"The Lives of Others"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

"The Lives of Others"

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 am

Apparently, some are taking this movie about the East German spying system as a model and not a warning.

One funny aspect of this new secret police that is developing here in the US shaming people for being outside is the people who are obviously outside complaining about others being outside.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
https://twitter.com/AsraNomani/status/1 ... 6680740864

>>>" Urge @realDonaldTrump @VP governors:
states must #lockdownAmerica.
I saw this Army enlistee hit up a girl on the steps of Lincoln before returning to his barracks, as tourist PA family pushed stroller."
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
She didn't get treated well in the comments to her twitter post. What was she doing at the Lincoln Memorial?

I think we are starting to see this CS Lewis quote coming to life.

>>>"“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."<<<
Last edited by Spock on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spock

Re: "The Lives of Others"

#2 Post by Spock » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am

For the record-I take second place to no one here in my early recognition of the severity of the virus and I was following it closely when most here were distracted by the shiny bouncing ball of impeachment.

However, I draw the line at keeping people inside. Especially, when it seems that local governments and busybodies are getting to like some of their powers a little too much.

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 am

"You absolutely can go outside, particularly with the people in... your household, go outside and take walks and get on the trails," said Val Arkoosh, chair of the Montgomery County Commissioners and a physician.

Nate Wardle, press secretary for the Pennsylvania Department of Health, said going outside is safe, and being inside all day is not healthy.

Staying cooped up in the house can "really start to affect our mental health," said David Damsker, director of the Bucks County Health Department.

(I've heard that it's also good for physical health to stretch your legs and breathe fresh air.)

Philadelphia Mayor Kenney concurs, as long as you keep your distance from others.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:22 am

Spock wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 am
It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.
People who don't want others getting too close to them are not moral busybodies in a time of the coronavirus. You seem to have difficulty distinguishing between those who want to act as moral arbiters and those who are concerned about the health of themselves, their families, and the first responders who have to treat the idiots who go out and spread the disease.
Last edited by silverscreenselect on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:25 am

jarnon wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 am
Philadelphia Mayor Kenney concurs, as long as you keep your distance from others.
And that's the rub. There have been far too many people going out to parks, beaches, hiking trails, and the like that wind up getting too crowded. Further, when people are exercising, they tend to breathe and sweat more heavily, cough more easily, and in general spread the virus further. That's how so many people got sick as a result of that choir practice a couple of weeks ago.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:46 am

Spock wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 am
Apparently, some are taking this movie about the East German spying system as a model and not a warning.

One funny aspect of this new secret police that is developing here in the US shaming people for being outside is the people who are obviously outside complaining about others being outside.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
https://twitter.com/AsraNomani/status/1 ... 6680740864

>>>" Urge @realDonaldTrump @VP governors:
states must #lockdownAmerica.
I saw this Army enlistee hit up a girl on the steps of Lincoln before returning to his barracks, as tourist PA family pushed stroller."
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
She didn't get treated well in the comments to her twitter post. What was she doing at the Lincoln Memorial?

I think we are starting to see this CS Lewis quote coming to life.

>>>"“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."<<<
I'm sad that you prefer your Robber Baron in Chief to those trying to save lives. :cry:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.