Must Boomer Sooner

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Must Boomer Sooner

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Please.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Must Boomer Sooner

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Condolences for LSU OC. Dil victim in plane crash.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:02 pm

I get that Sooner is the mascot but don't know what it IS. Someone who arrived before someone else?

And is Boomer, in this expression, a verb?
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:04 pm

Looked it up. They were opponents, sort of, in the land-claims era.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:20 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:04 pm
Yep
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Owie ouch shit
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:40 pm
Owie ouch shit

You spelled Boomer wrong.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Vandal wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:44 pm
Beebs52 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:40 pm
Owie ouch shit

You spelled Boomer wrong.
We spelled a lot wrong.
Well, then

Earl the Squirrel

#9 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:29 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:02 pm
I get that Sooner is the mascot but don't know what it IS. Someone who arrived before someone else?

I find this interesting. I seem to recall learning about all the land grab and pioneer stuff very early on, maybe even in grade school. Of course, we don't retain everything we learned so many years ago, but maybe it's because I went to school in the southwest. Maybe east coast curricula aren't that heavy on western expansion (assuming you grew up in NC or thereabouts), but have more regional type material that we didn't get (I don't recall much about the Appalachian Trail, for example).

Sprots and Sliver, as two who grew up in my area, do you recall learning about this in school?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:29 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:

I find this interesting. I seem to recall learning about all the land grab and pioneer stuff very early on, maybe even in grade school. Of course, we don't retain everything we learned so many years ago, but maybe it's because I went to school in the southwest. Maybe east coast curricula aren't that heavy on western expansion (assuming you grew up in NC or thereabouts), but have more regional type material that we didn't get (I don't recall much about the Appalachian Trail, for example).

Sprots and Sliver, as two who grew up in my area, do you recall learning about this in school?
I personally learnt it from marrying a sooner. I know I'm not sliver or sprots.
Well, then

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:32 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:

I recall one mention in a high school history class about how the U.S. was settled west of the Mississippi, but I don't remember any details. That would have been from a standardized national curriculum.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#12 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:25 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:

I cannot recall specific references to the terms in middle school or high school, but it's entirely possible that I was busy daydreaming in class that day. It WAS one of the first things I learned when I was required to move to Oklahoma at age 18, however. The major "disconnect" in American history that I faced in those days concerned discussions of suffragettes in the early 20th century. I lived in a state (Wyoming, the "Equality State") where women had held the right to vote since 1869, elected the first woman governor and achieved a number of women's "firsts" in general society and politics at all levels. I grew up knowing that women were valued and could contribute greatly in almost every area. The fact that this evidently was not apparent in most of the rest of the country totally befuddled me.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:16 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
I personally learned about it from watching the movie Cimarron (the Glenn Ford remake).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SpacemanSpiff

#14 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:47 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:

I learned about it in elementary school, but not in the conventional way.

Our school library acquired a copy of "The Fast Sooner Hound" by Arna Bontemps and Jack Conroy when I was in second grade. I asked the teacher about why he was called a sooner hound, since I didn't know of that breed of dog. She explained about the Oklahoma sooners / land rush history.

I do remember (very) brief mentions of it in history books in high school, but it likely wouldn't have stuck if not for the children's book.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:24 pm

I got most of my elementary education in Pennsylvania, and I'm pretty sure we learned at least the skeleton of the history resulting in Oklahoma being nicknamed the "Sooner State." It probably would have been eighth grade. I don't recall learning about the term "Boomer" in connection with the Oklahoma land rush, and in fact until reading this thread I had no clue it was anything other than part of a college football chant. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:34 am

Well, since I was born and raised in Oklahoma, I knew about it - it's almost in my DNA, one might say.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:04 pm
They broke the law by sneaking into the open territory and staking their claim before anyone else --- and are proud of it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.