One Third of Michigan Restaurants Could Close Permanently

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

One Third of Michigan Restaurants Could Close Permanently

#1 Post by Spock » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 am

As I have said before -I recognized the severity of the Wuhan Flu long before most here.

However, I have since moved into the camp of the idea that the hysterical over-reaction is going to cause far more harm. We are killing our small businesses. For example, the local bookstore has to be closed but Amazon can still sell.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... 101188002/

It probably won't be the Applebee's that we lose, but it will be the one location independent interesting restaurant that was somebody's dream that will close.

Spock

Re: One Third of Michigan Restaurants Could Close Permanently

#2 Post by Spock » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:34 am

Oh, and for anyone who might be thinking about opening a small business in the future-they will have to factor in the risk that a hysterical over-reaction to something might cause their business to be shuttered.

It will be much harder for prospective small businesses to get financing.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:34 am
Oh, and for anyone who might be thinking about opening a small business in the future-they will have to factor in the risk that a hysterical over-reaction to something might cause their business to be shuttered.

It will be much harder for prospective small businesses to get financing.
Do you understand that Michigan has the third highest number of reported cases behind New York and New Jersey. Most medical professionals think that it's going to be the next out-of-control hotspot, but you think than reopening restaurants there is a good idea. Even if the governor issued an all-clear order today and some restaurants reopened, how much business do you think they will have? And, how many lawsuits from people who get sick after eating there (my guess is that insurance companies are already busily re-writing and canceling policies to exclude coronavirus claims).

In case anyone has forgotten:
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Spock wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 am
As I have said before -I recognized the severity of the Wuhan Flu long before most here.

However, I have since moved into the camp of the idea that the hysterical over-reaction is going to cause far more harm. We are killing our small businesses. For example, the local bookstore has to be closed but Amazon can still sell.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... 101188002/

It probably won't be the Applebee's that we lose, but it will be the one location independent interesting restaurant that was somebody's dream that will close.
Apparently not. It's still the case that more than half of our nation's deaths from this disease occurred since Sunday. And when we're done reporting today's deaths, it wouldn't surprise me if that date moves to Monday.

That means that, at least with respect to deaths, we still haven't slowed the exponential. (Deaths lag new cases by a couple of weeks, but we don't have remotely close to enough testing to directly measure new cases.) And you really don't seem to have a clue about the consequences of an out-of-control exponential. If you're a praying man, pray that the nation doesn't need to learn those consequences from experience. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson