NBC's "The Blacklist" 5/8/20 ep.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarkBarrett

NBC's "The Blacklist" 5/8/20 ep.

#1 Post by MarkBarrett » Sat May 09, 2020 6:39 pm

No, Reddington was not killed. That would require the writers from ABC's The Good Doctor to make that kind of ridiculous move. What the episode did have was Tom "Luke Duke" Wopat as an evil warden, Jordan from MTV's "The Challenge" as a prisoner, and Al Roker not playing himself.

Next week's season finale should be unusual with part of it using graphic-novel style animation.

Bob Juch

Re: NBC's "The Blacklist" 5/8/20 ep.

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Sat May 09, 2020 6:51 pm

Thanks for posting this. My TiVo didn't record it saying there was no signal. It was recording other shows at that time, maybe it was really that all four tuners were busy. I' can watch it online, porting it to my TV.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 09, 2020 7:19 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:39 pm
Next week's season finale should be unusual with part of it using graphic-novel style animation.
Next week's show is the 19th episode of what was supposed to be a 22-episode season. They hadn't finished filming it when they shut down. Since it features Brian Dennehy, who has since died, they wanted to preserve his performance rather than reshoot the episode with a different actor. So, the animation will be used in place of scenes that hadn't yet been filmed, and the remaining three episodes will air next season.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 16, 2020 12:25 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:19 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:39 pm
Next week's show is the 19th episode of what was supposed to be a 22-episode season. They hadn't finished filming it when they shut down. Since it features Brian Dennehy, who has since died, they wanted to preserve his performance rather than reshoot the episode with a different actor. So, the animation will be used in place of scenes that hadn't yet been filmed, and the remaining three episodes will air next season.
The animation wasn't great, but it was interesting. It was graphic novel style, including captions showing what characters were thinking announcing titles like "Act 1." And the animation scenes were scattered throughout the episode because they don't shoot scenes in script order sequence. When they would switch from live action to animation, they would do a dissolve from the live action to the animation.

This episode hadn't been planned as the season finale, but I'm guessing they did a hasty rewrite and inserted a couple of animated scenes at the end to leave off with a typical end-of-season cliffhanger. They filled the remaining time by having the cast talk for a minute or so at the beginning of the episode about how and why they filmed it the way they did, with another similar minute at the end featuring the behind the scenes crew. The biggest disappointment for me was Brian Dennehy's appearance. His character had been shot and was in a coma from an earlier episode, so they had a scene of him lying in bed with Elizabeth talking to him and a couple of other animated similar scenes. Those probably were outtakes with dialogue dubbed in. They did have a tribute card to him in the closing credits.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com