return GWTW to the site at a future date, along with a feature that discusses the film in its historical context and its role in movie history.

silverscreenselect

#46 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:37 pm

Tensions are up here again in Atlanta after an unarmed black man was shot and killed by police last night. He had apparently fallen asleep in his car at the drive-thru at Wendy's and the police were called. After he (not surprisingly) appeared to be intoxicated, they tried to arrest him and that's where things went bad in a hurry. There was a struggle and they tried to taser him, but he somehow pulled the taser loose and started running away. That's when they shot him. The chief of police resigned today. The officer who shot the victim has also been fired and they are investigating possible criminal charges against the two officers.

The video here (which contains some F-words) shows the struggle. It was taken by another customer from his car, so the car door and window occasionally get in the way. You can hear the shots but can't see the actual shooting. This isn't good for the city of Atlanta right now.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/man ... gIc2Q7ZkJ/

silverscreenselect

#47 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:58 pm

They have released some bodycam footage of the Rayshard Brooks shooting and it doesn't look good at all for the police. Brooks shouldn't have been driving, but the cop never told him he was under arrest. He just said "I don't think you should be driving," put his hand on Brooks's shoulder and told Brooks to put his hands behind him as he started to handcuff Brooks. At that point Brooks panicked and all hell broke loose. When Brooks ran away with the cop's Taser, he turned and appeared to fire or try to fire the Taser at the cop, then turned away again and starting running. That's when he got shot in the back. The cops had been talking to Brooks and administering a field sobriety test for about 20 minutes before the attempted arrest and they never patted him down for a weapon.

I can understand a black man getting scared and panicking when the police abruptly try to handcuff him. That's the state of what happens in these cop/black confrontations. The black man doesn't know what to do that won't result in his getting killed.

Link to article with footage: https://www.ajc.com/news/fallout-from-l ... PhCSzjzhJ/

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#48 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:02 am

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:58 pm
They have released some bodycam footage of the Rayshard Brooks shooting and it doesn't look good at all for the police. Brooks shouldn't have been driving, but the cop never told him he was under arrest. He just said "I don't think you should be driving," put his hand on Brooks's shoulder and told Brooks to put his hands behind him as he started to handcuff Brooks. At that point Brooks panicked and all hell broke loose. When Brooks ran away with the cop's Taser, he turned and appeared to fire or try to fire the Taser at the cop, then turned away again and starting running. That's when he got shot in the back. The cops had been talking to Brooks and administering a field sobriety test for about 20 minutes before the attempted arrest and they never patted him down for a weapon.

I can understand a black man getting scared and panicking when the police abruptly try to handcuff him. That's the state of what happens in these cop/black confrontations. The black man doesn't know what to do that won't result in his getting killed.

Link to article with footage: https://www.ajc.com/news/fallout-from-l ... PhCSzjzhJ/
They did pat him down.

Here's video of the full encounter. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#49 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:07 am

Two updates on the Rayshard Brooks situation:

1) The Georgia General Assembly (our legislature) closed down in mid-March due to the coronavirus. Today is the first day that they are back in session and there are big crowds of protestors in front of the state capitol. Various legislators plan to introduce measures today designed to place additional limits on the police.

2) The decision on whether to bring charges against the cop who shot Brooks has big political overtones. The primary for district attorney (for all practical purposes the only election that matters) in Fulton County was held last week and the incumbent Paul Howard finished second and will be in a runoff with one of his former underlings. There have been charges of corruption and malfeasance against Howard recently, leading to two of his former associates to challenge him last week. If Howard has any hope of holding onto his job, I don't think he can afford not to bring some sort of murder charges in the Brooks case.

silverscreenselect

#50 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 am

Here's footage of a protest in the small town of Bethel, OH, and the counterprotest over the weekend. I think you can tell which group is violent and abusive. And note that none of the counterprotesters are wearing masks, while several are toting assault rifles. You can guess how the police would have reacted to people in the big city protests carrying assault rifles.