Repub contender!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Repub contender!

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:21 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoltan_Istvan

He's a transhumanist, science fiction author, journalist.

So, Skoop, you're a philosopher I respect, can you explain the gist of transhumanism in lay English? Like bullet points for immortality, etc?

Early voted today and looked him up.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

Re: Repub contender!

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:30 pm

I have done some reading about AI, and some thinking about how much we should think about altering ourselves merely to stay alive (transplants, modern medicine, like that).

But I've never heard of this transhumanism stuff. The bits I read just now make me think if we do stuff to expand our experience of life, that might be OK, but to merely extend our lives, I'm not a fan. Our bodies are not built to live as long as we do already.

If you want a good fictional treatment of this, take a look at Robert Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil, which is from the period of his life where he wasn't getting enough oxygen to his brain, but addresses some of the ideas of transhumanism, I think.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Our bodies are not built to live as long as we do already.
Tell me about it. :(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:46 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:30 pm
I have done some reading about AI, and some thinking about how much we should think about altering ourselves merely to stay alive (transplants, modern medicine, like that).

But I've never heard of this transhumanism stuff. The bits I read just now make me think if we do stuff to expand our experience of life, that might be OK, but to merely extend our lives, I'm not a fan. Our bodies are not built to live as long as we do already.

If you want a good fictional treatment of this, take a look at Robert Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil, which is from the period of his life where he wasn't getting enough oxygen to his brain, but addresses some of the ideas of transhumanism, I think.
Thx, good points with which I agree. I'll check out his book.
Well, then

Lizbit
Four-Footer

#5 Post by Lizbit » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:42 pm

I thought that being transhuman was like being transexual. If I identify more with two-footers than with most of the four-footers I know (and I do!), then I should be treated as human, and I should be able to drive and get a credit card. My mom should give me an allowance, for starters.

I am confident that Bob ###s will agree with me.

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:47 pm

I could get behind a movement that says humans should try to be more like Lizbit.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Lizbit wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:42 pm
I thought that being transhuman was like being transexual. If I identify more with two-footers than with most of the four-footers I know (and I do!), then I should be treated as human, and I should be able to drive and get a credit card. My mom should give me an allowance, for starters.

I am confident that Bob ###s will agree with me.
As long as you can be co-human and not post human...which is too hard for my brain.
Don't get a debit card.
Well, then

wbtravis007

#8 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Bbk! You're looking for someone non-orangish to vote for! Woo-hoo!

Remember how you used to scold me about not voting? Tell you what. I'll vote on Super Tuesday for a Republican, in the Democratic primary, if you will, too.

Mike can do it!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Remember how you used to scold me about not voting? Tell you what. I'll vote on Super Tuesday for a Republican, in the Democratic primary, if you will, too.

Mike can do it!
ICM. Surely u jest. Zoltan?
Well, then

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:

Mike can do it!
I'll write in Shirley Ujest in the primary.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

wbtravis007

#11 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

Mike can do it!
MRB, Baby.

MRB! MRB! If he's good enough for Buffet, he's good enough for me!

C'mon! Everybody!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:46 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

Mike can do it!
MRB, Baby.

C'mon! Everybody!
I'll order a 32 oz full sugar Coke with transfat fries on the occasion of his drop out date.😗
Well, then

Spock

#13 Post by Spock » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Re-Transhumanism and so forth

Hidden Forces is a wide ranging philosophical type podcast of which I have listened to several episodes.

https://hiddenforces.io/

Skimming through the episodes the following episodes jump out as being of possible interest to transhumanism type stuff. I don't think I have caught any of these particular ones. Hell, feel free to listen to any others that catch your eye. Most of them are pretty good.

wbtravis007

#14 Post by wbtravis007 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

MRB, Baby.

C'mon! Everybody!
I'll order a 32 oz full sugar Coke with transfat fries on the occasion of his drop out date.😗

So ... you're saying there's a chance you'll agree to my offer! Cool.

Still plenty of time to decide for sure.

Vote to help your country!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:24 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:43 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

MRB, Baby.

C'mon! Everybody!

You do make me laff.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:26 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:24 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

You do make me laff.
So. You still don't vote?
Well, then

wbtravis007

#17 Post by wbtravis007 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:26 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:

You do make me laff.
Well, at the risk of losing my leverage re: our possible deal, I'll admit that I usually do now. No real reason no to. The fire station where I vote is like a block away from where I'd be driving anyway and there is no line whatsoever. I still wouldn't go to a lot of trouble to vote, though, unless I was worried about a race that might be close enough to possibly end up a tie. And I still think that anybody who says something like "If you don't vote then you're not entitled to an opinion" should have their voter registration nullified right then and there.

Get a load of this, though. Mom, who recently turned 92, needed to renew her license after her birthday in order to have a valid ID to vote. Hasn't been driving for about a year because of peripheral vision deficiency, so she just needed a photo ID issued by DPS. Lines at DPS office are ridiculous. She had put a bunch of necessary documents together -- I'm not even sure what all, but I know one was her birth certificate. Her voter registration card was mailed to PO Box but does show her home address in the country, where they've lived for 46 years. They told her that she needed one other bill or something like that to verify the home address. (Mind you, she had her license, but since that expired a couple of weeks ago, it didn't count.) All bills are mailed to PO Box. Only bill that would show the home address was from the electric co-operative. (No water bill; water well.) Bill had to be no more recent than 30 days or longer ago than 90 days. So, she and Dad got that bill and I took her back to DPS office. Since the bill was addressed to Dad, though, they couldn't use it. Didn't matter that they've been married for 70 years. I had printed off their tax statement for their house, which included her name, from the appraisal district website, but they wouldn't accept that. Needed the actual tax bill. So, we had to get Dad to find his voter registration and, combined with the electric bill and his signature on an affidavit attesting that he could verify that she lived at that address with him, they gave her a temporary ID. Of course, they required that he sign the thing there at the DPS office. Really glad that they're finally doing something about all that voter fraud!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:22 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

You do make me laff.
Well, at the risk of losing my leverage re: our possible deal, I'll admit that I usually do now. No real reason no to. The fire station where I vote is like a block away from where I'd be driving anyway and there is no line whatsoever. I still wouldn't go to a lot of trouble to vote, though, unless I was worried about a race that might be close enough to possibly end up a tie. And I still think that anybody who says something like "If you don't vote then you're not entitled to an opinion" should have their voter registration nullified right then and there.

Get a load of this, though. Mom, who recently turned 92, needed to renew her license after her birthday in order to have a valid ID to vote. Hasn't been driving for about a year because of peripheral vision deficiency, so she just needed a photo ID issued by DPS. Lines at DPS office are ridiculous. She had put a bunch of necessary documents together -- I'm not even sure what all, but I know one was her birth certificate. Her voter registration card was mailed to PO Box but does show her home address in the country, where they've lived for 46 years. They told her that she needed one other bill or something like that to verify the home address. (Mind you, she had her license, but since that expired a couple of weeks ago, it didn't count.) All bills are mailed to PO Box. Only bill that would show the home address was from the electric co-operative. (No water bill; water well.) Bill had to be no more recent than 30 days or longer ago than 90 days. So, she and Dad got that bill and I took her back to DPS office. Since the bill was addressed to Dad, though, they couldn't use it. Didn't matter that they've been married for 70 years. I had printed off their tax statement for their house, which included her name, from the appraisal district website, but they wouldn't accept that. Needed the actual tax bill. So, we had to get Dad to find his voter registration and, combined with the electric bill and his signature on an affidavit attesting that he could verify that she lived at that address with him, they gave her a temporary ID. Of course, they required that he sign the thing there at the DPS office. Really glad that they're finally doing something about all that voter fraud!
Tell me again where you/they live. I agree that's insane.
Well, then

wbtravis007

#19 Post by wbtravis007 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:22 pm
wbtravis007 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 pm
Beebs52 wrote:

Tell me again where you/they live. I agree that's insane.

Washington county. But this isn't a local problem. We're friends with county clerk, who runs the elections, and and I'm sure she hates this. These are new state requirements designed to make it harder to vote. My mother would not be a target here but almost got caught in the net. I'm sure our good friend Lois Kolkhorst voted for this, too. Sad!