Transcript 5/14/2020 - Catherine O'Hara (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

Transcript 5/14/2020 - Catherine O'Hara (carryover)

#1 Post by earendel » Fri May 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Catherine O'Hara

Catherine has the chance to swap out a lifeline, so she decides to give up the 50:50 and use Brad Rutter for one more question. Her rationale is that the 50:50 always chooses the two that the contestant was already debating about.

$64,000: What type of restaurant was being reviewed in a newspaper article that was fittingly titled "All You Need Is Larb"?
A - Mexican
B - Greek
C - Italian
D - Thai

Catherine says she could guess but that would be stupid. Her first instinct is to "Ask the Host". She only thinks she knows it. Jimmy Kimmel doesn't know it, but he doesn't think it's Mexican, and he knows it's not Italian. He thinks it's Thai but he's not 100% certain because he doesn't typically eat Thai food. He advises her to choose "D". That's what she thought it was.
Spoiler
Answer: D (Thai)

Jimmy says that his computer screen says that larb is a meat salad.
$125,000: Which of these popular TV shows is based on the "Villanelle" series of novellas by author Luke Jennings?
A - The Americans
B - Orphan Black
C - Westworld
D - Killing Eve

Catherine "nixes The Americans for some reason." She says she'd better ask Brad, unless he makes a noise that would indicate not to ask him. She asks Brad.
Spoiler
Ask the +1 results: Brad forgot to watch the season finale of "Killing Eve", and Sandra Oh plays the main character, named "Villanelle".
Spoiler
Answer: D (Killing Eve)
commercial break

$250,000: The investigation that resulted in the 2019 college admissions scandal was known internally at the FBI as what?
A - Operation Legally Blonde
B - Operation Animal House
C - Operation Varsity Blues
D - Operation Moneyball

"Varsity Blues seems right," Catherine says. She thinks she knows but she isn't sure so she decides to use her Phone a Friend lifeline. Her PAF is Tom Duffield, a motion picture production designer, who worked on Patriot Days, Hell or High Water, and Ed Wood. He was art director for Bettlejuice also.
Spoiler
Phone a Friend results: Catherine wastes a few seconds greeting Tom, then reads the question and all four answers. He asks her to repeat the answers but before she can finish time runs out.
Catherine told her friend Cindy, who is on the board for the charity Upward Bound House, that she was guaranteed $32,000 but she'd like to win more. She makes "C" her final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Operation Varsity Blues)
commercial break

Catherine and Jimmy discuss more about Upward Bound House and Catherine says that people can donate household goods as well as money.

$500,000: The small Pacific island of Yap is famous for having what unusual form of currency?
A - poisonous snakes
B - giant stone disks
C - chunks of raw diamond
D - fossilized feces
Spoiler
Answer: B (giant stone disks)
Jimmy wonders if anyone outside of Yap would know this answer.
commercial break
Last edited by earendel on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 5/14/2020 - Catherine O'Hara (carryover)

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 15, 2020 1:50 pm

$125,000: Which of these popular TV shows is based on the "Villanelle" series of novellas by author Luke Jennings?
A - The Americans
B - Orphan Black
C - Westworld
D - Killing Eve

Catherine "nixes The Americans for some reason." She says she'd better ask Brad, unless he makes a noise that would indicate not to ask him. She asks Brad.
Let's cheat a little with an extra lifeline to determine whether or not to use a lifeline. Just kidding! But it's for charity, so you're gonna let me cheat a little, aren't you, TPTB? You did that with the "Final Answer" fiasco a couple weeks ago. <grumble>®

At least Brad knew that rules are rules.

And speaking of cheating...
$250,000: The investigation that resulted in the 2019 college admissions scandal was known internally at the FBI as what?
A - Operation Legally Blonde
B - Operation Animal House
C - Operation Varsity Blues
D - Operation Moneyball

"Varsity Blues seems right," Catherine says. She thinks she knows but she isn't sure so she decides to use her Phone a Friend lifeline. Her PAF is Tom Duffield, a motion picture production designer, who worked on Patriot Days, Hell or High Water, and Ed Wood. He was art director for Bettlejuice also.
Spoiler
Phone a Friend results: Catherine wastes a few seconds greeting Tom, then reads the question and all four answers. He asks her to repeat the answers but before she can finish time runs out.
Catherine told her friend Cindy, who is on the board for the charity Upward Bound House, that she was guaranteed $32,000 but she'd like to win more. She makes "C" her final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Operation Varsity Blues)
The story was on the news a lot, but I can't recall them ever mentioning the FBI code name for the investigation. You mean it wasn't "Aunt Becky"? Anyway, good on Catherine for actually taking a risk and answering this question on her own here.
$500,000: The small Pacific island of Yap is famous for having what unusual form of currency?
A - poisonous snakes
B - giant stone disks
C - chunks of raw diamond
D - fossilized feces
Spoiler
Answer: B (giant stone disks)
Jimmy wonders if anyone outside of Yap would know this answer.
Yes, Jimmy, that's why it's "famous". Personally, I thought this was one of the easiest $500K questions ever. I think my knowledge of this fact came from something like Ripley's Believe It Or Not, but according to Wikipedia, there was even an 1954 movie made about the subject, starring Burt Lancaster.

And if this has ever been my $500K question (in a parallel universe far, far removed from this one), I'd have chatted for a while about fossilized feces properly being called coprolites and about their being fairly indistinct and not practical as a store of value, before getting around to my final answer. :P

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Transcript 5/14/2020 - Catherine O'Hara (carryover)

#3 Post by Estonut » Fri May 15, 2020 5:38 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:50 pm
Let's cheat a little with an extra lifeline to determine whether or not to use a lifeline. Just kidding! But it's for charity, so you're gonna let me cheat a little, aren't you, TPTB? You did that with the "Final Answer" fiasco a couple weeks ago. <grumble>®
Or was it a debacle?

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:50 pm
The story was on the news a lot, but I can't recall them ever mentioning the FBI code name for the investigation. You mean it wasn't "Aunt Becky"? Anyway, good on Catherine for actually taking a risk and answering this question on her own here.
It was mentioned here a lot. A quick Google search results in "About 1,680,000 results," so it's not that uncommon.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx