trump and Obama tie for most admired men this year

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

trump and Obama tie for most admired men this year

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:46 pm

This is a clear indication we have a divide deeper than the Grand Canyon in this country. :cry:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: trump and Obama tie for most admired men this year

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Grow up.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Check out the consecutive years withe hrc. How'd that go?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallup% ... woman_poll
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:12 pm

It's not that I have any wish to defend the original post, but I don't think the conclusion is wrong.

It is accurate to say that we are a polarized nation. What was immature about that (if "grow up" means what I think)?
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:23 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:12 pm
It's not that I have any wish to defend the original post, but I don't think the conclusion is wrong.

It is accurate to say that we are a polarized nation. What was immature about that (if "grow up" means what I think)?
Because who gauges anything in their lives or anyone else's by some "poll"?

They mean nothing. We may be polarized but we're always polarized. It's fatuous, specious, disingenuous and any other "us" one wants to use. It's silly.

Do you think I was all excited when Reagan or whomever, women who happened to have high name recognition, were publicized?
Just goofy.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Because Bob draws simpleton conclusions at times.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:59 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:23 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Because who gauges anything in their lives or anyone else's by some "poll"?

They mean nothing. We may be polarized but we're always polarized. It's fatuous, specious, disingenuous and any other "us" one wants to use. It's silly.

Do you think I was all excited when Reagan or whomever, women who happened to have high name recognition, were publicized?
Just goofy.
I disagree with this one: https://www.pollking.com/?should-the-tr ... vestigated
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:33 pm

By any metric, we are more polarized than ever, which would be fine, if some folks weren't nasty about it.

I used to think it was because of the interwebs, where it's easier than before to surround ourselves with peole who reinforce what we think (at least we don't do that on this bored).

But I read a great piece a year or so ago that argued that the moment it started was I think 1996, when cable news networks took root. Because they aren't regulated by the FCC, because we pay for them with cable subscriptions, there is no reason not to have one side all day on the same channel, which any of us can leave on in the background all day, hearing the same view over and over. There are many such networks, and they encourage us to swing even farther to whichever direction we lean. Until we force ourselves to consult many sources, we gut stuck.

I reject most TV news except the programs generated by the local Spectrum office. Because they don't care about ratings, they aren't trying to scare us, and they have local news I can actually listen to. For national and international, I still try to get most coverage from neutral wire services like the BBC and Reuters. Because they have no interest in our clicks, they write American politics in a way I can stand.

There are sources available to us, if we look. It's the basis of a module I do in class on source credibility. The number one rule is, never follow any link presented to you on Facebook or Twitter. Look up the topic on some other feed. Don't reward the bastards with a click.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:05 pm

They're tied in the popular vote, but Trump wins in the Electoral College.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:53 am

jarnon wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:05 pm
They're tied in the popular vote, but Trump wins in the Electoral College.
In 2016, 62,984,828 voted for trump, ‭73,684,448‬ voted against him.

mrkelley23

#11 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:54 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:33 pm
By any metric, we are more polarized than ever, which would be fine, if some folks weren't nasty about it.

I used to think it was because of the interwebs, where it's easier than before to surround ourselves with peole who reinforce what we think (at least we don't do that on this bored).

But I read a great piece a year or so ago that argued that the moment it started was I think 1996, when cable news networks took root. Because they aren't regulated by the FCC, because we pay for them with cable subscriptions, there is no reason not to have one side all day on the same channel, which any of us can leave on in the background all day, hearing the same view over and over. There are many such networks, and they encourage us to swing even farther to whichever direction we lean. Until we force ourselves to consult many sources, we gut stuck.

I reject most TV news except the programs generated by the local Spectrum office. Because they don't care about ratings, they aren't trying to scare us, and they have local news I can actually listen to. For national and international, I still try to get most coverage from neutral wire services like the BBC and Reuters. Because they have no interest in our clicks, they write American politics in a way I can stand.

There are sources available to us, if we look. It's the basis of a module I do in class on source credibility. The number one rule is, never follow any link presented to you on Facebook or Twitter. Look up the topic on some other feed. Don't reward the bastards with a click.
I would go back even further, to the elimination of the fairness doctrine in the 1980s. Combine that with the near-simultaneous rise of the 24 hour news cycle, and you have the roots of our current miasma of propaganda.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:07 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:54 am
Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:33 pm

I would go back even further, to the elimination of the fairness doctrine in the 1980s. Combine that with the near-simultaneous rise of the 24 hour news cycle, and you have the roots of our current miasma of propaganda.
I absolutely agree with 99% of both of y'all's points. Bob attributes polarization to Trump solely even if he didn't say it out loud.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#13 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:26 pm

I would agree that Trump was elected in part because of the extremism, but I don't believe he personally caused it, right. He cashed in, and I do understand appeal of someone who is not the same-old, same-old.
--------

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:46 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:26 pm
I would agree that Trump was elected in part because of the extremism, but I don't believe he personally caused it, right. He cashed in, and I do understand appeal of someone who is not the same-old, same-old.
I do love you Skoop. You always surprise.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:03 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
I guess the same could have said about Hitler.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:38 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:03 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
I guess the same could have said about Hitler.
Happy New Year.
Well, then