I Wish I had started counting sooner

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

I Wish I had started counting sooner

#1 Post by Spock » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:27 pm

Books read, that is.

Since about Nov/Dec 2009-Ten years ago, I started keeping track of books read. 903 as of the end of Dec. Mostly non-fiction.

Interesting factoid from a current read. "The British Are Coming" which is Volume 1 of Rick Atkinson's Revolution Trilogy.

About one out of 8 of all British officers killed in combat in the war died at Bunker Hill.

silverscreenselect

Re: I Wish I had started counting sooner

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Spock wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:27 pm
Books read, that is.

Since about Nov/Dec 2009-Ten years ago, I started keeping track of books read. 903 as of the end of Dec. Mostly non-fiction.
I'm up to about 1,500 reviews on Amazon since the summer of 2013 when I got my first Kindle. I would guess that about 2/3 of those are book reviews. However, that number is a bit deceptive, since there are a lot of short stories that are available for sale individually, and if you review a story, it counts as a "book." So, sometimes I will read an anthology and discover that half the stories in the book are available separately and I can generate 6 or 7 reviews from one full-length book. Also, some books have separate listings for different editions, so I can post the same review for several different "items."
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:15 pm

>>>"I'm up to about 1,500 reviews on Amazon since the summer of 2013 when I got my first Kindle. I would guess that about 2/3 of those are book reviews. However, that number is a bit deceptive, since there are a lot of short stories that are available for sale individually, and if you review a story, it counts as a "book." So, sometimes I will read an anthology and discover that half the stories in the book are available separately and I can generate 6 or 7 reviews from one full-length book. Also, some books have separate listings for different editions, so I can post the same review for several different "items."<<<

Have you read Stratton's book on the Wild Bunch? I really have to read that book. A while back there was a long discussion of The Wild Bunch over on Frontier Partisans. It is a movie near and dear to many there.Given the reaction I described it as the "Quintessential Frontier Partisans" movie, which went over very well.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Spock wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:15 pm
Have you read Stratton's book on the Wild Bunch? I really have to read that book. A while back there was a long discussion of The Wild Bunch over on Frontier Partisans. It is a movie near and dear to many there.Given the reaction I described it as the "Quintessential Frontier Partisans" movie, which went over very well.
I've got Stratton's book and a biography of Peckinpah by film historian David Weddle called If They Move... Kill Them. I haven't read either book yet but I'll try to make time soon.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:33 pm

I'm jealous. When I was a kid I'm pretty sure I averaged a book (or more) per day, but nowadays I'm lucky to finish a book a month. That doesn't stop me from buying them anyway, but I'm facing the serious likelihood of simply never finding the time to get to books I'd really like to read. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 am

Spock wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:27 pm
About one out of 8 of all British officers killed in combat in the war died at Bunker Hill.
After that, they learned to duck.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#7 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:04 am

Just finished Malcolm Gladwell's Talking to Strangers and I recommend it
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.