I'm finding WWTBAM with Kimmel..

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: I'm finding WWTBAM with Kimmel..

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:04 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:59 am
Appa23 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm
I find it interesting that people are viewing this event as the "clutch the pearls", "final straw" moment, keeping in mind that the idea of these shows is for charities to get money.
Fine. ABC has some money they want to give to charity. Why not just hand the check to the celebs, then they can do an hour-long talk show with the host? Why pretend to still be playing what they advertise as "the greatest game show in history" when they've adulterated it beyond recognition? And if they are doing this to be charitable, how does that work in a game show setting? They'll give $1 million to help starving children (or homeless birds or whatever random charity their celeb googles), but if the celeb misses a trivia question, those kids can starve? What kind of evil, heartless business plan is that?
Appa23 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm
Meanwhile, I do not recall this level of outrage when TPTB decided to give a second chance at the hot seat, and hence another chance to earn money for themselves, to people who couldn't even get past the first five questions. The latter seems like more of a arbitrary violation of the rules of the game, as well as the unwritten rules of game shows. Of course, the latter also helped a few BBs, rather than charities and celebrities.
Well, gosh, we just happen to have here an archive of 20 years of our thoughts on this game show. I know I've grumbled about second chance shows, and you're welcome to search the archives if you're interested. I concede I might have toned down my response in those cases, given that a couple BBs benefited from those. I do try not to be total jerk.

LOL - We can clutch all the pearls we want over the travesty that what was once the most AMAZINGLY AWESOME gameshow, without begrudging charitable donations.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

mrkelley23

#27 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:13 am

I'm trying to be charitable (sic!) and hope that the celeb shows are just a way to introduce the app game, which might be a way around the non-compete that is still in effect. I actually kind of like the app's format, and if they do manage to make it popular enough to pay for itself, it would definitely bring back some of the flavor of the old, everyone's-got-a-shot feel of the old days.

Hopefully they'll move it to a different time once the TV show has finished its run, so I don't have to try to stay up so late.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#28 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:13 am
I'm trying to be charitable (sic!) and hope that the celeb shows are just a way to introduce the app game, which might be a way around the non-compete that is still in effect. I actually kind of like the app's format, and if they do manage to make it popular enough to pay for itself, it would definitely bring back some of the flavor of the old, everyone's-got-a-shot feel of the old days.
Since I still can't get the app to download to my phone, I have to ask: what do you mean about the app paying for itself? Is there a cost to play the game?

bazodee

#29 Post by bazodee » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 am

I roll my eyes a bit, but if this celebrity edition needs to be the precursor of an actual (albeit occasional) return of the real game with real contestants, then so be it and bring it on.

mrkelley23

#30 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:22 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 am
mrkelley23 wrote:
Since I still can't get the app to download to my phone, I have to ask: what do you mean about the app paying for itself? Is there a cost to play the game?
No, there is no cost, other than the data that everyone gives up every time they sign up for an app. What I mean is if they draw enough active players to start selling digital ads or something. HQ is an example of an app that's still trying to find a way to pay for itself, since it frittered away all its players.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#31 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:24 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 am
mrkelley23 wrote:
Try searching the Play Store for Monterosa -- that's the company who made the app, apparently.

MarleysGh0st

#32 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:41 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:24 am
Try searching the Play Store for Monterosa -- that's the company who made the app, apparently.
I've found the link to the correct app (mixed in among all those Millionaire variants and copycats. It just won't start downloading when I click on it (spins forever saying "waiting to download") and there doesn't seem to be anything technical I can do on my Android phone to fix this. I've tried clearing the cache for my Google Play app.

MarleysGh0st

#33 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 am

bazodee wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 am
I roll my eyes a bit, but if this celebrity edition needs to be the precursor of an actual (albeit occasional) return of the real game with real contestants, then so be it and bring it on.
Why should this need to be a precursor to the real game? Regis didn't need to start with celebrity contestants.

This is just another sign that TPTB still think that "celebs" make "better" contestants. I don't see any reason for hope that this train wreck will lead to anything better.

Bob Juch

#34 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 am

Only 32K+ played app this week. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

bazodee

#35 Post by bazodee » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 am
bazodee wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 am
Why should this need to be a precursor to the real game? Regis didn't need to start with celebrity contestants.

This is just another sign that TPTB still think that "celebs" make "better" contestants. I don't see any reason for hope that this train wreck will lead to anything better.
It doesn't need to be, but that's the choice TPTB has made. It is easier for them to throw together a celebrity version. If the ratings are good, then... perhaps... we'll see (a) another celebrity edition or (b) real contestants.

goongas

#36 Post by goongas » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:23 pm

On ABC, week two of the Jimmy Kimmel-hosted Millionaire revival came down a good amount from its premiere, which was boosted by the Modern Family finale. Wednesday's edition drew a 0.6 in adults 18-49 and 3.85 million viewers, versus 1.1 and 6.2 million last week.
Unfortunately, the ratings aren't good. Jeopardy! GOAT was doing like 15 million. I don't know why they are airing this at 10:00 PM Eastern. I was surprised as anyone when they announced this. They may be airing this to part to keep the rights to the show.

I think we started out with around 40,000 players on the app this week, HQ had a similar number two hours earlier. I have had apps in the app store, 40K users they are not going to make any money on advertising or anything else. There are ads for ABC stuff before the game, and the host does advertise to watch the show (which is the point of the app). If HQ can't monetize going away 5K a night, ABC is not going to monetize this giving away big prizes.

I was not happy with the reversal, they should have just edited it out of the broadcast if they are going to break their own rules. (There was no one in the audience that would have ratted them out). Standards and Practices doesn't seem to care anymore if they still exist...The celebrities aren't interesting to me. My nostalgia for the original show keeps me watching.

MarleysGh0st

#37 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:09 pm

Breakthrough! I tried deleting all the the data in my Google Play Store app, and that let me download it! :)

So, I've entered my phone number and the PIN that they sent in response to my phone, and I've chosen my screen name. Is it correct that I don't need to come up with a password or anything? Just open the app in time for next Wednesday night's game?

thguy65

#38 Post by thguy65 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:33 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:09 pm
Breakthrough! I tried deleting all the the data in my Google Play Store app, and that let me download it! :)

So, I've entered my phone number and the PIN that they sent in response to my phone, and I've chosen my screen name. Is it correct that I don't need to come up with a password or anything? Just open the app in time for next Wednesday night's game?
Yes, just open the app that night.
Good luck!

- Tim H.

ghostjmf

#39 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:59 pm

I went to Google Play store, downloaded Millionaire Live app, no problem, got told "may not be optimized for your machine", followed various instructions anyway, finally, about 5 minutes after 11:00pm game started &... froze.

I get screen asking for feedback.

Then my lights went out.

Then my lights came back a few minutes later.

But this is a real-time game, it seems.

With confusing new rules.

You can't just start again.

Machine is Android Alcatel tablet, carrier is T-Mobile.

earendel

#40 Post by earendel » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:33 am

I have to say that last night's contestants (except for Nikki) were definitely better - Jane Fonda seemed to take the game much more seriously, and Anthony, although trying to inject humor into the game, didn't overdo it. It's also interesting to note that both Jane and Anthony had +1s who had a background in trivia - one had been a contestant on BAM, J! and The Chase, and the other was a 5-time J! champion and competed in a Tournament of Champions.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#41 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:38 am

earendel wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:33 am
It's also interesting to note that both Jane and Anthony had +1s who had a background in trivia - one had been a contestant on BAM, J! and The Chase, and the other was a 5-time J! champion and competed in a Tournament of Champions.
It makes you wonder how much money could have been won for charity if TPTB had let them play the game. Possibly while inviting Jane and Anthony along as "the most entertaining people they know" to sit behind them and do all the superfluous chit-chat.

MarleysGh0st

#42 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:42 am

So, last night was my first chance to try the new app. I stumbled on holiday question, leaving two lifelines on the table. :( At least I got to experience my heart beating like it hasn't for a long, long time.

But that host sure does talk a lot, though! I understand that she's just filling time while the app compiles the results, but is anybody at all paying the least bit of attention to what she's jabbering about? :roll:

earendel

#43 Post by earendel » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:44 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:42 am
So, last night was my first chance to try the new app. I stumbled on holiday question, leaving two lifelines on the table. :( At least I got to experience my heart beating like it hasn't for a long, long time.

But that host sure does talk a lot, though! I understand that she's just filling time while the app compiles the results, but is anybody at all paying the least bit of attention to what she's jabbering about? :roll:
The same thing happens on HQ Trivia - the host does a lot of talking totally unrelated to the game.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#44 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:12 pm

So, I hear the ratings for this series have been bad and steadily getting worse, but that's not stopping TPTB from repeating all of the first three episodes, all evening long, tonight. :roll:

What's that word you've used before, TPTB? "Overexposure"?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#45 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:40 pm

earendel wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:44 am
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:42 am

The same thing happens on HQ Trivia - the host does a lot of talking totally unrelated to the game.
Ear! Thx for headsup. I had uninstalled so didn't get notification.
Well, then