Transcript 5/14/2020 - Dr. Phil McGraw

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

Transcript 5/14/2020 - Dr. Phil McGraw

#1 Post by earendel » Fri May 15, 2020 12:57 pm

Dr. Phil McGraw

Dr. Phil is suffering from the fear of forgetting everything he knows. He's a big fan of the show. He's playing for his wife's charity so he'll have to make up the difference. The charity is When Georgia Smiled, devoted to the fight against sexual assault and domestic violence, sponsoring shelters where victims can go and find a safe place. His +1 is Pam Mueller, another Jeopardy! champion.

$100: If someone says "nature calls" and then leaves the room, where are they likely going?
A - to the bathroom
B - to the attic
C - to the kitchen
D - to Yosemite
Spoiler
Answer: A (to the bathroom)
$200: The word "multi-platinum" is commonly used to indicate someone's success as a what?
A - chef
B - musician
C - travel agent
D - surgeon
Spoiler
Answer: B (musician)
$300: As a boy, George Washington is said to have made the famous statement "I cannot" do what?
A - tell a lie
B - go to sleep
C - find my way
D - tie my shoes
Spoiler
Answer: A (tell a lie)
$500: In American Sign Language, clenching an open fist twice as if grabbing an udder is the sign for what?
A - soda
B - milk
C - orange juice
D - champagne

Dr. Phil asks how one could have an "open fist" and clench it. It's either open or closed.
Spoiler
Answer: B (milk)
$1000: Three months is approximately what percentage of a year?
A - 10%
B - 15%
C - 20%
D - 25%
Spoiler
Answer: D (25%)
commercial break

$2000: Organizational expert Marie Kondo encourages clients to ask which of these questions while assessing their possessions?
A - Does this trigger delight?
B - Does this invoke cheer?
C - Does this spark joy?
D - Does this arouse pleasure?

Jimmy asks if Dr. Phil watches the show. "There's a show?" he asks. Pam says "I've got your back on this one." Dr. Phil says these are synonyms. Jimmy says, "You're missing the point. What's her catchphrase?" Dr. Phil asks Pam, who tells him. Dr. Phil says there's no way to reason this out, so he'll have to trust Pam.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Does this spark joy?)
$4000: In its online store, what satirical news source offers T-shirts that read "Jesus Is My Health Insurance" and "Stand Back, I Think I Know CPR"?
A - The Onion
B - The Pork Rind
C - The Anchovy
D - The Flaxseed

Dr. Phil asks where the writers come up with these questions. He thinks it's "The Onion". Being from Texas he eats pork rinds. He asks Pam if she knows this, and she does.
Spoiler
Answer: A (The Onion)
$8000: The climactic scene in Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" fetures which of these over-the-top weapons?
A - Gatling gun
B - flamethrower
C - rocket launcher
D - Tomahawk missile

Dr. Phil says that they shot this movie on the street by his house, and he knows that Leonardo deCaprio's character goes into a shed next to the pool and gets a flamethrower.
Spoiler
Answer: B (flamethrower)
The answer is revealed after the commercial break.
commercial break

$16,000: If Jimmy has $1 in dimes and nickels and he has twice as many dimes as nickels, how many nickels does Jimmy have?
A - 2
B - 4
C - 6
D - 8

Dr. Phil says he hates these types of questions. He's just going to ask Pam. She does the calculation and gives him the answer. She says it's "D", but before Dr. Phil can make that his final answer Pam says, "Wait! I was giving you the number of dimes, not nickels." Dr. Phil says the answer must be "B" and does the math to confirm it.
Spoiler
Answer: B (4)
$32,000: Believe it or not, 27 U.S. states lie at least partially north of Canada's southernmost point, which is in what province?
A - Saskatchewan
B - Nova Scotia
C - Ontario
D - Quebec

Pam says that geography is not her strongest subject, but she knows that the border dips down for the Great Lakes, with Windsor, Ontario being across from Detroit, and then the border goes back. She doesn't know where Nova Scotia is but doesn't think it's south of Windsor. Dr. Phil thinks it's far north. He asks Pam if she agrees that "A" and "D" are out of the question; she agrees. His gut tells him it's Quebec but doesn't know if he wants to take the risk.

