Incompetence may have spread the virus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Incompetence may have spread the virus

#151 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:56 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:18 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:40 am
The Administration ran an exercise late last year. They knew we weren't ready. They knew we weren't adequately funded. They knew coordination between agencies was utterly inadequate. And yet Donny dawdled for months, months that could have been used to get the country a lot closer to ready.

Elections have consequences. What we're now living through is one of those consequences. And what we'll see in the next several months is another. --Bob
Maybe if the president were not being impeached by the house at that time, he might have been able to give it more attention. That being said, he did order travel restrictions from china which have saved a lot of lives and delayed the spread during that time that the dems in congress were tied up and 'dawdling' with their impeachment obsession.
Blame, blame, blame. Very helpful, bobby.
It's his fucking job to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. And you want to keep him in charge for the next crisis.

I'm not just blaming Donny. That's like blaming the scorpion for stinging the frog who was ferrying him to safety. I'm blaming you, and the voters like you, who want to keep him around.

And yes, in addition to the obvious ways, the pandemic is now affecting me personally. Shortly after the last time I saw her Monday morning, my girlfriend was potentially exposed. So she's self-isolating for the next two weeks, or until the potential vector of infection gets tested and comes up negative. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#152 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:56 pm
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:18 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:40 am
The Administration ran an exercise late last year. They knew we weren't ready. They knew we weren't adequately funded. They knew coordination between agencies was utterly inadequate. And yet Donny dawdled for months, months that could have been used to get the country a lot closer to ready.

Elections have consequences. What we're now living through is one of those consequences. And what we'll see in the next several months is another. --Bob
Maybe if the president were not being impeached by the house at that time, he might have been able to give it more attention. That being said, he did order travel restrictions from china which have saved a lot of lives and delayed the spread during that time that the dems in congress were tied up and 'dawdling' with their impeachment obsession.
Blame, blame, blame. Very helpful, bobby.
It's his fucking job to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. And you want to keep him in charge for the next crisis.

I'm not just blaming Donny. That's like blaming the scorpion for stinging the frog who was ferrying him to safety. I'm blaming you, and the voters like you, who want to keep him around.

And yes, in addition to the obvious ways, the pandemic is now affecting me personally. Shortly after the last time I saw her Monday morning, my girlfriend was potentially exposed. So she's self-isolating for the next two weeks, or until the potential vector of infection gets tested and comes up negative. --Bob
And you want to elect someone who can't walk and walk at the same time.
You are off-the-scale laughable.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#153 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:43 pm
No, we cannot expect you to change. You need to be obsessed and outraged with trump. Perhaps you can be outraged at something else. China knew about this virus for a long time. They silenced the doctor who first raised an alarm about it, who subsequently died of it. They purposely misreported about it. They kicked out foreign scientists. They are still trying to spread propaganda that it came from american soldiers. Who knows where we would be today if we had known the truth earlier? Do you?

Why, oh why, bobby, are you not enraged and outraged by these facts?
So, instead of getting serious about this disease, which you in particular pooh poohed for weeks on this Bored, you want to engage in some China bashing and Trump defending. You act as if Trump's travel restrictions were a be all and end all. They would have been a good start, if..... he had done anything else about the disease at the same time. Instead, Korea acted and Trump denied and dawdled because he didn't want to hurt the Dow Jones average or his re-election chances.

The worst problem with Trump isn't that he made all those ridiculous statements in the past that you and he are so eager to overlook or excuse because he was too busy dealing with impeachment (or bash Joe Biden for his supposed weakness in this scenario). It's that he CONTINUES TO DO THE SAME THING. He just loves being the "wartime president"; he just doesn't want to act like a wartime president. He engages in more press bashing and making excuses while he delays invoking the Defense Production Act (although he claimed he already had), calling it a last measure and we're not there yet. You can't manufacture and transport ventilators overnight, and the more he screws around, the more people are going to die. Plain and simple. Except for Trump and his apologists like you.

Trump is still Trump; he will never change. The only time he does something is when there is overwhelming pressure on him to do so, and then he claims that it was his idea all along. And you are still you; you will never change despite your big talk about wanting to make a bet a few weeks back. You just find new reasons to excuse Trump and bash Democrats and the media.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#154 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:23 pm

This is from a group called Republicans for the rule of law (an endangered species):

flockofseagulls104

#155 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm
No, we cannot expect you to change. You need to be obsessed and outraged with trump. Perhaps you can be outraged at something else. China knew about this virus for a long time. They silenced the doctor who first raised an alarm about it, who subsequently died of it. They purposely misreported about it. They kicked out foreign scientists. They are still trying to spread propaganda that it came from american soldiers. Who knows where we would be today if we had known the truth earlier? Do you?

So, instead of getting serious about this disease, which you in particular pooh poohed for weeks on this Bored, you want to engage in some China bashing and Trump defending. You act as if Trump's travel restrictions were a be all and end all. They would have been a good start, if..... he had done anything else about the disease at the same time. Instead, Korea acted and Trump denied and dawdled because he didn't want to hurt the Dow Jones average or his re-election chances.

The worst problem with Trump isn't that he made all those ridiculous statements in the past that you and he are so eager to overlook or excuse because he was too busy dealing with impeachment (or bash Joe Biden for his supposed weakness in this scenario). It's that he CONTINUES TO DO THE SAME THING. He just loves being the "wartime president"; he just doesn't want to act like a wartime president. He engages in more press bashing and making excuses while he delays invoking the Defense Production Act (although he claimed he already had), calling it a last measure and we're not there yet. You can't manufacture and transport ventilators overnight, and the more he screws around, the more people are going to die. Plain and simple. Except for Trump and his apologists like you.

Trump is still Trump; he will never change. The only time he does something is when there is overwhelming pressure on him to do so, and then he claims that it was his idea all along. And you are still you; you will never change despite your big talk about wanting to make a bet a few weeks back. You just find new reasons to excuse Trump and bash Democrats and the media.
In related news, the trump apologist and enabler playoffs have been suspended until the crisis is over. I made the finals....
The in the tank trump haters playoffs go on. You are making an outstanding run. Bobby's seeded higher, though.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#156 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 pm

I'm not sure why you're still engaging with flock. We already know he's a liar. He said that if the pandemic really did prove to be a big deal, he wouldn't vote for Donny in 2020. Yet here he is, still defending Donny. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#157 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:46 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 pm

I'm not sure why you're still engaging with flock. We already know he's a liar. He said that if the pandemic really did prove to be a big deal, he wouldn't vote for Donny in 2020. Yet here he is, still defending Donny. --Bob
As far as I know, No vote has taken place. Nothing has changed as per you or the dems. You've only gotten worse and have no qualms anymore about showing your true colors. And you didn't take me up on it anyway did you? No you didn't.
I will honor my commitment, as I said I would. I was wrong about that, as the numbers here were low and I hadn't yet heard what was happening in italy. But you have no reason to even talk about it since you wouldn't commit to anything. Just shows how much lack of character you have.

silverscreenselect

#158 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 pm

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:46 pm
But you have no reason to even talk about it since you wouldn't commit to anything. Just shows how much lack of character you have.
I can't speak for Bob, but I wouldn't "commit" to a bet that by winning, thousands (or more) of people were going to die. Donald Trump committed to the opposite of that bet by doubling down on delay and denial, something that he's continuing until this very day.

flockofseagulls104

#159 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:21 am

Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 pm
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:46 pm
But you have no reason to even talk about it since you wouldn't commit to anything. Just shows how much lack of character you have.
I can't speak for Bob, but I wouldn't "commit" to a bet that by winning, thousands (or more) of people were going to die. Donald Trump committed to the opposite of that bet by doubling down on delay and denial, something that he's continuing until this very day.
No, that's not why. No he's not.

silverscreenselect

#160 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:52 pm

At today's press briefing:
NBC Reporter Peter Alexander wrote:What do you say to Americans who are scared though? I guess, nearly 200 dead, 14,000 who are sick, millions, as you witnessed, who are scared right now. What do you say to Americans who are watching you right now who are scared?
Donald Trump wrote:I say that you’re a terrible reporter. That’s what I say. I think that’s a very nasty question and that's a very bad signal that you're putting out to the American people. The American people are looking for answers and they’re looking for hope, and you’re doing sensationalism and the same with NBC and with Concast. I don't call it Comcast; I call it Concast. That's really bad reporting and you ought to get back to reporting instead of sensationalism.
Translation. Trump gets an easy question (You can just imagine how Obama would have handled this one.) But he's itching for a fight with NBC so he goes off on the reporter. That's the type of leadership we really need in a crisis. Trump can't hold his rallies so he's trying to turn these briefings into rallies for his supporters as he battles both the coronavirus and the press.

silverscreenselect

#161 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Another day. Another press briefing. Another load of Trump lies, excuses, and doubletalk.
Donald Trump wrote:I wish they could have told us earlier about what was going on inside. We didn't know about it until it started coming out publicly.
Wow, a foreign government lies about and hides damaging sensitive information. Of course, that's why we have our own intelligence agencies to make sure we do know what's going on when the host country isn't very forthcoming. I wonder what they had to say about the coronavirus in China
Washington Post wrote:U.S. intelligence agencies were issuing ominous, classified warnings in January and February about the global danger posed by the coronavirus while President Trump and lawmakers played down the threat and failed to take action that might have slowed the spread of the pathogen, according to U.S. officials familiar with spy agency reporting.

The intelligence reports didn’t predict when the virus might land on U.S. shores or recommend particular steps that public health officials should take, issues outside the purview of the intelligence agencies. But they did track the spread of the virus in China, and later in other countries, and warned that Chinese officials appeared to be minimizing the severity of the outbreak.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... nal&wpmk=1

So, all the while that Trump was promoting his happy talk about how the virus wasn't all that serious, he had warnings about the situation in China that he ignored. For the benefit of Flock, I"ll point out that this story did come from the Washington Post, so he can feel good about himself automatically dismissing it as fake news. Except that the fake is increasingly revealed to be Trump every single day.

And let's not forget this little gem. Trump tries to surround himself with bigger idiots than he is, difficult as that may be:
Wilbur Ross 1/30/20 wrote:Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross predicted Thursday morning that a deadly virus originating in China would cause companies to reconsider their global supply chains and ultimately “help to accelerate” the return of jobs to the United States.

“Every American’s heart has to go out to the victims of the coronavirus, so I don’t want to talk about a victory lap over a very unfortunate, very malignant disease,” Mr. Ross said. “But the fact is, it does give businesses yet another thing to consider when they go through their review of their supply chain.” “So I think it will help to accelerate the return of jobs to North America,” Mr. Ross said of the coronavirus. “Some to U.S., probably some to Mexico as well.”

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#162 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:08 pm
Wilbur Ross 1/30/20 wrote:Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross predicted Thursday morning that a deadly virus originating in China would cause companies to reconsider their global supply chains and ultimately “help to accelerate” the return of jobs to the United States.

“Every American’s heart has to go out to the victims of the coronavirus, so I don’t want to talk about a victory lap over a very unfortunate, very malignant disease,” Mr. Ross said. “But the fact is, it does give businesses yet another thing to consider when they go through their review of their supply chain.” “So I think it will help to accelerate the return of jobs to North America,” Mr. Ross said of the coronavirus. “Some to U.S., probably some to Mexico as well.”
That last point tends to lose its force when China is actually more effective at squelching the pandemic than Western democracies. --Bob

Bob Juch

#163 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:51 pm

Obama officials walked Trump aides through global pandemic exercise in 2017: report
The Obama administration walked incoming Trump administration officials through a hypothetical scenario in which a pandemic worse than the 1918 Spanish flu shut down cities like Seoul and London in early 2017, Politico reported.

During the briefing, Trump administration officials were told such a pandemic would likely lead to circumstances such as shortages of ventilators and that a coordinated national response would be “paramount,” according to documents obtained by the publication.

Of the Trump administration officials present during the meeting, about 66 percent no longer serve in the White House, according to Politico.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... se-in-2017
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#164 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:41 pm

It's a good thing FDR didn't have MSLSD to tell everybody how WWII was his fault and criticise his every word. Right now we'd have a real nazi in the white house.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#165 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:41 pm
It's a good thing FDR didn't have MSLSD to tell everybody how WWII was his fault and criticise his every word. Right now we'd have a real nazi in the white house.
Don't know much history, do you? He had an awful lot of isolationists to deal with. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#166 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:19 pm
Don't know much history, do you? He had an awful lot of isolationists to deal with. --Bob
He also involved the US in Lend Lease and other methods of aiding Great Britain despite being officially neutral.

flockofseagulls104

#167 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:32 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Of course, bobby. I know nothing of history. But now that you mention it, you would have made a fantastic isolationist.
And I have another laud to add to my signature.

flockofseagulls104

#168 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
He also involved the US in Lend Lease and other methods of aiding Great Britain despite being officially neutral.
Yeah. And he had a long affair with Lucy Mercer. He didn't bomb the shit out of berlin when adolf came to power. Or moscow when joey took over. It was his incompetance that caused the cold war!!!!! So much in common with trump.

silverscreenselect

#169 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:32 pm
Of course, bobby. I know nothing of history. But now that you mention it, you would have made a fantastic isolationist.
Flock, many people on this Bored say stupid things at times. You attempt to do so with every post and take great pride in that fact.

flockofseagulls104

#170 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:17 am

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:43 pm
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:32 pm
Flock, many people on this Bored say stupid things at times. You attempt to do so with every post and take great pride in that fact.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... hy/608554/
SSS, As I've said many times before, I pretty much only post on this board in response to people like you posting leftist propaganda as truth. Read the article above, which was obviously written by a trump hater based on it's headline. But read what Dr Fauci actually says, which is totally opposite of what the headline implies. We were as prepared for this as well as we could possibly be, and trump did impose travel restrictions from China back when your beloved congress was only interested in impeaching him. He got a lot of flack from your ilk about it, too. All you've done since the seriousness of this has become apparent is look to the past to find things to pin blame on trump with blinders to everything else. As soon as I saw it, I admitted my mistake. Will you stop yours?

silverscreenselect

#171 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:45 am

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:17 am
We were as prepared for this as well as we could possibly be, and trump did impose travel restrictions from China back when your beloved congress was only interested in impeaching him.
We were not "as prepared for this as well as we could possibly be" and Fauci said so. "But, obviously, as you can see [with] what is playing out right now, when you have something with the force of a pandemic, it appears that you are not well prepared."

Yes, Trump did impose travel restrictions from China and I won't even get into the reasoning behind that. But for over a month, THAT'S ALL HE DID. Even though he had intelligence that indicated the situation in China was far worse than the Chinese were letting on, he did nothing but dispense happy talk about how well things were going. Even when the Dow started tanking, all we did was cut interest rates.

Contrast this with what South Korea did, a country that had its first case on the same day that the US did. The difference is night and day. Still, Trump whines about how we couldn't have known (this is when he's not saying that he had a feeling this would be a pandemic months ago), the facts are he did know and he could have done more. Instead, he engaged in happy talk. And his response (and the response of enablers like you is that the Chinese lied to us so it's all their fault). Yes, the Chinese lied and are probably still lying but they did take measures that are probably harsher than what we realistically can take in this country. But blaming them accomplishes nothing other than to stir up more xenophobic outrage among Trump's true believers (and continuing to call this the Chinese or Wuhan virus has resulted in death threats against people in this country of Asian descent, regardless of their country of origin).

Worst of all, Trump still continues to do all the crap he's been doing for three years and he still continues to dither rather than take action involving the Defense Production Act that could save lives.

silverscreenselect

#172 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:46 am

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:45 am
We were as prepared for this as well as we could possibly be, and trump did impose travel restrictions from China back when your beloved congress was only interested in impeaching him.
We were not "as prepared for this as well as we could possibly be" and Fauci said so. "But, obviously, as you can see [with] what is playing out right now, when you have something with the force of a pandemic, it appears that you are not well prepared."

Yes, Trump did impose travel restrictions from China and I won't even get into the reasoning behind that. But for over a month, THAT'S ALL HE DID. Even though he had intelligence that indicated the situation in China was far worse than the Chinese were letting on, he did nothing but dispense happy talk about how well things were going. Even when the Dow started tanking, all we did was cut interest rates.

Contrast this with what South Korea did, a country that had its first case on the same day that the US did. The difference is night and day. Still, Trump whines about how we couldn't have known (this is when he's not saying that he had a feeling this would be a pandemic months ago), the facts are he did know and he could have done more. Instead, he engaged in happy talk. And his response (and the response of enablers like you is that the Chinese lied to us so it's all their fault). Yes, the Chinese lied and are probably still lying but they did take measures that are probably harsher than what we realistically can take in this country. But blaming them accomplishes nothing other than to stir up more xenophobic outrage among Trump's true believers (and continuing to call this the Chinese or Wuhan virus has resulted in death threats against people in this country of Asian descent, regardless of their country of origin).

Worst of all, Trump still continues to do all the crap he's been doing for three years, he treats these press briefings as substitutes for campaign rallies that allow him to bash the press and talk about what a great job he's done, while he still continues to dither rather than take action involving the Defense Production Act that could save lives.

flockofseagulls104

#173 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:45 am

Worst of all, Trump still continues to do all the crap he's been doing for three years and he still continues to dither rather than take action involving the Defense Production Act that could save lives.
Didn't think you would..

silverscreenselect

#174 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:38 pm

I admitted my mistake. Will you stop yours?
Flock, if you admitted all your mistakes, you'd be posting about them from now till doomsday. I have admitted a number of mine on this Bored. If you mean will I give Trump a magical pass because he's screwing up in a genuine crisis rather than a mess totally of his own making like he's done for the last three years, then there's nothing for me to admit.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#175 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:06 pm

As soon as I saw it, I admitted my mistake.
Bullshit. No one who thinks Donny has done everything he could to prevent or mitigate this crisis has admitted the most crucial mistake of all.

This crisis won't be over by January. Not even close. It won't be over until we have a vaccine, and if we're lucky, that will happen next summer. So we are right now in the process of choosing the person who will lead the country through roughly the second half of the crisis.

And anyone who thinks that Donny's performance on this front has been remotely competent, much less so competent that he deserves to continue leading the country through the greatest crisis of the century to date, hasn't admitted a damn thing that counts. --Bob