I'm finding WWTBAM with Kimmel..

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

I'm finding WWTBAM with Kimmel..

#1 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:14 pm

mmm, disappointing, so far. Ugh.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

goongas

Re: I'm finding WWTBAM with Kimmel..

#2 Post by goongas » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:24 pm

Yeah, the lack of the audience really kills it. The font I don't like either. I only missed the music question tonight...

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:30 pm

goongas wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:24 pm
Yeah, the lack of the audience really kills it. The font I don't like either. I only missed the music question tonight...
Agreed. This one's Argo
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:38 pm

It's not on for another half hour here. No spoilers, please.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:56 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:38 pm
It's already spoiled. The concept, the lifelines, the inane chatter, etc. all spoil the experience.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

bazodee

#6 Post by bazodee » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:24 am

Bring back the original font!

tlynn78

#7 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:14 am

earendel wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:56 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:38 pm
It's already spoiled. The concept, the lifelines, the inane chatter, etc. all spoil the experience.
Yup.

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:14 am

bazodee wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:24 am
LMAO!

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:04 pm

I liked that they resurrected the Hot Seat. And I like hearing--sort of--the original music again (remixed and muted though it was).

Seeing a celebrity contestant over-emote over every single question, while being given a bonus lifeline with the "Ask Your Sidekick" lifeline, plus possibly one more with the opportunity to trade in one of the other lifelines for yet another chat with the sidekick...<grumble>®

And not being able to play the WWTBAM Live game because the stupid app never would download to my Android phone...<grumble>® <grumble>® <grumble>®

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:00 pm

bazodee wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:24 am
Bring back the original everyday people! To heck with celebrities!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Marley:

I haven't even *tried* to download the app yet.

Fellow Androider, I am discouraged.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:55 pm

ghostjmf wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:39 pm
Marley:

I haven't even *tried* to download the app yet.

Fellow Androider, I am discouraged.
Well, why don't you try? I'd like some feedback as to whether it's every Android phone having this problem or if it's some quirk with my particular phone.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:29 pm

I have downloaded it successfully on my Moto G5+. You have to be careful, because there are several version of the same app, mostly for different countries. I tried three different ones before I found the right one.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 pm

I sincerely hope that Marley doesn't watch tonight's show. Nikki Glazer's appearance might make his head explode.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#15 Post by jarnon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:44 am

I've been a loyal fan of Millionaire for two decades, despite changes that made it a weak shadow of the original. For the last couple of years I was a dedicated BBTranscriptTeam member. But last night they jumped the shark. If another BB can stomach this garbage, please take over Wednesday transcribing duties.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:48 am

jarnon wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:44 am
I've been a loyal fan of Millionaire for two decades, despite changes that made it a weak shadow of the original. For the last couple of years I was a dedicated BBTranscriptTeam member. But last night they jumped the shark. If another BB can stomach this garbage, please take over Wednesday transcribing duties.
I'll make sure to watch the recording on my TiVo before dinner. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#17 Post by earendel » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 am

jarnon wrote:
I'll throw myself on that grenade if you truly don't want to do it.

jarnon

#18 Post by jarnon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:29 am

earendel wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 am
jarnon wrote:
I'll throw myself on that grenade if you truly don't want to do it.
Thanks, earendel
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

tlynn78

#19 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:50 am

jarnon wrote:
I didn't watch - if you can stomach revisiting, what happened? \
\
NEVER MIND - found the transcript. Oy.

It's like someone gave three-year olds finger paints and put them in front of the Last Supper. Or like the GoT Season 8 writers took over WWTBAM.

earendel

#20 Post by earendel » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:02 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:50 am
jarnon wrote:
\

It's like someone gave three-year olds finger paints and put them in front of the Last Supper. Or like the GoT Season 8 writers took over WWTBAM.
I added the two questions that jarnon didn't.

tlynn78

#21 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:03 am

earendel wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:02 am
tlynn78 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
\

I added the two questions that jarnon didn't.
Yup - thanks.
t.

jarnon

#22 Post by jarnon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:09 am

tlynn78 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
I didn't watch - if you can stomach revisiting, what happened?
Contestant Nikki Glazer, with the help of her +1 Dr. Drew Pinsky, had to identify a movie with one long continuous shot. They narrowed it down to “1917” and “The Lighthouse” and seemed to be settling on “1917.” Then Nikki blurted out “The Lighthouse, final answer.” It was clearly a slip of the tongue, because Dr. Drew shouted “No no no!” and Nikki screamed “1917 final answer!” They paused for a commercial, and then Jimmy announced that the judges had ruled Nikki could change her answer to “1917.”

I don’t mind different rules for celebrity games, like getting help from your +1 on the first ten questions or guaranteeing a minimum payout to the charity. But when they arbitrarily ignore the rules, especially one that’s been ironclad for twenty years, it doesn’t feel like Millionaire anymore.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Appa23

#23 Post by Appa23 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm

jarnon wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:09 am
tlynn78 wrote:
jarnon wrote:
I didn't watch - if you can stomach revisiting, what happened?
Contestant Nikki Glazer, with the help of her +1 Dr. Drew Pinsky, had to identify a movie with one long continuous shot. They narrowed it down to “1917” and “The Lighthouse” and seemed to be settling on “1917.” Then Nikki blurted out “The Lighthouse, final answer.” It was clearly a slip of the tongue, because Dr. Drew shouted “No no no!” and Nikki screamed “1917 final answer!” They paused for a commercial, and then Jimmy announced that the judges had ruled Nikki could change her answer to “1917.”

I don’t mind different rules for celebrity games, like getting help from your +1 on the first ten questions or guaranteeing a minimum payout to the charity. But when they arbitrarily ignore the rules, especially one that’s been ironclad for twenty years, it doesn’t feel like Millionaire anymore.
I find it interesting that people are viewing this event as the "clutch the pearls", "final straw" moment, keeping in mind that the idea of these shows is for charities to get money. Meanwhile, I do not recall this level of outrage when TPTB decided to give a second chance at the hot seat, and hence another chance to earn money for themselves, to people who couldn't even get past the first five questions. The latter seems like more of a arbitrary violation of the rules of the game, as well as the unwritten rules of game shows. Of course, the latter also helped a few BBs, rather than charities and celebrities.

MarleysGh0st

#24 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:43 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 pm
I sincerely hope that Marley doesn't watch tonight's show. Nikki Glazer's appearance might make his head explode.
I recorded it Wednesday night, then watched it yesterday. The explosion was only metaphorical.

With a loud, verbal component. :evil:

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:59 am

Appa23 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm
I find it interesting that people are viewing this event as the "clutch the pearls", "final straw" moment, keeping in mind that the idea of these shows is for charities to get money.
Fine. ABC has some money they want to give to charity. Why not just hand the check to the celebs, then they can do an hour-long talk show with the host? Why pretend to still be playing what they advertise as "the greatest game show in history" when they've adulterated it beyond recognition? And if they are doing this to be charitable, how does that work in a game show setting? They'll give $1 million to help starving children (or homeless birds or whatever random charity their celeb googles), but if the celeb misses a trivia question, those kids can starve? What kind of evil, heartless business plan is that?
Appa23 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm
Meanwhile, I do not recall this level of outrage when TPTB decided to give a second chance at the hot seat, and hence another chance to earn money for themselves, to people who couldn't even get past the first five questions. The latter seems like more of a arbitrary violation of the rules of the game, as well as the unwritten rules of game shows. Of course, the latter also helped a few BBs, rather than charities and celebrities.
Well, gosh, we just happen to have here an archive of 20 years of our thoughts on this game show. I know I've grumbled about second chance shows, and you're welcome to search the archives if you're interested. I concede I might have toned down my response in those cases, given that a couple BBs benefited from those. I do try not to be total jerk.