The screen cuts away to show "5:00 later". Dr. Phil says this could just be a "dip-down" and wonders if they are talking themselves into Quebec. Jimmy jokes that the TV audience is asleep; Dr. Phil replies, "you have an edit button". He won't use his PAF lifeline because "there's no way she could name 27 states in 30 seconds."

The screen cuts away to show "10:00 minutes later". He decides to use his 50:50 lifeline.
Spoiler
"50:50 results": B & C
Jimmy says that's helpful. He and Pam agree to go with "C".
Spoiler
Answer: C (Ontario)
THE HORN!!!
Last edited by earendel on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 5/14/2020 - Dr. Phil McGraw

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2020 2:42 pm

$4000: In its online store, what satirical news source offers T-shirts that read "Jesus Is My Health Insurance" and "Stand Back, I Think I Know CPR"?
A - The Onion
B - The Pork Rind
C - The Anchovy
D - The Flaxseed

Dr. Phil asks where the writers come up with these questions. He thinks it's "The Onion". Being from Texas he eats pork rinds. He asks Pam if she knows this, and she does.
Spoiler
Answer: A (The Onion)
You said you're a fan of the show, Phil. That means you should know that not all of the choices necessarily have to be real things. So which of these (I'd wager) have you definitely heard of, and which are just made up? :roll:

$8000: The climactic scene in Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" fetures which of these over-the-top weapons?
A - Gatling gun
B - flamethrower
C - rocket launcher
D - Tomahawk missile

Dr. Phil says that they shot this movie on the street by his house, and he knows that Leonardo deCaprio's character goes into a shed next to the pool and gets a flamethrower.
Spoiler
Answer: B (flamethrower)
Celebrity contestants are so lucky! Not only do they get guaranteed winnings and loads of bonus lifelines, but they get movie questions involving choices that they actually worked on (like Catherine) or that just happened to be filmed outside his window. :roll:
$16,000: If Jimmy has $1 in dimes and nickels and he has twice as many dimes as nickles, how many nickels does Jimmy have?
A - 2
B - 4
C - 6
D - 8

Dr. Phil says he hates these types of questions. He's just going to ask Pam. She does the calculation and gives him the answer. She says it's "D", but before Dr. Phil can make that his final answer Pam says, "Wait! I was giving you the number of dimes, not nickels." Dr. Phil says the answer must be "B" and does the math to confirm it.
Spoiler
Answer: B (4)
Nice save, Pam, and totally within the rules, this time, since "final answer" had not been uttered. And after some prodding from Pam, Phil realized that he really can do simple mathematics...for $16K. :roll:
$32,000: Believe it or not, 27 U.S. states lile at least partially north of Canada's southernmost point, which is in what province?
A - Saskatchewan
B - Nova Scotia
C - Ontario
D - Quebec

Pam says that geography is not her strongest subject, but she knows that the border dips down for the Great Lakes, with Windsor, Ontario being across from Detroit, and then the border goes back. She doesn't know where Nova Scotia is but doesn't think it's south of Windsor. Dr. Phil thinks it's far north. He asks Pam if she agrees that "A" and "D" are out of the question; she agrees. His gut tells him it's Quebec but doesn't know if he wants to take the risk.

The screen cuts away to show "5:00 later". Dr. Phil says this could just be a "dip-down" and wonders if they are talking themselves into Quebec. Jimmy jokes that the TV audience is asleep; Dr. Phil replies, "you have an edit button". He won't use his PAF lifeline because "there's no way she could name 27 states in 30 seconds."

The screen cuts away to show "10:00 minutes later". He decides to use his 50:50 lifeline.
Spoiler
"50:50 results": B & C
Jimmy says that's helpful. He and Pam agree to go with "C".
Spoiler
Answer: C (Ontario)
The 15 minutes being edited out was entertaining, but I would like to know how Quebec turned out to be the distractor, after they started by ruling out that choice.