RIP Shirley Knight

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

RIP Shirley Knight

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:50 pm

Two-time Oscar nominated actress who transitioned to cheerful mom and grandma roles later in her career on both movies and TV. Fans of old time TV would probably remember her as the woman who befriends Martin Landau in The Man Who Was Never Born on The Outer Limits while in recent years she was Paul Blart's mother in the Mall Cop movies.

Age 83.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/shirley-kn ... 202914994/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

franktangredi

Re: RIP Shirley Knight

#2 Post by franktangredi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:06 pm

One of my favorites!

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:48 pm

I know she did some films in the 60s, but all I can remember her in is As Good as It Gets.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:48 pm
I know she did some films in the 60s, but all I can remember her in is As Good as It Gets.
Holy crap! I can't believe that came out 22 years ago!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 pm

I had read that Shirley Knight got the As Good As It Gets part when betty White turned it down. She was convinced someone would see the dog get thrown down the garbage chute, and even though he doesn't get hurt, White thought someone would think it was OK to do that.

We just saw Knight last week in The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, in which I think she had the least interesting storyline of the four older ladies. But she might've been the one who gets to yell at Ellen Burstyn in the middle of the road. I know that wasn't Maggie Smith, but the other two, I got mixed up a few times.

I don't actively recommend Y-Ya, but it's not a terrible way to pass a few hours, as long as you don't go into it thinking it is a comedy. I'm sure in the trailers, they promoted the 3-4 funny scenes, but it's on the darker side. There are a lot of European actors in it playing people from Louisiana ... I bet it was a great book and just an OK movie.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

kroxquo

#6 Post by kroxquo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 pm
I had read that Shirley Knight got the As Good As It Gets part when betty White turned it down. She was convinced someone would see the dog get thrown down the garbage chute, and even though he doesn't get hurt, White thought someone would think it was OK to do that.

We just saw Knight last week in The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, in which I think she had the least interesting storyline of the four older ladies. But she might've been the one who gets to yell at Ellen Burstyn in the middle of the road. I know that wasn't Maggie Smith, but the other two, I got mixed up a few times.

I don't actively recommend Y-Ya, but it's not a terrible way to pass a few hours, as long as you don't go into it thinking it is a comedy. I'm sure in the trailers, they promoted the 3-4 funny scenes, but it's on the darker side. There are a lot of European actors in it playing people from Louisiana ... I bet it was a great book and just an OK movie.
The plantation house where they filmed it is only a few miles from here and is open for tours. Interesting place with a good bit of history apart from the movie.

http://www.uncorkduplin.com/buckner-hill-plantation/
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:54 am

kroxquo wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 am
Ritterskoop wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 pm

The plantation house where they filmed it is only a few miles from here and is open for tours. Interesting place with a good bit of history apart from the movie.

http://www.uncorkduplin.com/buckner-hill-plantation/
I couldn't find who built it, but they're probably a cousin. I'm descended from John Buckner (1630–1694), the immigrant, who's my 8th great-grandfather. I have 37 Buckners in my tree but none in North Carolina.