Oscars Change Eligibility Rules

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Oscars Change Eligibility Rules

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:30 am

The MPAA announced several changes in Oscars eligibility for next year. The biggest one involves overall eligibility and the current requirement that a film must play for seven days in a Los Angeles theater to be eligible. Now, if a film had before March 15 announced a theatrical release date but instead goes directly to video, it will be eligible. The biggest beneficiary of that change might be the Trolls World Tour, which could get an animated film nomination. Disney's Artemis Fowl will also debut on Disneyplus and it might be in line for some technical nominations. Once theaters reopen (as of a date yet to be selected), the old rules will go back into effect. However, there will be a wider range of cities, including New York and Atlanta, in which films may play in order to be eligible. Other changes:

-- The two Sound categories will be combined into one overall Sound category (the sound branch of the Oscars requested that change themselves)

-- All members will be eligible to vote on Best International Film instead of a selected jury under the current rules (members must meet minimum viewing requirements, so people who have only seen a popular film like Parasite won't be able to vote simply on that basis). Films that have been officially nominated by their country will be available on an online streaming platform that Academy members can access.

-- Effective in 2021, DVD screeners (and CD screeners for music categories) will be discontinued in favor of the aforementioned streaming platform.

-- To be eligible for Best Score, the soundtrack must comprise at least 60% new music. For sequels and franchise films, the requirement is 80%. The old standard was considerably vaguer, requiring "predominantly" new material. The biggest effect here will be to eliminate a lot of legacy nominations for franchise films that rely on familiar popular themes like the Star Wars and James Bond films.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/new- ... 234591702/

--
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

Re: Oscars Change Eligibility Rules

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:18 am

I sad they're eliminating the DVD screeners. I was hoping to add to my collection.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.