George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Message
Author
User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 23281
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 29, 2020 10:52 am

NYT wrote:Minneapolis City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins said George Floyd and fired police officer Derek Chauvin knew each other for many years because they worked security at the same night club. Both men worked at El Nuevo Rodeo on Lake Street before their last encounter.
That makes me wonder if Floyd's death was due to a grudge.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:52 am
NYT wrote:Minneapolis City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins said George Floyd and fired police officer Derek Chauvin knew each other for many years because they worked security at the same night club. Both men worked at El Nuevo Rodeo on Lake Street before their last encounter.
That makes me wonder if Floyd's death was due to a grudge.
That's what we sorta thought.
Oh please.

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19264
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:09 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:20 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:52 am
NYT wrote:Minneapolis City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins said George Floyd and fired police officer Derek Chauvin knew each other for many years because they worked security at the same night club. Both men worked at El Nuevo Rodeo on Lake Street before their last encounter.
That makes me wonder if Floyd's death was due to a grudge.
That's what we sorta thought.
Doesn't explain the three other cops who stood around and watched or held him down during the killing. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:09 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:20 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:52 am

That makes me wonder if Floyd's death was due to a grudge.
That's what we sorta thought.
Doesn't explain the three other cops who stood around and watched or held him down during the killing. --Bob
It doesn't, you're right.
Oh please.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17911
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 29, 2020 6:23 pm

There is a protest that is getting ugly taking place outside CNN Headquarters in downtown Atlanta. I've been working from home for two months now, but my office overlooks Centennial Olympic Park and from our break room I would have a clear view of where this protest is taking place less than a block away. The local TV stations and CNN are covering this, and people have been picking up barricades and trying to smash parked cars with them. There's also some window breaking going on as well.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Estonut
Evil Genius
Posts: 9902
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#6 Post by Estonut » Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:23 pm
There is a protest that is getting ugly taking place outside CNN Headquarters in downtown Atlanta. I've been working from home for two months now, but my office overlooks Centennial Olympic Park and from our break room I would have a clear view of where this protest is taking place less than a block away. The local TV stations and CNN are covering this, and people have been picking up barricades and trying to smash parked cars with them. There's also some window breaking going on as well.
That's a riot, not a protest.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19264
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:27 pm

Estonut wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:23 pm
There is a protest that is getting ugly taking place outside CNN Headquarters in downtown Atlanta. I've been working from home for two months now, but my office overlooks Centennial Olympic Park and from our break room I would have a clear view of where this protest is taking place less than a block away. The local TV stations and CNN are covering this, and people have been picking up barricades and trying to smash parked cars with them. There's also some window breaking going on as well.
That's a riot, not a protest.
Kill enough community members under color of law and the two become indistinguishable. I think we may have reached that point. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Estonut
Evil Genius
Posts: 9902
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#8 Post by Estonut » Sat May 30, 2020 12:02 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:27 pm
Estonut wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:23 pm
There is a protest that is getting ugly taking place outside CNN Headquarters in downtown Atlanta. I've been working from home for two months now, but my office overlooks Centennial Olympic Park and from our break room I would have a clear view of where this protest is taking place less than a block away. The local TV stations and CNN are covering this, and people have been picking up barricades and trying to smash parked cars with them. There's also some window breaking going on as well.
That's a riot, not a protest.
Kill enough community members under color of law and the two become indistinguishable. I think we may have reached that point.
How, exactly, does burning out your neighborhood businesses or your neighbor's car serve as a valid protest of a universally-condemned incident many states away? Would you feel the same way if it were your business or your car on fire?

Have you ever seen a murder investigation and arrest that happened faster than this one?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17911
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 30, 2020 5:06 am

Estonut wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:02 am
Have you ever seen a murder investigation and arrest that happened faster than this one?
That's what especially gruesome video footage of an incident will sometimes do. In the south Georgia Ahmaud Arbery case, nothing happened for two months until video footage of the confrontation became public.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Spock
Posts: 2995
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#10 Post by Spock » Sat May 30, 2020 8:24 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:27 pm
Estonut wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:23 pm
There is a protest that is getting ugly taking place outside CNN Headquarters in downtown Atlanta. I've been working from home for two months now, but my office overlooks Centennial Olympic Park and from our break room I would have a clear view of where this protest is taking place less than a block away. The local TV stations and CNN are covering this, and people have been picking up barricades and trying to smash parked cars with them. There's also some window breaking going on as well.
That's a riot, not a protest.
Kill enough community members under color of law and the two become indistinguishable. I think we may have reached that point. --Bob
I am old enough to remember a time when you guys were (ostensibly) concerned that large gatherings of people would spread the virus. I guess that was so last week-down the memory hole with that. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Apparently, we have now moved on to justifying rioting, looting, arson and the destruction of countless minority-owned small businesses.

Yeah, burning down a black-owned barber shop in north Minneapolis is really a good way to prove your point and achieve justice.

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19264
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Spock wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:24 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:27 pm
Estonut wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm
That's a riot, not a protest.
Kill enough community members under color of law and the two become indistinguishable. I think we may have reached that point. --Bob
I am old enough to remember a time when you guys were (ostensibly) concerned that large gatherings of people would spread the virus. I guess that was so last week-down the memory hole with that. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Apparently, we have now moved on to justifying rioting, looting, arson and the destruction of countless minority-owned small businesses.

Yeah, burning down a black-owned barber shop in north Minneapolis is really a good way to prove your point and achieve justice.
We're seeing "If you see something, say something" morph into "If you see something, do something."

How can we ask people of color to respect or follow the law when it's the law that's killing them? How many black men need to die before a violent response to all this killing becomes reasonable? How many Colin Kaepernicks have to lose their job and get blackballed -- just for kneeling -- before we accord people of color the same right to protest getting killed that we grant to white assholes who open-carry their firearms to protest being asked to wear a mask? How many Rodney Kings have to happen before it becomes reasonable for a community to decide that the current system isn't working for them and will never work?

It's easy for us to preach patience and courtesy. We're not the ones getting killed. We've never had to give our sons "The Talk."

There's a reason Dr. King said, "A riot is the language of the unheard." From Emmett Till to Michael Brown to Eric Garner to Philando Castile to George Floyd to whoever next week's victim will be, it's clear that America hasn't heard a damn thing, at least, not clearly enough to do something about it. So I can understand why tomorrow's potential victims are no longer willing to peacefully await their turn to die with a cop's knee on their neck. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17911
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Spock wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:24 am
I am old enough to remember a time when you guys were (ostensibly) concerned that large gatherings of people would spread the virus. I guess that was so last week-down the memory hole with that. We have always been at war with Eastasia.
I said that I understood why this happened. That doesn't mean that I approved of it, either from a legal standpoint or a health and safety one (although I have seen more masks being worn by people at these protests than at the Ozark pool party).

Ironically, one of the buildings damaged was the State Bar of Georgia headquarters, which is about a block away from CNN headquarters. Street level windows were broken and some graffiti was spray painted near the entrance. (I got an email today from the Bar President telling me and I presume every other lawyer in the state about the vandalism.) That makes me wonder how many other buildings in the area were vandalized. This took place right in the middle of the downtown business district.

About five miles north of there, there was a good bit of looting and vandalism in Buckhead as well. That's a trendy shopping area and one of the places that was hit was Phipps Plaza, which is probably the most upscale mall in the Atlanta area.

But I have to say I got a real chuckle from Spock trying to quote 1984, considering that we have a president who tries to rewrite history on a daily basis, only to get contradicted over and over again by video evidence of his earlier contrary statements on the same subject.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#13 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:43 pm

What is it that you, sss, bobs, want out of all this? What are you gonna do to remove bad cops?
What are you gonna do to stop people from burning their own peeps' businesses?
What are you gonna do about peeps who kill random people? Just because they're nihilist?


You are mouths.
Oh please.

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:46 pm

Yay Atlanta's mayor.
Oh please.

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:03 pm

So how do ya get a big ole crowd assembled in a day?
Great logistics, no,?
Oh please.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17911
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 30, 2020 5:58 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:43 pm
What are you gonna do about peeps who kill random people? Just because they're nihilist?
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said he is aware of unconfirmed reports that gangs of white supremacists are taking advantage of the anarchy unfolding in Minneapolis to create more chaos. The comment came during an early morning press conference Saturday in which Walz, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and members of the law enforcement community laid out plans for containing the destruction that has spread through much of the Twin Cities.

When asked by a reporter if Walz was aware of rumors that white supremacists had joined some of the looting he said based on "my suspicions and what I've seen on this, yes." "It gets worse than that," he added. "The cartels, who are wondering if there was a break in their drug transmissions, are trying to take advantage of the chaos. That's why this situation is on a federal level." Walz added that he is working closely with the federal government to gather intelligence on who is participating in the destruction and whether they belong to organized groups.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/li ... blogHeader

There may be more to this story than first meets the eye.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19264
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:43 pm
What is it that you, sss, bobs, want out of all this? What are you gonna do to remove bad cops?
What are you gonna do to stop people from burning their own peeps' businesses?
What are you gonna do about peeps who kill random people? Just because they're nihilist?


You are mouths.
For starters, stop looking at it as a few bad cops. It's an entire culture that enables them to act as predators. Such as the other cops present who are described as doing nothing. That was inaccurate. They effectively prevented the civilian spectators from intervening as their colleague choked the life out of George Floyd. One start would be for Congress to throttle way, way back on the doctrine of qualified immunity.

If we want to enforce laws requiring people to obey cops more or less unquestioningly, then we have to make sure there are ways to prevent this shit from going on in the moment, not after the fact when it's too late to do anything more than schedule another funeral and maybe parade a cop on a perp walk. And until we demonstrate a collective will to take effective action, the rage isn't going anywhere. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks for corroborating my absolute fatigue with your weak hope to be considered public intellectuals.
Oh please.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17911
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:01 pm
For starters, stop looking at it as a few bad cops. It's an entire culture that enables them to act as predators.
The Arbery case here in Georgia is still fresh in everyone's minds. The father who was arrested had been a police officer and investigator with the Glynn County District Attorney's office (the office originally responsible for prosecuting the case) for over 35 years before retiring. The investigation went nowhere for two months, with some of the investigators saying that they didn't see anything wrong until the video of the incident surfaced. Then the case got turned over to the GBI and an Atlanta area DA's office and now we have three arrests for murder.

This sort of thing goes on a lot. What doesn't happen a lot is that someone is there to film the incident and make it more difficult for police to look the other way and sweep it under the rug. If there had been no video of the George Floyd death, he'd be just as dead, but those cops would still have their jobs and no one would be under arrest. Instead, the matter would be "under investigation" for a while then closed.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:39 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:27 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:01 pm
For starters, stop looking at it as a few bad cops. It's an entire culture that enables them to act as predators.
The Arbery case here in Georgia is still fresh in everyone's minds. The father who was arrested had been a police officer and investigator with the Glynn County District Attorney's office (the office originally responsible for prosecuting the case) for over 35 years before retiring. The investigation went nowhere for two months, with some of the investigators saying that they didn't see anything wrong until the video of the incident surfaced. Then the case got turned over to the GBI and an Atlanta area DA's office and now we have three arrests for murder.

This sort of thing goes on a lot. What doesn't happen a lot is that someone is there to film the incident and make it more difficult for police to look the other way and sweep it under the rug. If there had been no video of the George Floyd death, he'd be just as dead, but those cops would still have their jobs and no one would be under arrest. Instead, the matter would be "under investigation" for a while then closed.
Then get on your local police or whomever and change something, white guy. Sitting on your ass passing judgment accomplishes nothing.
Oh please.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17911
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 30, 2020 6:52 pm

There is a 9:00 curfew in the city of Atlanta tonight. There's no official curfew in Sandy Springs, where I live, just north of the city of Atlanta, but police have advised people to stay indoors. A lot of people showed up at Perimeter Mall, which is about four miles from where I live, during the night. Police said many of the license plates were covered and of those that weren't most were from out of state.

Getting things done is far easier said than done, but publicizing events and keeping them publicized does seem work. It worked here in south Georgia and it's working in Minneapolis. These things are done one step at a time because unless and until we get better people in charge of the various law enforcement agencies, change is very difficult to effect.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:57 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:52 pm
There is a 9:00 curfew in the city of Atlanta tonight. There's no official curfew in Sandy Springs, where I live, just north of the city of Atlanta, but police have advised people to stay indoors. A lot of people showed up at Perimeter Mall, which is about four miles from where I live, during the night. Police said many of the license plates were covered and of those that weren't most were from out of state.

Getting things done is far easier said than done, but publicizing events and keeping them publicized does seem work. It worked here in south Georgia and it's working in Minneapolis. These things are done one step at a time because unless and until we get better people in charge of the various law enforcement agencies, change is very difficult to effect.
What? That was a mushed up statement.
Oh please.

User avatar
franktangredi
Posts: 5955
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#24 Post by franktangredi » Sun May 31, 2020 2:13 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:43 pm
What is it that you, sss, bobs, want out of all this? What are you gonna do to remove bad cops?
What are you gonna do to stop people from burning their own peeps' businesses?
What are you gonna do about peeps who kill random people? Just because they're nihilist?

You are mouths.
We're all mouths. Haven't you noticed? That's what we do here. So unless you've got a solution up your sleeve, you're as much a mouth as anybody else.

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19264
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: George Floyd and Derek Chauvin worked together for many years

#25 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 31, 2020 3:24 pm

For starters, we can elect a lot more cops like this guy. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply