Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17522
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#151 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 am

The Lovebirds, a comedy with Kumail Nanjiani and Issa Rae that was scheduled to debut at SXSW and then theatrically on April 3, will now be released on Netflix instead (date not yet set). The movie is a spoof of the recent Queen and Slim, which was in theaters last Thanksgiving. As far as I know, this is the first scheduled theatrical release to go directly to a streaming channel instead. However, many current releases, including The Invisible Man, Onward, Bloodshot, and The Hunt are being released this week on Video on Demand at prices around $20. There are also rumors that Fox's The New Mutants may debut on Hulu or Disney+ instead.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17522
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#152 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Senator Rand Paul has tested positive for the coronavirus.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
SpacemanSpiff
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: Richmond VA
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#153 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Last week was a wild ride, and not just because of my tooth. The biggest concern, of course, was the company I work for, and analyzing what potential outcomes could be.

The problem with running apartments complexes is you live and die by rent payments. And if folks don't have money, they can't pay the rent.

Fortunately, we had a very good year last year, and I had convinced the two major owners over a year ago to not throw out as much cash to the limited partners as had been done in the past as quarterly distributions -- I had calculated that under my predecessor, there were distributions usually in excess of 70% of earnings, which explained why deferred maintenance had been, well, deferred so long -- and many of these places needed repairs. As a result, we ended up having a decent amount of cash on hand (and more than a few squeaky wheels, but that's a story for another day).

(The reason always given to justify the distributions is "the partners need it to pay the taxes on their income." Once I had hard numbers, I countered that "no one is in a 70% tax bracket, especially now.")

We finalized our calculations on Friday, and figured that if we only got 50% of our rent payments, we're good for six months. Of course, this means being careful with managing money and expenses, but it does mean that we shouldn't be laying off employees just because we don't have the funds in the near term. Later on I attended a webinar on the Family First law, and now understand how that works, and what impact that would have on our bottom line, so that great unknown is now known.

Given how many folks are going to end up out of work (restaurant workers, beauticians, hotel staff, theater workers, etc.), I feel more than a bit lucky/fortunate/blessed/pick your adjective, both for me and for my co-workers.
#ignorehashtags

User avatar
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator
Posts: 6463
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#154 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:01 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 am
The Lovebirds, a comedy with Kumail Nanjiani and Issa Rae that was scheduled to debut at SXSW and then theatrically on April 3, will now be released on Netflix instead (date not yet set). The movie is a spoof of the recent Queen and Slim, which was in theaters last Thanksgiving. As far as I know, this is the first scheduled theatrical release to go directly to a streaming channel instead. However, many current releases, including The Invisible Man, Onward, Bloodshot, and The Hunt are being released this week on Video on Demand at prices around $20. There are also rumors that Fox's The New Mutants may debut on Hulu or Disney+ instead.
Just read that Disney/Pixar's "Onward" will start streaming on Disney+ on April 3rd. We've had that service since shortly after it began operation.

Thank you Disney. This was one we WOULD'VE gone to the theaters for until things in the world changed.

Also it was announced that Birds of Prey, with its main character Harley Quinn from the Batman universe, will be rushed to Video-on-Demand on Tuesday.


https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/galler ... gh#image=8
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17522
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#155 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:40 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:01 pm
Just read that Disney/Pixar's "Onward" will start streaming on Disney+ on April 3rd. We've had that service since shortly after it began operation.
Ironically, Onward was the one current film that I hadn't gotten to see before the theaters shut down. Looks like I'll have a short wait too.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
SpacemanSpiff
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: Richmond VA
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#156 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:44 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 am
There are also rumors that Fox's The New Mutants may debut on Hulu or Disney+ instead.
This movie has been sitting in the can longer than The Adventures of Pluto Nash. That's all you need to know about it.

I used to collect this comic; it started out good, but with the writers and artists getting overextended (and later replaced), it became a mishmash before too long. From what I saw of the trailers, it looked like they were going after the Bill Sienkiewicz style.
#ignorehashtags

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17522
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#157 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:19 pm

This site will tell you how long your current toilet paper supply will last, based on how often you go, how many sheets you use, and other factors:

https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17522
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#158 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:16 am

Canada became the first country today to announce that it would not send athletes to the Olympic Games scheduled for Tokyo in July if the Games are held this year.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
kroxquo
Posts: 2191
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: On the Road to Kingdom Come
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#159 Post by kroxquo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:36 am

My daughter lives in Austin. Her cubicle-mate tested positive last week and so she and her husband went into a two-week self quarantine. Yesterday, they both developed a fever, dry hacking cough and problems breathing. They are both assuming they have the virus, but in conversation with her, there are only about 1000 test kits for the entire state of Texas and they are reserving them for high risk cases. Since she is 29 and in generally good health, that is not her. This tells me that the number of infections might be considerably higher than anything being reported simply due to the unavailabilty of the tests. They are both hunkering down, although she sounded miserable when I talked to her last night.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 22999
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#160 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:29 am

kroxquo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:36 am
My daughter lives in Austin. Her cubicle-mate tested positive last week and so she and her husband went into a two-week self quarantine. Yesterday, they both developed a fever, dry hacking cough and problems breathing. They are both assuming they have the virus, but in conversation with her, there are only about 1000 test kits for the entire state of Texas and they are reserving them for high risk cases. Since she is 29 and in generally good health, that is not her. This tells me that the number of infections might be considerably higher than anything being reported simply due to the unavailabilty of the tests. They are both hunkering down, although she sounded miserable when I talked to her last night.
Ugh. My best wishes to them. Yes, I'm sure there are many, many, more untested cases.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
Beebs52
Queen of Wack
Posts: 10915
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Location.Location.Location

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#161 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:45 am

Prayers for your family, Krox
Oh please.

User avatar
Effin' Birds
Merry Man
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:10 am
Location: In the effin' wild

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#162 Post by Effin' Birds » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 am

Image

User avatar
earendel
Posts: 12905
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#163 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 am

Effin' Birds wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 am
Image
I agree. Over the weekend our VPN capacity was supposed to be doubled, from 10,000 connections to 20,000. Well, everything was doing well until 11:00 when the system crashed, knocking everyone offline and forcing them to try to connect through the old VPN. Not surprisingly, it's not working well.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

User avatar
Vandal
Director of Promos
Posts: 4359
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Literary Circles
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#164 Post by Vandal » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 am

earendel wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 am
Effin' Birds wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 am
Image
I agree. Over the weekend our VPN capacity was supposed to be doubled, from 10,000 connections to 20,000. Well, everything was doing well until 11:00 when the system crashed, knocking everyone offline and forcing them to try to connect through the old VPN. Not surprisingly, it's not working well.
I'm about to find out, starting tomorrow.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Coming in 2020: The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark

Working on:
Scout's Honor (follow on to The Secret at Haney Field)

Recently finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

User avatar
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator
Posts: 6463
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#165 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:24 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:36 am
My daughter lives in Austin. Her cubicle-mate tested positive last week and so she and her husband went into a two-week self quarantine. Yesterday, they both developed a fever, dry hacking cough and problems breathing. They are both assuming they have the virus, but in conversation with her, there are only about 1000 test kits for the entire state of Texas and they are reserving them for high risk cases. Since she is 29 and in generally good health, that is not her. This tells me that the number of infections might be considerably higher than anything being reported simply due to the unavailabilty of the tests. They are both hunkering down, although she sounded miserable when I talked to her last night.
Wishing them..and you and the rest of your family of course...well, Krox.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19086
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#166 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:30 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:36 am
My daughter lives in Austin. Her cubicle-mate tested positive last week and so she and her husband went into a two-week self quarantine. Yesterday, they both developed a fever, dry hacking cough and problems breathing. They are both assuming they have the virus, but in conversation with her, there are only about 1000 test kits for the entire state of Texas and they are reserving them for high risk cases. Since she is 29 and in generally good health, that is not her. This tells me that the number of infections might be considerably higher than anything being reported simply due to the unavailabilty of the tests. They are both hunkering down, although she sounded miserable when I talked to her last night.
I'm glad they did the responsible thing. Their self-quarantine probably saved a lot of infections.

I hope they weather their illnesses without too much discomfort, and certainly nothing more serious. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19086
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#167 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:52 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:17 pm
Last week was a wild ride, and not just because of my tooth. The biggest concern, of course, was the company I work for, and analyzing what potential outcomes could be.

The problem with running apartments complexes is you live and die by rent payments. And if folks don't have money, they can't pay the rent.

Fortunately, we had a very good year last year, and I had convinced the two major owners over a year ago to not throw out as much cash to the limited partners as had been done in the past as quarterly distributions -- I had calculated that under my predecessor, there were distributions usually in excess of 70% of earnings, which explained why deferred maintenance had been, well, deferred so long -- and many of these places needed repairs. As a result, we ended up having a decent amount of cash on hand (and more than a few squeaky wheels, but that's a story for another day).

(The reason always given to justify the distributions is "the partners need it to pay the taxes on their income." Once I had hard numbers, I countered that "no one is in a 70% tax bracket, especially now.")

We finalized our calculations on Friday, and figured that if we only got 50% of our rent payments, we're good for six months. Of course, this means being careful with managing money and expenses, but it does mean that we shouldn't be laying off employees just because we don't have the funds in the near term. Later on I attended a webinar on the Family First law, and now understand how that works, and what impact that would have on our bottom line, so that great unknown is now known.

Given how many folks are going to end up out of work (restaurant workers, beauticians, hotel staff, theater workers, etc.), I feel more than a bit lucky/fortunate/blessed/pick your adjective, both for me and for my co-workers.
Sounds to me like the decisions you recommended, and your ability to persuade management to implement them, are directly responsible for a whole bunch of your co-workers being able to keep their jobs right now. Well done. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 22999
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#168 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:56 pm

My county (Pima) just reported its first death. The county health department director says he guesses the pandemic will last from six to 18 months. :shock: Maybe people here will finally take this seriously.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

User avatar
SpacemanSpiff
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: Richmond VA
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#169 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:02 am

And now, officially, the IOC is delaying the Tokyo Games one year to 2021.

https://www.richmond.com/news/world/jap ... 62387.html
#ignorehashtags

User avatar
Vandal
Director of Promos
Posts: 4359
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Literary Circles
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#170 Post by Vandal » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Image
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Coming in 2020: The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark

Working on:
Scout's Honor (follow on to The Secret at Haney Field)

Recently finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17522
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#171 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:26 am

According to an article in today's Atlanta Journal, online casinos are taking bets on the day's Jeopardy results. It seems to me that enterprising individuals associated with the show could make out like bandits by doing this. They are also taking bets on the day's final Dow Jones average (the first digit to the right of the decimal point).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
ShamelessWeasel
Posts: 1170
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:41 am
Location: NC

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#172 Post by ShamelessWeasel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:48 am

My company is implementing something I think a lot more companies should consider. 60% of the corporate business is events and conferences which as you can imagine is almost non existent.

They are allowing up to 10% of the work force to take a sabbatical from April through June. While on sabbatical you will receive full benefits and 50% of your pay. When you come back in July your job is guaranteed. For the period of July through September you will continue to be paid 50% of your salary.

This allows the company to reduce cash flow and avoid laying off people while allowing employees who have less work during April through June to take some time off.

Yes you do need to be able to survive on 50% of your salary for 6 months.

User avatar
Vandal
Director of Promos
Posts: 4359
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Literary Circles
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#173 Post by Vandal » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:53 am

Image
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Coming in 2020: The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark

Working on:
Scout's Honor (follow on to The Secret at Haney Field)

Recently finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret


User avatar
Bob Juch
Posts: 22999
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus-Aggregation Thread-Non political

#175 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:29 am

The TV news here says that the majority of COVID-19 cases are for those 18-39 years old. :shock:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Post Reply