Jill Biden

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
a1mamacat

Jill Biden

#1 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:57 pm

is a total badass!

and probably will rip the non-security people new holes later LOL.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

christie1111
11:11

Re: Jill Biden

#2 Post by christie1111 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 am

Seriously! And where were the security people?

It is funny that someone I didn't even know that was my cousin by marriage ( B-I-L cousin) asked me who was tougher. Me or my twin. Not a contest! I saw her take down a drugged out guy fighting in the middle of the Pali Hwy (60 mph both ways).

I don't think I would take on Jill either.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:05 pm

Yeah, for some reason, the White House hasn't assigned a security detail to either Biden or Sanders yet.

For comparison, Donald Trump and Ben Carson both received Secret Service details on Nov. 5, 2015, a full year before the election.

Wonder what the difference is?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:20 pm

Badass Philly girl.

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:17 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:05 pm
Yeah, for some reason, the White House hasn't assigned a security detail to either Biden or Sanders yet.

For comparison, Donald Trump and Ben Carson both received Secret Service details on Nov. 5, 2015, a full year before the election.

Trump and Carson requested protection and met the guidelines. If USA Today is to be believed, it appears that the Biden campaign did not make a request for coverage until after the incident last night. Automatic coverage only starts 120 days prior to general election.

Also, White House (including Secret Service) doesn't make the call. It is DHS Secretary plus congressional leadership. My guess is that Biden and Sanders now will have coverage. I am not sure that Warren qualifies. (Didn't go back and check requirements for polling et al to qualify as major candidate.)

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:17 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:

Trump and Carson requested protection and met the guidelines. If USA Today is to be believed, it appears that the Biden campaign did not make a request for coverage until after the incident last night. Automatic coverage only starts 120 days prior to general election.

Also, White House (including Secret Service) doesn't make the call. It is DHS Secretary plus congressional leadership. My guess is that Biden and Sanders now will have coverage. I am not sure that Warren qualifies. (Didn't go back and check requirements for polling et al to qualify as major candidate.)
You are correct about Trump and Carson requesting protection -- mostly as a way to complain about Obama again, in Trump's case. You are also correct that automatic coverage doesn't begin until 120 days. In Carson's case, though, it began at the same time as Trump's, and was not requested by him or his campaign -- instead, it was recommended by the Secretary of Homeland Security at the time, presumably in response to credible threats, although I can't find any evidence of this.

I agree with you that they will probably now be offered coverage. I wonder if we had something other than "acting" secretaries if the situation might be different.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:02 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:58 pm
Appa23 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

You are correct about Trump and Carson requesting protection -- mostly as a way to complain about Obama again, in Trump's case. You are also correct that automatic coverage doesn't begin until 120 days. In Carson's case, though, it began at the same time as Trump's, and was not requested by him or his campaign -- instead, it was recommended by the Secretary of Homeland Security at the time, presumably in response to credible threats, although I can't find any evidence of this.

I agree with you that they will probably now be offered coverage. I wonder if we had something other than "acting" secretaries if the situation might be different.
Of course we have "acting" secretaries, we have an "acting" President.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:13 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:02 pm
mrkelley23 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:

No idea why BJ thinks that Carson didn’t make the request. There are a ton of news stories from the time that note Carson’s request.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:23 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:13 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

No idea why BJ thinks that Carson didn’t make the request. There are a ton of news stories from the time that note Carson’s request.
It prolly didn't come up in the first 3 Google hits...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:49 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:13 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

I said nothing about that.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#11 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:26 am

I am the one who said Carson didn't request protection. My source was the original NewsMax article that all the other articles at the time were quoting. If you read THAT article, it says that the Secret Service approached Carson about providing protection well before the official request was made, and that Carson resisted it. He finally became convinced that at least some of the threats against him were credible, and followed protocol by officially requesting protection. But the SS (and presumably DHS was on board) made the original move.

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:22 am

Appa23 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

Now, now, don't go interrupting a good Trump-bashing opportunity with facts. :roll:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire