My thoughts on COVID-19

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

My thoughts on COVID-19

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:59 am

When I read about a patient who is infected with two different strains of the coronavirus, I started thinking about the implications of that. Here’s what I came up with:

There are reports from China that people who have recovered from COVID-19 are being reinfected with a worse case. Is that because the new infections are with the different strain, so they haven’t developed an immunity to it?

That might explain why some countries such as Italy have much worse outbreaks than others. The predominant strain is the worst one.

The implication of this is frightening. Does that mean there will be two waves of COVID-19 infections? Just when we think we have it beaten, will the other strain spread?

Is it possible that the virus will mutate to a third or further strain that is also deadly, one that is even worse?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

Re: My thoughts on COVID-19

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:59 am
Is it possible that the virus will mutate to a third or further strain that is also deadly, one that is even worse?
Well, we were able to get rid of smallpox and polio through vaccines, and I'm sure those viruses kept mutating as well. But we didn't have to keep getting smallpox and polio shots every year like the flu shots. And I'm sure that our knowledge of immunology and virology are more advanced today than in the 1950s and 60s when I got my shots. So, at some point we'll be able to head this off, especially considering how we're making this an international top priority.

But I think that what we need is more data in the form of samples from both survivors and victims to see what's present in the body and what antibodies are being produced.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:27 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:59 am
Well, we were able to get rid of smallpox and polio through vaccines, and I'm sure those viruses kept mutating as well. But we didn't have to keep getting smallpox and polio shots every year like the flu shots. And I'm sure that our knowledge of immunology and virology are more advanced today than in the 1950s and 60s when I got my shots. So, at some point we'll be able to head this off, especially considering how we're making this an international top priority.

But I think that what we need is more data in the form of samples from both survivors and victims to see what's present in the body and what antibodies are being produced.
I hope that's the case, but it might be like the flu which requires a vaccine each year.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:28 pm

One of my biggest disappointments was learning that I would not stop getting bad colds just because I've had so many. Apparently the immunization you get from your last cold doesn't last until next year, much less the rest of your life.

But I'm told that my hepatitis A, B, and C shots are good for the rest of my life. I'm confident that will be the case for a COVID-19 vaccine, and I'll get one as soon as it's available.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller