Trump Commutes Corruption Sentence of Governor Rod Blagojevich of Illinois

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Trump Commutes Corruption Sentence of Governor Rod Blagojevich of Illinois

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:11 pm

NY Times wrote:WASHINGTON — President Trump has commuted the 14-year prison sentence of former Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich of Illinois, the Democrat who was convicted of trying to essentially sell President Barack Obama’s vacated Senate seat for personal gain, according to a person briefed on the decision.

Mr. Trump commuted the former governor’s sentence on Tuesday and is planning on announcing it soon, taking the action after saying for years that he was considering intervening in Mr. Blagojevich’s case.

By commuting the sentence, the president would free Mr. Blagojevich from prison without wiping out the conviction. Republicans have advised the president against it, arguing that Mr. Blagojevich’s crime epitomizes the corruption that Mr. Trump had said he wanted to tackle as president.

The president’s decision came the same day that he pardoned Edward J. DeBartolo Jr., a former owner of the San Francisco 49ers who pleaded guilty in 1998 to concealing an extortion attempt and eventually surrendered control of his team.

Mr. DeBartolo, the scion of a prominent real estate development family who created one of the National Football League’s greatest dynasties, was prosecuted after agreeing to pay $400,000 in brand-new $100 bills to Edwin W. Edwards, the influential former governor of Louisiana, to secure a riverboat gambling license for his gambling consortium.

Mr. DeBartolo avoided prison but was fined $1 million and suspended for a year by the N.F.L. He later handed over the 49ers to his sister Denise DeBartolo York. His nephew Jed York currently runs the team, which made it back to the Super Bowl this year only to fall to the Kansas City Chiefs.

In conversations with advisers, Mr. Trump has also raised the prospect of commuting the sentence of Roger J. Stone Jr., his longest-serving adviser, who was convicted in November of seven felony charges, including tampering with a witness and lying under oath in order to obstruct a congressional inquiry into whether the Trump campaign conspired with Russia to influence the 2016 election.

Mr. DeBartolo, often called Eddie D., controlled the franchise for 23 years, presiding over the 49ers’ golden era in the 1980s and 1990s when the team won five Super Bowl championships under coach Bill Walsh with legendary players like Joe Montana, Steve Young, Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice. Despite his felony conviction, Mr. DeBartolo was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.

Mr. Trump made no immediate comment Tuesday on his decision but left it to his deputy press secretary, Hogan Gidley, to announce the pardon to reporters. Joining Mr. Gidley at the announcement was a host of N.F.L. legends who supported Mr. DeBartolo, including Mr. Rice, Mr. Lott, Jim Brown and Charles Haley.

“Eddie was like that 12th man that was on that football field,” Mr. Rice told reporters. “You know that this guy, you know, he wanted us to win. And I think he’s the main reason why we won so many Super Bowls. So today is a great day for him. I’m glad to be here and be a part of that.”
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

Re: Trump Commutes Corruption Sentence of Governor Rod Blagojevich of Illinois

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:11 pm
NY Times wrote:WASHINGTON — President Trump has commuted the 14-year prison sentence of former Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich of Illinois, the Democrat who was convicted of trying to essentially sell President Barack Obama’s vacated Senate seat for personal gain, according to a person briefed on the decision.

Mr. Trump commuted the former governor’s sentence on Tuesday and is planning on announcing it soon, taking the action after saying for years that he was considering intervening in Mr. Blagojevich’s case.

By commuting the sentence, the president would free Mr. Blagojevich from prison without wiping out the conviction. Republicans have advised the president against it, arguing that Mr. Blagojevich’s crime epitomizes the corruption that Mr. Trump had said he wanted to tackle as president.

The president’s decision came the same day that he pardoned Edward J. DeBartolo Jr., a former owner of the San Francisco 49ers who pleaded guilty in 1998 to concealing an extortion attempt and eventually surrendered control of his team.

Mr. DeBartolo, the scion of a prominent real estate development family who created one of the National Football League’s greatest dynasties, was prosecuted after agreeing to pay $400,000 in brand-new $100 bills to Edwin W. Edwards, the influential former governor of Louisiana, to secure a riverboat gambling license for his gambling consortium.

Mr. DeBartolo avoided prison but was fined $1 million and suspended for a year by the N.F.L. He later handed over the 49ers to his sister Denise DeBartolo York. His nephew Jed York currently runs the team, which made it back to the Super Bowl this year only to fall to the Kansas City Chiefs.

In conversations with advisers, Mr. Trump has also raised the prospect of commuting the sentence of Roger J. Stone Jr., his longest-serving adviser, who was convicted in November of seven felony charges, including tampering with a witness and lying under oath in order to obstruct a congressional inquiry into whether the Trump campaign conspired with Russia to influence the 2016 election.

Mr. DeBartolo, often called Eddie D., controlled the franchise for 23 years, presiding over the 49ers’ golden era in the 1980s and 1990s when the team won five Super Bowl championships under coach Bill Walsh with legendary players like Joe Montana, Steve Young, Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice. Despite his felony conviction, Mr. DeBartolo was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.

Mr. Trump made no immediate comment Tuesday on his decision but left it to his deputy press secretary, Hogan Gidley, to announce the pardon to reporters. Joining Mr. Gidley at the announcement was a host of N.F.L. legends who supported Mr. DeBartolo, including Mr. Rice, Mr. Lott, Jim Brown and Charles Haley.

“Eddie was like that 12th man that was on that football field,” Mr. Rice told reporters. “You know that this guy, you know, he wanted us to win. And I think he’s the main reason why we won so many Super Bowls. So today is a great day for him. I’m glad to be here and be a part of that.”
"I take my hat off to Donald Trump for what he did," Rice told reporters on the White House's North Lawn.
(Can't say that in the NYT)
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:28 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:24 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:11 pm

"I take my hat off to Donald Trump for what he did," Rice told reporters on the White House's North Lawn (as he pissed away millions of dollars in potential endorsements from advertisers who will be bombarded with professional boycotters and opened a floodgate of hate mail.)
(Can't say that in the NYT)
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:22 pm

So De Bartolo was convicted of literally trying to bribe his way to government action. And Blagojevich literally tried to sell a Senate appointment. Donny issued a pardon on the one hand and commuted a sentence on the other.

And you're okay with that. I don't ever again want to hear you pissing and moaning about the swamp. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:22 pm
So De Bartolo was convicted of literally trying to bribe his way to government action. And Blagojevich literally tried to sell a Senate appointment. Donny issued a pardon on the one hand and commuted a sentence on the other.

And you're okay with that. I don't ever again want to hear you pissing and moaning about the swamp. --Bob
Where did you think I said I was OK with that. My only comment was indicating that the story BJ posted from the BYT left out that quote from Jerry Rice. And that because he said it, people like you will do all they can to punish him.

Since you acknowledge these 2 people should continue to be punished for being part of and taking advantage of 'the swamp', I guess you are implicitly saying there indeed is a swamp and it existed long before trump. So why aren't you pissing and moaning about it? You happy with it as long as it elects democrats?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:04 pm

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:54 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

Where did you think I said I was OK with that. My only comment was indicating that the story BJ posted from the BYT left out that quote from Jerry Rice. And that because he said it, people like you will do all they can to punish him.

Since you acknowledge these 2 people should continue to be punished for being part of and taking advantage of 'the swamp', I guess you are implicitly saying there indeed is a swamp and it existed long before trump. So why aren't you pissing and moaning about it? You happy with it as long as it elects democrats?
Because Donny's actively making it worse. Much worse. Most Democrats do not. And much of what you term the "swamp" is in reality nothing more than decisions that you politically disagree with. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:34 pm

I have a feeling that he's going to commute Roger Stone's sentence very soon.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:34 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:34 pm
I have a feeling that he's going to commute Roger Stone's sentence very soon after the judge makes his decision.

kroxquo

#9 Post by kroxquo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Also pardoned today was Michael Milken and Bernard Kerik. The complete list of commutations or pardons today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/us/p ... rdons.html
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:34 pm
I have a feeling that he's going to commute Roger Stone's sentence very soon.
If he does, I hope it's suicidal.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:48 pm

kroxquo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:08 pm
Also pardoned today was Michael Milken and Bernard Kerik. The complete list of commutations or pardons today:

You broke the link. Use this:

flockofseagulls104

#12 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:04 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

Because Donny's actively making it worse. Much worse. Most Democrats do not. And much of what you term the "swamp" is in reality nothing more than decisions that you politically disagree with. --Bob
Really? On what planet?
Gov B was in jail for trying to sell Obama's Senate seat. De Bartolo was in jail because he didnt declare the bribe that Edwin Edwards required for a casino. Um... Both democrats. I guess they're the only ones, hmmm?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:12 pm
Bob78164 wrote:

Really? On what planet?
Gov B was in jail for trying to sell Obama's Senate seat. De Bartolo was in jail because he didnt declare the bribe that Edwin Edwards required for a casino. Um... Both democrats. I guess they're the only ones, hmmm?
And who prosecuted them? The Justice Department of a Democratic Administration. <*Rhetorical question alert*>
Who's letting them go?

And it was also a Democratic State Legislature that forced Blagojevich out of office. That's in stark contrast to how Republicans -- even Republicans who acknowledged Donny's abuse of the office -- nevertheless were willing to let him off the hook. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#14 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:07 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:54 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Really? On what planet?
And who prosecuted them? The Justice Department of a Democratic Administration. <*Rhetorical question alert*>
Who's letting them go?

And it was also a Democratic State Legislature that forced Blagojevich out of office. That's in stark contrast to how Republicans -- even Republicans who acknowledged Donny's abuse of the office -- nevertheless were willing to let him off the hook. --Bob
President Trump has not done anything to get off the hook for. Accusations without proof are a dime a dozen. You are in the tank.

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:26 am

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:07 am
Bob78164 wrote:

Really? On what planet?
Who's letting them go?

President Trump has not done anything to get off the hook for. Accusations without proof are a dime a dozen. You are in the tank.
White House officials said Mr. Trump had followed recommendations from friends, celebrities and campaign donors in granting full pardons or commutations to 11 people.

flockofseagulls104

#16 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:33 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:26 am
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:07 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Who's letting them go?

White House officials said Mr. Trump had followed recommendations from friends, celebrities and campaign donors in granting full pardons or commutations to 11 people.
Franklin D. Roosevelt: 2,819 pardons
Harry S. Truman: 1,913 pardons
Dwight D. Eisenhower: 1,110 pardons
Woodrow Wilson: 1,087 pardons
Lyndon Johnson: 960 pardons
Richard Nixon: 863 pardons
Calvin Coolidge: 773 pardons
Herbert Hoover: 672 pardons
Theodore Roosevelt: 668 pardons
Jimmy Carter: 534 pardons
John F. Kennedy: 472 pardons
Bill Clinton: 396 pardons
Ronald Reagan: 393 pardons
William H. Taft: 383 pardons
Gerald Ford: 382 pardons
Warren Harding: 386 pardons
William McKinley: 291 pardons
Barack Obama: 212 pardons
George W. Bush: 189 pardons
George H.W. Bush: 74 pardons
Donald J. Trump: 10 pardons* (+ 11 this week)

Barack Obama also granted 1715 petitions for clemency to Donald Trump's 18 (+ the number this week)

The biased press is unsurprisingly going bonkers over Trump's pardons this week. They gave passing notice to the ones Obama granted, which included many convicted domestic terrorists. What's new?

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:40 am

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:33 am
The biased press is unsurprisingly going bonkers over Trump's pardons this week. They gave passing notice to the ones Obama granted, which included many convicted domestic terrorists. What's new?
It's not the number of pardons; it's the process and the timing. That's why a lot of Republican prosecutors are upset about this. Trump is appointing himself the chief law enforcement official with the Justice Department his lackeys. Even for a bottom-feeding lackey like Bill Barr, that might be too much.

flockofseagulls104

#18 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:40 am
It's not the number of pardons; it's the process and the timing. That's why a lot of Republican prosecutors are upset about this. Trump is appointing himself the chief law enforcement official with the Justice Department his lackeys. Even for a bottom-feeding lackey like Bill Barr, that might be too much.
Umm, The President IS the chief law enforcement official. It happens to be his job.

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:49 am

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am
Umm, The President IS the chief law enforcement official. It happens to be his job.
No, the attorney general is the chief law enforcement officer.

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:50 am

Donald Trump's role model in the pardon process:

flockofseagulls104

#21 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:50 am
Donald Trump's role model in the pardon process:

Do you just plan your day around trolling me?

This is apparently what the MSM (or the communications department for the dem party) is going crazy about.
“Just so you understand, I chose not to be involved. I’m allowed to be totally involved. I’m actually, I guess, the chief law enforcement officer of the country. But I’ve chosen not to be involved.”
By any rational definition, the President is the head of the executive branch and was elected to that position. That means he is in charge and has sworn to faithfully execute the laws. So he is the top law enforcement officer, no matter what semantics and 'precedents' are quoted by the batphone contributors. The attorney general, and any other employee of the executive branch (other than the Vice President) report to the president. The attorney general is appointed by the president. Not Congress, Not Nancy or Chuck. He or she serves at the pleasure of the President.

The democrat media is creating another shitstorm out of this quote, in which the president is actually saying he is keeping out of the situation. If he wanted to, he could fire the AG and appoint another. He's already done so. So have many other presidents. He could pardon Stone. But he hasn't. But anything to create a shitstorm for people like you, who are in the tank, to add to your insane outrage.

I really doubt Barr will resign, or that trump will fire him, but the demedia is creating another pseudo-event, just like it did with stories about trump firing rosenstein and mueller. What's new?

And, really, the hitler rule should apply in any discussion. You bring hitler in the conversation, you should be immediately discredited and ignored. It just shows you are totally delusional.

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:15 pm
He could pardon Stone. But he hasn't.
The Justice Department (and the other cabinet departments) were created by an act of Congress, not by the whim of George Washington. Trump plays these games that give himself just enough wiggle room so that he can claim he's innocent, knowing that idiots like you will lap it up. It's the equivalent of a Mafia Don asking for a favor but saying "I'll understand if you don't want to." And it's not just me and the Bobs who ae upset. Over 2,000 former Justice Department officials want Barr to resign after he folded to Trump on the sentencing recommendation for Roger Stone. The independence of the Justice Department from the Presidency is one of the longest held concepts in our federal government. But Barr and Trump want to trash it, with your full support.

And that wasn't Hitler in the clip, just someone whose thought processes are very similar to Trump's.