It Is Hard to Leave the Bored Permanently

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

It Is Hard to Leave the Bored Permanently

#1 Post by Spock » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:13 pm

and I doubt I will be able to stay away permanently.

But the reaction of SSS and the Bob's over the last few days makes it very easy to leave.

I absolutely can't believe what has gone on. I never dreamed anything like this could happen.

One person here wanting to look at the China angle of a disease that started in China did not deserve the treatment I got. It was beyond insulting.

Everybody can read the threads for themselves and decide if I deserved the reaction I got.

I can better put any resources I might have in this area to where it might do some good-Like the Committee on the Present Danger-China

Goodbye (Permanently-I hope)

and SSS and the Bobs can go fuck yourselves and keep performing your endless circle jerks of anti-Trump rants here. I hope it makes you feel better especially as you keep chasing away anybody who might disagree with you.

PS

I am expecting a lot of faux outrage over my response to the Bronx hate crime incident. That faux outrage will be no different than anything that has happened in the last few days. Readers can also decide for themselves if I am allowed that mistake (if it was a mistake) after the endless siege of anti-Spock rants I endured over the last few days.

tlynn78

Re: It Is Hard to Leave the Bored Permanently

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 am

Don't stay gone, Spock. Nothing that little cadre says surprises me at all; i'm rather sickeningly reminded of a 'human centipede' - one of them spews a pile of dung, and the others lap it up, then regurgitate - lather, rinse, repeat. It will probably take until 2025, when the scant possibility exists that the dems may pull their heads out and float a viable candidate, and 'their' side has the presidency, the bored may return to some semblance or normalcy. It's sad what they've turned it into, given that with the current circumstances, one might expect the Bored to be experiencing a bit of a renaissance.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 am

tlynn78 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 am
Don't stay gone, Spock. Nothing that little cadre says surprises me at all; i'm rather sickeningly reminded of a 'human centipede' - one of them spews a pile of dung, and the others lap it up, then regurgitate - lather, rinse, repeat. It will probably take until 2025, when the scant possibility exists that the dems may pull their heads out and float a viable candidate, and 'their' side has the presidency, the bored may return to some semblance or normalcy. It's sad what they've turned it into, given that with the current circumstances, one might expect the Bored to be experiencing a bit of a renaissance.
I'm with Tgirl on this. Given your many varied interests and extensive range of reading, I've always considered you to be one of the more interesting people on the Bored, Spock. Take a break if you must, but please don't disappear forever. Too many good people already have disappeared because of the Repulsives, their self-assessed superiority, and invariably rude bouts of incivility.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:41 am

Please don't go, Spocky.

Even though I don't post a response to everything doesn't mean I don't read things with interest.

As Silver said, your varied reading has inspired me to look at things I might not have. I don't agree with some /much of it, but I looked.

Go if you must but not for good.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#5 Post by frogman042 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 am

I've also been lurking on these threads and have enjoyed reading them.

I think there is a bit of hyperbole and a lack of viewing the arguments from the other side for a lot of the arguments and counter arguments. For example, I saw where you (Sprock) made the claim that the others were holding China 'blameless' - I didn't see that from my reading of the posts. I saw that their responses (from my interpretation) was that of course China's actions were a major factor in causing the severity of this pandemic, but that doesn't mean that the US and its actions don't bear some responsibility as well. I'm not sure you deny that either, but that was not the motivation for the thread and you wanted to concentrate on China's culpability. That's fine, some interpreted that as xenophobic or racist, I'm not sure I agree and I tend to ignore personal attacks and attacks of "true" motivation and prefer discussions on the facts of the matter.

In short, I think a little of compromise goes a long way, a little humility on everyone's part and the avoidance of absolute statements on others beliefs and motivations could improve the content of these threads.

I agree with the others that you should not leave because of this, but I also feel if that it is causing angst then you can either work on maybe the tone of what is being presented if the group is important to you or feel free to take a break as well.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 am

frogman042 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 am
I've also been lurking on these threads and have enjoyed reading them.

I think there is a bit of hyperbole and a lack of viewing the arguments from the other side for a lot of the arguments and counter arguments. For example, I saw where you (Sprock) made the claim that the others were holding China 'blameless' - I didn't see that from my reading of the posts. I saw that their responses (from my interpretation) was that of course China's actions were a major factor in causing the severity of this pandemic, but that doesn't mean that the US and its actions don't bear some responsibility as well. I'm not sure you deny that either, but that was not the motivation for the thread and you wanted to concentrate on China's culpability. That's fine, some interpreted that as xenophobic or racist, I'm not sure I agree and I tend to ignore personal attacks and attacks of "true" motivation and prefer discussions on the facts of the matter.

In short, I think a little of compromise goes a long way, a little humility on everyone's part and the avoidance of absolute statements on others beliefs and motivations could improve the content of these threads.

I agree with the others that you should not leave because of this, but I also feel if that it is causing angst then you can either work on maybe the tone of what is being presented if the group is important to you or feel free to take a break as well.
If there was a REC button, I'd use it here. Froggie has summed up my feelings on the subject quite nicely.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 am

Here's one from the "other side".

The level of vitriol from BOTH sides is/was out of control. Seems like no opinion was able to be posted without the inclusion of a personal insult or two. I realize that passion plays a part in this and fans the flames but it's really gotten ridiculous.

I saw some pretty damn unacceptable dialogue coming from both people whose opinions I agreed with and those with differing ideas. Like a fool I tried to post my feelings on the issues without insulting anyone (well, except the President) and got rewarded by Flock telling me I was wrongheaded and that he would bury me with any argument I made simply because of my anti-Trump bias...as if I couldn't agree or disagree with Trump's actions regardless of personal opinions of the man. Flock's burial threat was at the very least condescending and at worst a bit inflammatory despite his claim that he never made a personal attack on anyone without being attacked first.

Worse than that, a couple others, who I consider friends, have made little comments of the "bless your heart" variety that get across the message loud and clear..."isn't that cute..T-Bone made a little political post". It's also somewhat disheartening that everyone with ideas that register to the left-of-center...I would say mine are SLIGHTLY to the left..are lumped into one big pile and summarily dismissed, usually with a nice kick in the ass. And yes, those on the right also get that treatment from the outspoken Left on this bored.

Spock, I would hope you do not leave. I agree that certain attacks on you were uncalled for and premature. I would also bring up a post you made telling Krox to fuck off, and was not able to find any real justification for that.

IT TAKES TWO TO TANGO, and all I see is both sides dancing and blaming the other for stepping on their feet. I am beyond any hope that civility can return. I tried once to express my opinions and got slapped down for my efforts, so I gave up trying to do so. I should not even post THIS, but I needed to get things off my chest.

I will now return to my role, be a good little T-Bone, and emerge when it's time to play Vandal's next game or wish someone a happy birthday.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:46 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 am
Here's one from the "other side".

The level of vitriol from BOTH sides is/was out of control. Seems like no opinion was able to be posted without the inclusion of a personal insult or two. I realize that passion plays a part in this and fans the flames but it's really gotten ridiculous.

I saw some pretty damn unacceptable dialogue coming from both people whose opinions I agreed with and those with differing ideas. Like a fool I tried to post my feelings on the issues without insulting anyone (well, except the President) and got rewarded by Flock telling me I was wrongheaded and that he would bury me with any argument I made simply because of my anti-Trump bias...as if I couldn't agree or disagree with Trump's actions regardless of personal opinions of the man. Flock's burial threat was at the very least condescending and at worst a bit inflammatory despite his claim that he never made a personal attack on anyone without being attacked first.

Worse than that, a couple others, who I consider friends, have made little comments of the "bless your heart" variety that get across the message loud and clear..."isn't that cute..T-Bone made a little political post". It's also somewhat disheartening that everyone with ideas that register to the left-of-center...I would say mine are SLIGHTLY to the left..are lumped into one big pile and summarily dismissed, usually with a nice kick in the ass. And yes, those on the right also get that treatment from the outspoken Left on this bored.

Spock, I would hope you do not leave. I agree that certain attacks on you were uncalled for and premature. I would also bring up a post you made telling Krox to fuck off, and was not able to find any real justification for that.

IT TAKES TWO TO TANGO, and all I see is both sides dancing and blaming the other for stepping on their feet. I am beyond any hope that civility can return. I tried once to express my opinions and got slapped down for my efforts, so I gave up trying to do so. I should not even post THIS, but I needed to get things off my chest.

I will now return to my role, be a good little T-Bone, and emerge when it's time to play Vandal's next game or wish someone a happy birthday.
"a good little T-Bone" - thanks, Bone-man, now I'm hungry, and that sounds DELISH!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:53 am

I could have tolerated Spock's rants if they had been in just one thread, but not when he spammed the Bored. I have banned people from the Facebook groups I administer for doing the same thing.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:53 am
I could have tolerated Spock's rants if they had been in just one thread, but not when he spammed the Bored. I have banned people from the Facebook groups I administer for doing the same thing.
If you notice most threads, supposedly NONpolitical, have been spammed by your cadre manymanymany times.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:34 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
If you notice most threads, supposedly NONpolitical, have been spammed by your cadre manymanymany times.
None of us created about a dozen threads on the same subject.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:12 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:34 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
None of us created about a dozen threads on the same subject.
Y'all make disparate threads all about the same subject. Give it the fuck up.
Well, then

kroxquo

#13 Post by kroxquo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:24 pm

Spock, I also do not want you to leave, nor did I want Flock to leave. What I would like is civility. I would like to be able to discuss current situations, politics, and anything else without name-calling and vitriol. I would like to think that I have avoided this in my politcal posts. Too often here, disagreement with a view is seen as ignorance or even stupidity. I am a liberal. I am proud to say it. You are conservative and while I disagree with you, I respect your right to be and be proud of it if you want. I have tried to use reason and facts to argue a point. I admitted that the use of the word fascist in the one post was ill-chosen. I was told to fuck off. You and Flock too often attack the messenger and not the message. So do the Bob's and SSS. There is plenty of blame to go around as to "who started it" on both sides.

Bottom line - I hate to see anyone leave this board because of politcal views, regardless of what those views are.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams