RIP Astrid Kirchherr

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

RIP Astrid Kirchherr

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:32 pm

An important player in the Beatles story. She was engaged to original Beatles bassist Stu Sutcliffe, took the first professional photos of the band, and cut Sutcliffe's hair into what would soon become their iconic hairstyle. Her companion on the night she met the group was her friend Klaus Voorman, who later would design the cover of Revolver and play bass on numerous solo Beatles albums.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... t-1000677/
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: RIP Astrid Kirchherr

#2 Post by Estonut » Fri May 15, 2020 5:51 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:32 pm
An important player in the Beatles story. She was engaged to original Beatles bassist Stu Sutcliffe, took the first professional photos of the band, and cut Sutcliffe's hair into what would soon become their iconic hairstyle. Her companion on the night she met the group was her friend Klaus Voorman, who later would design the cover of Revolver and play bass on numerous solo Beatles albums.

I was aware of both Astrid and Klaus, but did not know how close their ties to the Beatles were until I saw them portrayed in "Backbeat," the excellent musical. I also remember Klaus Voorman being introduced on one of their live albums, most likely George's "The Concert for Bangladesh."

RIP, Astrid.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: RIP Astrid Kirchherr

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:20 pm

Estonut wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:51 pm
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:32 pm

I was aware of both Astrid and Klaus, but did not know how close their ties to the Beatles were until I saw them portrayed in "Backbeat," the excellent musical. I also remember Klaus Voorman being introduced on one of their live albums, most likely George's "The Concert for Bangladesh."

RIP, Astrid.
Klaus was also the bassist on another live solo Beatle album, Lennon's "Live Peace in Toronto", the quickly assembled band that also included Eric Clapton and future Yes drummer Alan White, but I'm sure you're correct about where the introduction you remember came from. It referred to Klaus as "someone you've heard about but never seen", or something to that effect.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck