RIP Tom Dempsey

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

RIP Tom Dempsey

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Tom Dempsey, whose 63-yard game-winning field goal remained the record for more than 40 years, has died of COVID 19. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: RIP Tom Dempsey

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:16 pm
Tom Dempsey, whose 63-yard game-winning field goal remained the record for more than 40 years, has died of COVID 19. --Bob
I was so sorry to hear that. My clearest memory of it happening was seeing a clip of Alex Karras on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. It went something like this, with a deadpan Karras saying, "And the only reason most of the defense was out there was to get a front row seat for this ridiculous attempt. But then it wasn't so ridiculous." Or something like that. I couldn't find that particular clip just now, maybe it was on a Best of Carson retrospective or something. But it wasn't Carson at his best, it was Karras.

Very sorry to lose Dempsey -- too soon.

Stay healthy, everybody.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller